Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:09:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Final Fantasy VII

Started by bgmnts, June 29, 2022, 02:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Playing this on stream and i'm sort of enjoying the weird story but does the game itself actually get any good? I know a huge amount of gamers have a massive nostalgic bonk on for this but i'm finding it quite dull and tedious to play at the moment and obviously it's aged like Simon Cowell.

Consignia

It's a bog standard JRPG. I quite like it, and it's mechanically quite modern (for a JRPG). But if you aren't getting on with it early doors, I don't see you enjoying it anymore later on it. It gets a tad less linear when you leave Midgar, but it's mostly illusional, with one or two optional side things to do.

Memorex MP3

A lot of the strong feelings for it come from it being an absolute mess of a game; multiple different art styles running throughout and all that. It's hard to be objective about it when it's so hard to compare it to other games, especially if the main thing you like about it is the vibes.

Stigdu

It was my game of the year when it came out in 1997. Are you playing the remake? It's a little linear but still fantastic. They've changed a few things around the characters but I think it works well both as a modern JRPG and a nostalgia trip.

bgmnts

I'm playing the original ported to the Xbone so it has the fast forward feature and all that jazz.

But yeah i'm passed midgard and just had a dolphin launch me up to a pylon so i suppose i'll bin it if it doesnt get better than this.

Shame though because the story has weird little anti-capitalist and environmentalist subtexts which i'm quite keen on, but the characters are so dull it doesn't matter. Guess I missed the boat on this.

Pink Gregory

I would have been exactly the right age for this but because I didn't have a Playstation until 1-2 years later I got FF8 instead and that's such a radically different game not only to 7 but Final Fantasy in general that I've never really been interested in 7.

dontpaintyourteeth

I'm sure it's aged like milk but I was the right age for it when it originally came out so my personal judgement is rather clouded by nostalgia. I have it on steam, got a save where I'm readying myself to fight Emerald Weapon, which is the only bit that's actually a challenge

Lemming

You do sort of have to be about 13 and easily tricked into thinking it's "deep" to get the most out of it. The plot doesn't make sense even before you get into the fact that it's been translated by someone who doesn't seem to speak fluent English.

The cosmo canyon music is fucking wicked though.

oggyraiding

Cloud is a very offputting main protagonist. More so than Squall. At least Squall had a gunblade. Cloud is just a boring twat with a run of the mill big sword.

Crenners

Get on the amphetamines ASAP.

🤣🤣🤣

Mobius

I found the recentish remake a load of linear boring bollocks tbh

Dickie_Anders

I played the original for the first time about two years ago, and found that it had a lot of charm. I enjoyed the pre-rendered backgrounds and a lot of the silliness, the stupid minigames etc. The Gold Saucer is the peak for me of this silly little sci-fi world they've created, where polygon people live

The story is weird and needlessly convoluted, which is a shame because it starts quite well. The gameplay is pretty braindead most of the time. The only main characters with any actual personality are Barrett, Cid and Yuffie and they don't get that much focus overall. It's a good game but I don't think you're gonna like it if you've played the first few hours and aren't feeling it

bgmnts

Quote from: Crenners on June 29, 2022, 07:29:47 PMGet on the amphetamines ASAP.

🤣🤣🤣

Will this make the game better because i'm willing to try!

The Mollusk

Quote from: Lemming on June 29, 2022, 05:27:32 PMThe cosmo canyon music entire soundtrack especially the Golden Saucer theme is fucking wicked though.

Can't argue with this

Glebe

Been half tempted to purchase this from the Xbone store of late. Loved it back in the day on me PS1.

bgmnts

Quote from: Glebe on June 29, 2022, 10:16:04 PMBeen half tempted to purchase this from the Xbone store of late. Loved it back in the day on me PS1.

Yeah don't see why not, like the other ported FFs it has a fast forward mode and a button to give you unlimited limit breakers etc so you can have fun with it.

It's also a fiver on Steam now if anyone is interested.

Capt.Midnight

Quote from: Lemming on June 29, 2022, 05:27:32 PMYou do sort of have to be about 13 and easily tricked into thinking it's "deep" to get the most out of it.

Absolute tosh! Custom materia systems, a tree-shaped theme park full of mini games, Chocobo breeding and a 3D map totally blew my mind when it first came out.

