Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 10:57:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

great albums with one notably shite song

Started by dontpaintyourteeth, July 21, 2022, 07:43:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dontpaintyourteeth

Abbey Road (Maxwell's Bastard Silver Hammer)

Rumours (Oh Daddy)

Meddle (Seamus)

less boomer examples welcome

SpiderChrist

lazyhour

Nancy and Lee: You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling

Video Game Fan 2000

Sweet Black Angel stinking up Exile
I can't go for Here He Comes on Before and After Science

The Mollusk

"Yellow Submarine" on Revolver. Even the more plodding pedestrian tracks on that album are miles better than that dreary whimsical sack of shite.

The Mollusk

Most Ween albums, even at their best, have at least one duffer. Pure Guava and Chocolate And Cheese are two of the best albums I've ever heard but "Mourning Glory" and "Candi" respectively are both absolute piddle, skipped without hesitation every time.

I was tempted to nominate "Ice Castles" off White Pepper as well but that's at least listenable and pleasant enough.

dontpaintyourteeth

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on July 21, 2022, 08:17:45 PMPeking O off Tago Mago.

*slams down pint so hard that beer hits the ceiling*  first of all,

Video Game Fan 2000

Tomorrow Never Knows more like This Song Blows

Greg Torso

Quote from: The Mollusk on July 21, 2022, 08:14:38 PMMost Ween albums, even at their best, have at least one duffer. Pure Guava and Chocolate And Cheese are two of the best albums I've ever heard but "Mourning Glory" and "Candi" respectively are both absolute piddle, skipped without hesitation every time.

I was tempted to nominate "Ice Castles" off White Pepper as well but that's at least listenable and pleasant enough.

I fucking LOVE Mourning Glory and used to quote it often with my bff when we be sunbathing together by the lake "why would he be such a fucka to me..."

Candi is shit though.

Natnar

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on July 21, 2022, 07:43:52 PMRumours (Oh Daddy)

Oh Daddy is a great moody Christine classic. I'd say I Don't Want To Know is the Rumours stinker.

dontpaintyourteeth

I suppose it's boring to talk about the Beatles anymore but Mr Moonlight off Beatles For Sale. Absolute toss.

lazyhour

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on July 21, 2022, 08:07:36 PMI can't go for Here He Comes on Before and After Science

OMG! That's one of my favourites on the album! The way the vocal melody compliments the chord change into the chorus is aural bliss to my ears.

dontpaintyourteeth

Brundle-Fly

The plodding extended studio version of Too Much Too Young on The Specials debut album. What was Costello thinking?

Ernold Same on Blur's The Great Escape. Quite nice string arrangement but rather a pointless endeavour. I never had a problem with Country House. How do you like dem apples (& pears)?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Sean Ymphs on July 21, 2022, 08:31:40 PMBig Day from Skylarking.

I love Big Day, one of Colin Moulding's finest lyrics IMO. There's not a single duff track for me on that masterpiece but then I would say that.

Greg Torso

"Attack on Love" off Electr-O-Pura, thanks for ruining the mood with two minutes of tossed off SHITE guys, and right before the best song on the whole record.

daf

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on July 21, 2022, 08:29:27 PMI suppose it's boring to talk about the Beatles anymore but Mr Moonlight off Beatles For Sale. Absolute toss.

Should have called it 'Beatles Are Knackered' - half the songs on that album are Hamburg bincake!

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 21, 2022, 08:34:22 PMThe plodding extended studio version of Too Much Too Young on The Specials debut album. What was Costello thinking?

Ernold Same on Blur's The Great Escape. Quite nice string arrangement but rather a pointless endeavour. I never had a problem with Country House. How do you like dem apples (& pears)?

He Thought of Cars, Best Days, Yuko and Hiro, Globe Alone are all good. Country House is an abomination. Weird album really. A mixed bag

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: daf on July 21, 2022, 08:40:46 PMShould have called it Running on Fumes - half the songs on that album are Landfill Merseybincake!

It's probably not a great album, no. I withdraw my remarks. Mr Moonlight is shite though.

The Mollusk

The Mollusk

Quote from: Greg Torso on July 21, 2022, 08:24:06 PMI fucking LOVE Mourning Glory and used to quote it often with my bff when we be sunbathing together by the lake "why would he be such a fucka to me..."

I'll admit it's not complete and utter pap but it's not what I want to hear on that album at all. If it were on The Pod I'd be much more accommodating but even with an album as off the wall and frequently crass and stupid as Pure Guava I just don't think it fits at all.

Sebastian Cobb

pigamus

non capisco

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 21, 2022, 08:37:09 PMI love Big Day, one of Colin Moulding's finest lyrics IMO. There's not a single duff track for me on that masterpiece but then I would say that.

Heresy to a lot of fans but I've never got on with Dear God at all, the one big XTC hitter that I'd go so far as to say I dislike. That tone deaf kid at the start can fuck right off up the road. Everything else on Skylarking is mint, Big Day included.

The Mollusk

I was trying to think of the shit song on that album and yeah it is "Dear God", really really crap song.