Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,471
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 03:27:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

great albums with one notably shite song

Started by dontpaintyourteeth, July 21, 2022, 07:43:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Video Game Fan 2000

There's a few songs on Skylarking that I can't stand and Big Day isn't one of them. Dear God, Supergirl and The Man Who Sailed Around His Soul are far worse.

The opening its your BIG DAAAAY is a bit of a cringe but its clearly intentional.

dontpaintyourteeth

Oh bless you all for saying that. I never did like that song. It's the one my American friends always seem to like. I guess atheism isn't as cringe over there.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: non capisco on July 21, 2022, 09:31:46 PMHeresy to a lot of fans but I've never got on with Dear God at all, the one big XTC hitter that I'd go so far as to say I dislike. That tone deaf kid at the start can fuck right off up the road. Everything else on Skylarking is mint, Big Day included.

I never considered Dear God as a Skylarking track but merely a B side. Sorry Americans.

dontpaintyourteeth

I think its original status was appropriate, yeah.

non capisco

Terry Chambers stayed backstage for Dear God when Ex-TC played it, as if to say "I wasn't in the band at the time, nothing to do with me mate."

Video Game Fan 2000

if Spitting Image ever did John Lennon it would have been Dear God

non capisco

Drums & Wires is nearly perfect apart from That Is The Way which is just sort of ok-ish. Black Sea for the win, I love everything on that.

the science eel

normally 'It Ain't Easy' off Ziggy Stardust pops up in these threads

I don't mind it myself

Video Game Fan 2000

I like It Ain't Easy but Soul Love can go whistle

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 21, 2022, 08:34:22 PMThe plodding extended studio version of Too Much Too Young on The Specials debut album. What was Costello thinking?

Totally agree. If it ended in the same place as the live version it would be fine, but it drags on for so long it kills the momentum of the album.

I've grown accustomed to 'We Will Fall' from The Stooges debut, but it does slow down the album at the wrong time. I don't know where I'd put it on there though.

Da Capo by Love is one of the greatest half albums of all, but unfortunately the other half is 'Revelation'. I don't hate it as much as some heads, but it's definitely a letdown after Side One.

Video Game Fan 2000

luv We Will Fall
luv La Blues
luv Mass Production
luv Turn Blue
ate AFRICAN MAN
simple as

the science eel

'Strictly Confidential' on Roxy's otherwise outstanding FYP

ProvanFan

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on July 21, 2022, 09:34:23 PMDear God, Supergirl and The Man Who Sailed Around His Soul are far worse.

Very wrong

The Culture Bunker

The version of 'My Own Way' on Duran Duran's 'Rio' aboslutely honks (and I'm aware plenty will say the whole album does). If only they'd put the Night mix of the single recording on there instead.

Ambient Sheep

I love Seamus, have never got the hate for it.  San Tropez is indeed a more worthy candidate, but still don't think it qualifies for this thread.

kalowski

Quote from: The Mollusk on July 21, 2022, 08:11:30 PM"Yellow Submarine" on Revolver. Even the more plodding pedestrian tracks on that album are miles better than that dreary whimsical sack of shite.
So wrong.

Brundle-Fly

Kankurette

Jet Pilot is the only song on Toxicity I'd skip. And I wouldn't even say I hate it, it's just poor by SOAD standards.
Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on July 21, 2022, 07:43:52 PMAbbey Road (Maxwell's Bastard Silver Hammer)
LIES.

On the subject of Soul Love, Cerys Matthews did a great cover but I admit her voice is a bit Marmite.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: non capisco on July 21, 2022, 09:39:03 PMTerry Chambers stayed backstage for Dear God when Ex-TC played it, as if to say "I wasn't in the band at the time, nothing to do with me mate."

But Ex-TC play a few post Terry XTC numbers though.

Quote from: pigamus on July 21, 2022, 09:15:28 PMTwisted on Court and Spark
Raised On Robbery is the track off that album I can't abide

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: Kankurette on July 21, 2022, 10:28:14 PMLIES.

I slagged Maxwell's Silver Hammer off on twitter once and got a bit of pushback on there too. Each to their own, I just find that song really annoying. Don't always hate Macca whimsy but sometimes it boils my piss

non capisco

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 21, 2022, 10:29:23 PMBut Ex-TC play a few post Terry XTC numbers though.

I know, because it's one of the few XTC songs I don't like it just amused me that they started their second set with an acoustic Dear God and Terry wasn't arsed to pop back out til it had finished. A man after my own heart.

Kankurette

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on July 21, 2022, 10:33:24 PMI slagged Maxwell's Silver Hammer off on twitter once and got a bit of pushback on there too. Each to their own, I just find that song really annoying. Don't always hate Macca whimsy but sometimes it boils my piss
I appreciate I'm in a tiny minority of Beatles fans who like that song. Piggies, on the other hand, can fuck all the way off.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: the science eel on July 21, 2022, 10:04:47 PM'Strictly Confidential' on Roxy's otherwise outstanding FYP

this is the inevitable WRONG reply to this post

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: Kankurette on July 21, 2022, 10:36:28 PMI appreciate I'm in a tiny minority of Beatles fans who like that song. Piggies, on the other hand, can fuck all the way off.

I am one of the few defenders of that song haha. And Revolution 9 rules as well. Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da and While My Guitar Gently Weeps are the ones I always dread on that album.

purlieu

Beatles-wise, I like the novelty ones for the most part. I dislike most of the 'back to our roots' material post-'67, which is admittedly about a third of the White Album. Oh Darling is the only song I don't like on Abbey Road, although I wouldn't go so far as to call it shite.

Quote from: SpiderChrist on July 21, 2022, 07:46:37 PMThe Lexicon of Love - 4ever 2gether

Get to fuck, best song on there.
Quote from: Ambient Sheep on July 21, 2022, 10:17:56 PMI love Seamus, have never got the hate for it.  San Tropez is indeed a more worthy candidate, but still don't think it qualifies for this thread.

When I've had this conversation before, people have always complained that it's 'silly'. Floyd has to be SERIOUS.

Morning Bell/Amnesiac (always a skipper)
We Have Explosive (I know some people love this but I've disliked it since 1996)
Moving (horrible Suede song)

dontpaintyourteeth

there's certainly a few b-sides that could have gone on that first Suede album instead of Moving. I think they've admitted as much.

Brundle-Fly

Not really a 'proper' album but the meat'n'two veg blues number, 'Biding My Time' on the 1971 Pink Floyd comp, Relics. It was a previously unreleased Waters track from Ummagumma sessions. For me, it is monochrome compared to the rest of the psychedelic treats. Thank god, 'Bike' cycles in to restore order at the end of the LP.

purlieu

Relics is a proper waste anyway. Imagine how good a 1967-1971 non-album-tracks compilation would be in its place.

SweetPomPom

Across The Universe has no right to be on Young Americans, especially at the expense of the far superior outtakes.