Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 12:11:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

great albums with one notably shite song

Started by dontpaintyourteeth, July 21, 2022, 07:43:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: SweetPomPom on July 21, 2022, 11:09:42 PMAcross The Universe has no right to be on Young Americans, especially at the expense of the far superior outtakes.

correcto

Bennett Brauer

I love Steely Dan too much to skip it, but The Fez on The Royal Scam is, if not shite exactly, quite empty and uninspired by their standards.

Rolf Lundgren

I'm no big fan of Dear God but Skylarking's clinker is definitely The Man Who Sailed Around His Soul.

Sloop John B is not a bad song but it doesn't belong on Pet Sounds.

dontpaintyourteeth

did anybody say Student Demonstration Time yet

Video Game Fan 2000

Love Sloop John B

surprised Rocky Raccoon hasn't come up yet, because I love it and it seems to be second hardest White Album track to defend after Bungalow Bill

The Other Window on 154 is embarrassing to listen to, especially the concept/joke of doing an operatic version of a punk thrash is lost to time. They had a pile of great experimental and industrial out takes too. Why not Former Airline?

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on July 21, 2022, 11:12:51 PMI'm no big fan of Dear God but Skylarking's clinker is definitely The Man Who Sailed Around His Soul.

I'm posting it for that! Yah boo sucks it's a great song and a fantastic arrangement.

the science eel

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on July 21, 2022, 10:40:43 PMthis is the inevitable WRONG reply to this post
tell me what's worse off that album

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: the science eel on July 21, 2022, 11:21:14 PMtell me what's worse off that album

afraid of posting my actual opinion on this one

its one of my favourite records all in all

the science eel

Video Game Fan 2000

Famous Mortimer

I was going to pick "Giggy Smile" off of Faust IV, because I remember always being vaguely annoyed by it as a teenager. But I just popped it on and it's great. So, er, I don't know, I just wanted to be involved in this thread.

Video Game Fan 2000

if this thread reaches ten pages itll be the flat roof pub of Oscillations

Greg Torso

right, i'm not going to call it "shite", but considering how deeply engraved upon my soul the other five songs on Spiderland are, i can never remember what "For Dinner" even sounds like.

The Mollusk

non capisco

Play In The Sunshine off Sign 'O' The Times. It doesn't exactly stink it out but I've always thought it was a right load of nothing compared to the rest of the album. Track 2 and all.  Hurry up and get to Housequake.

dontpaintyourteeth

I enjoy how that vocal coda segues into Housequake though. SHUT UP ALREADY.

Memorex MP3

I Really Like You on Emotion just feels horribly out of place and is definitely one of the weaker tracks on that album. Being the lead single and that Tom Hanks music video were enough to push me over into finding it actively crappy.

SweetPomPom

There are no bad tracks on Sign Of The Times.

(Slow Love is a bit much.)

Brundle-Fly

I've just tried to do Hunky Dory. People usually go for Fill Your Heat as the clunker but the warm brass is too gorgeous for that dismissal. Ach, it's impossible.

BJBMK2

Beatles again. Sorry.

The double whammy of Flying and Blue Jay Way off of Magical Mystery Tour, is interminable. Foggy, murky, lysergic laziness of the highest order.

London Loves, off of Parklife. Always just found the sound of it annoying. Magic America is about the same, but that one's at least funnier and shorter.

non capisco

Hunky Dory, Station To Station, Low and Blackstar are all impeccable, I reckon.

I don't love Watch That Man off Aladdin Sane just because the mix is so frustrating. Decent enough song but for some reason they chose to make it sound like he was singing in a different postcode to the Spiders. It's not like Jagger being deliberately murky in the mix on most of Exile On Main Street which adds to the loose limbed druggy ambience. It sounds more like a mistake that was never corrected. 

BJBMK2

Quote from: non capisco on July 22, 2022, 12:39:59 AMHunky Dory, Station To Station, Low and Blackstar are all impeccable, I reckon.

I don't love Watch That Man off Aladdin Sane just because the mix is so frustrating. Decent enough song but for some reason they chose to make it sound like he was singing in a different postcode to the Spiders. It's not like Jagger being deliberately murky in the mix on most of Exile On Main Street which adds to the loose limbed druggy ambience. It sounds more like a mistake that was never corrected. 

From what I understand, it was a mistake they corrected, and then UnCorrected, cos they preferred the muddy, Exile-esque mix.

non capisco

I figured that was the case as it's the same on all the remasters. I really don't like it though, it's always sounded to me like Bowie's vocal should be front and centre on that song the way it is on something like Jean Genie. It annoys me in much the same way the shitty 'boink boink boink' snare sound does on Game Of Pricks by Guided By Voices. This should be amazing but it sounds slightly off.

BJBMK2

Any Colour You Like - Dark Side Of The Moon. Pointless jamming designed to fill space and nothing more. Although it's not QUITE as obnoxious as Underture, off of Tommy. At least Any Colour doesn't go on for nearly ten minutes and repeat the same theme over and over. And over.

Curiously, an old mate used to claim Any Colour as his fave track off DSOTM, which baffled me in all honesty.

the science eel

Quote from: BJBMK2 on July 22, 2022, 12:33:44 AMBeatles again. Sorry.

The double whammy of Flying and Blue Jay Way off of Magical Mystery Tour, is interminable. Foggy, murky, lysergic laziness of the highest order.

London Loves, off of Parklife. Always just found the sound of it annoying. Magic America is about the same, but that one's at least funnier and shorter.

all wrong

SweetPomPom

La Gloria on Wild! is unpleasantly shrill, could have benched that and replaced it with Supernature.

Blur were pretty consistent but Top Man on Great Escape is a load of old nothing.

sutin

Triumph Of The Will on DEVO's Duty Now For The Future. Entirely unpleasant, and not in a good early DEVO way.