I may have been 13 years old at the time.

Glebe

Quote from: bgmnts on June 29, 2022, 10:49:30 PMYeah don't see why not, like the other ported FFs it has a fast forward mode and a button to give you unlimited limit breakers etc so you can have fun with it.

It's also a fiver on Steam now if anyone is interested.

I'm just afraid of half my life being eaten away again.

bgmnts

Quote from: Glebe on June 29, 2022, 11:16:12 PMI'm just afraid of half my life being eaten away again.

Well now you can speed the game up by x3 so only.... (i dunno, a sixth?).. of your life will be eaten away!

Glebe

Quote from: bgmnts on June 29, 2022, 11:18:56 PMWell now you can speed the game up by x3 so only.... (i dunno, a sixth?).. of your life will be eaten away!

Great! And with the spare time I can play Resident Evil or summit!

fortune palace

replayed this recently for the first time since I was about 11, and I was struck by how lifeless and empty the world map is. properly desolate vibe, especially when the meteor turns up and the background music goes all minor-key. the towns and dungeons are all great, though - plenty of character, even now.

it was my first proper RPG, and I remember being blown away by what then seemed like a living, breathing world on a disc. my child-brain was clearly doing a lot of heavy lifting.

Crenners

Get on the Hyper* ASAP 😂😂😂

*This is an item in FF7 which cures the Sadness status effect.

Not even the best Final Fantasy in the Beatles. I haven't played them all, but V, IX and XII are my favourites. I played a load of them last year and while I can see why VII was important for bringing the genre to the masses, it's very clunky and ugly today.

dontpaintyourteeth

IX is the best one, just for the town where everyone speaks in a Scottish accent

popcorn

I'll never forget seeing some footage of this on telly when it was new - it must have been on GamesMaster or something - and being absolutely astonished by the FMV cutscenes. Then I borrowed it from a kid in school. I'd never played a JRPG before (they were barely released in Europe before FF7) and I was fucking scandalised.

You were supposed to take turns to hit each other? And you control things through fucking menus? It flew in the face of everything video games were supposed to be - which is to say they ought to be responsive, alive, urgent, like Sonic the Hedgehog. Outside the combat, exploring the world felt like sliding a crap toy soldier on top of a photograph. It was all so turgid and dead.

Then only a year later I played Panzer Dragoon Saga, which was so sweeping and cinematic and beautiful and weird, and that demonstrated to me how RPGs could be, and that made me hate FF7 even more.

A decade later, I finally went back and played through the first few hours of FF7, but thought it was just boring and ugly. I am aware, however, that this has robbed me of a critical piece of video game pop culture knowledge, and I still don't really know what the fuck Sephiroth is or whatever. Forum avatars didn't make sense to me for years.

In conclusion, I love Panzer Dragoon Saga.

bgmnts

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on June 30, 2022, 10:06:02 AMIX is the best one, just for the town where everyone speaks in a Scottish accent

This is true generally but yes Scots Town is ace.

Weirdly, revisiting VIII and IX (VIII less so) was an absolute joy and held up extremely well.

dontpaintyourteeth

I'm sure Panzer Dragoon Saga was very good but my only childhood memory of that was my friend Geoff not letting us play it, so ff7 still wins the nostalgia battle

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: bgmnts on June 30, 2022, 10:32:39 AMThis is true generally but yes Scots Town is ace.

Weirdly, revisiting VIII and IX (VIII less so) was an absolute joy and held up extremely well.

Always found VIII quite rough. I know it's very easy if you know how to exploit the junction system but it still isn't much fun for me. I have played through it again recently though and I killed all the difficult monsters on the oil rig or whatever

bgmnts

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on June 30, 2022, 10:37:18 AMAlways found VIII quite rough. I know it's very easy if you know how to exploit the junction system but it still isn't much fun for me. I have played through it again recently though and I killed all the difficult monsters on the oil rig or whatever

Oh I barely know how to make full use of the junction system but it is an interesting mechanic. I just think I enjoy the aesthetic and batshit story.

popcorn

BTW my offer of letting anyone who wants to borrow Panzer Dragoon Saga still stands. PM me if you want a go.