Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 08:28:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

2022 Common Wealth Games Birmingham

Started by TrenterPercenter, July 28, 2022, 10:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrenterPercenter

It was pretty great tbf. Sat in King Kong park while the Red Arrows flew overhead. A massive fuck-off bull. Many, many mentions of the JQ. Joe Lycett. Fireworks going off all over the place.

DrGreggles

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: A Hat Like That on July 29, 2022, 09:45:15 AMIt was pretty great tbf. Sat in King Kong park while the Red Arrows flew overhead. A massive fuck-off bull. Many, many mentions of the JQ. Joe Lycett. Fireworks going off all over the place.

Yeah joking aside they did a great job.

Enzo

Quote from: A Hat Like That on July 29, 2022, 09:45:15 AMIt was pretty great tbf. Sat in King Kong park while the Red Arrows flew overhead. A massive fuck-off bull. Many, many mentions of the JQ. Joe Lycett. Fireworks going off all over the place.

Was the bull actually real or one of those AR things they do at american football?

Quote from: Enzo on July 29, 2022, 06:37:33 PMWas the bull actually real or one of those AR things they do at american football?

It's now in Centenary Square.

bgmnts

Genuinely thought the commonwealth didnt even exist anymore.

Marathon around my way, so stood out by the 1000 Trades with a breakfast bap from about half nine until whenever the Solomon Island's Sharon FIRISUA went past. Really good morning tbh.

Off to the Rugby 7s tonight.

Icehaven

Quote from: Enzo on July 29, 2022, 06:37:33 PMWas the bull actually real or one of those AR things they do at american football?

Quote from: A Hat Like That on July 31, 2022, 12:14:46 PMIt's now in Centenary Square.

We walked past it last night on the way to the pub, it's massive and looks brilliant all lit up, although as someone else pointed out it bears a striking similarity to

shoulders

HAHA

After all that no medal for Peaty

shoulders

Oh my god the bbc employ Sharron Davies

Rugby 7s a very solid day out. Sat in the cheap seats but got a pretty close view of a Samoan post game Siva Tau and the Scottish side doing their own ritual, namely getting a few beers in and chatting to fans. Loads of Fiji fans.

Not sure I can watch owt today, but its 3 x 3 parabasketball and basketball on Tuesday night.

It's a Brum ting... It's a Brum ting.

Is it the worst intro music made by the BBC for a sporting event?

Icehaven

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on August 02, 2022, 10:10:11 PMIt's a Brum ting... It's a Brum ting.

Is it the worst intro music made by the BBC for a sporting event?

I walked past the big screen in Victoria Square yesterday and there was some completely embarrassing tourist board rap playing about going for a drink in Brindley Place and taking the kids to the Sealife Centre and so on, absolutely dire. Even the bloke doing it looked ashamed.

I had two guys DJing with indian drums and dancing behind them. Eh, it was alright.

3x3 basketball very fun to watch. The wheelchair games were more passing-based. The men's final was almost a brawl - England won in over-time. The women's final was the best of both - won in the last 2.6 seconds by Canada. England have a player called Jump.

Vague feel of a carpark about the venue.

Just has a stroll down the road to watch the cycling time trial. Really nice atmosphere with plenty of enthusiastic support from the locals. Think I'll pump the tyres up later and ride the route myself to see how I compare with the elite.

Uncle TechTip

Atmosphere at the athletics last night was amazing, such a contrast to the flat attendance at the Worlds the other week. Brilliant women's 10k race with McColgan saying plainly that it was the crowd noise that made her dig deep and find that spurt on the home straight. All major athletics championships should be held in this country.

Norton Canes

This 3x3 basketball thing, right...

Who the fuck looks at basketball, a game specifically designed with as little fannying about in midfield as possible, where the teams generally eschew the centre of the court entirely as they hurtle from end to end in order to assuage the American fans' fears that play may get bogged down for vital seconds in some interminable passing play, a game that concentrates its action almost exclusively around the net shooting areas... who looks at that, and thinks, "Hmm, this needs a bit of condensing"?

Norton Canes

Irine Cheptai must be so embarrassed to go back to Kenya and admit she lost the 10,000m to a Scottish pylon with legs like trebuchets

jobotic

Went for a run last night, ran for as long as McColgan, did half the distance then stacked it and have completely fucked my ankle. Thought I'd broken something at one point.

Leave it to the professionals.

Blumf

How come the cycling time trials have a shorter route for women than men? Marathons share the same route between sexes and this cycle trail route is also a stamina contest rather then brute strength, so women should be capable. They're even running the women's and men's trails at different times, so it's not like you have to worry about the route getting clogged.

Could have sent the time trial around the old Tour of the Black Country route. Out from the Aldersley velodrome all the way to the outskirts of Kidderminster and back. 20 sections of off-road.

No medals. Just a lump of coal.

Thursday

Quote from: Norton Canes on August 04, 2022, 12:01:15 PMThis 3x3 basketball thing, right...

Who the fuck looks at basketball, a game specifically designed with as little fannying about in midfield as possible, where the teams generally eschew the centre of the court entirely as they hurtle from end to end in order to assuage the American fans' fears that play may get bogged down for vital seconds in some interminable passing play, a game that concentrates its action almost exclusively around the net shooting areas... who looks at that, and thinks, "Hmm, this needs a bit of condensing"?

To be fair, the best version of basketball is NBA JAM on the megadrive and that was 2 vs 2

sevendaughters

English girl who won gold in the 10m dive is Fred from First Dates' kid.

jobotic

Crenners

Maddie Hinch, legendary England hockey goalie, just saved 4 out of 5 in the 'peno shootout'. England into the final to face Oz or India. Great result to get at least silver.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Some of these male swimmers have GOT to be on steroids. There's a British lad there who's built like Schwarzenegger in the 70's.
Test his piss.

Beach Volleyball QFs last night. Had a delightful hour or so sat around the games park before taking my seat.

Other than Sri Lanka ladies having a proper go in the second set, all a wee bit one sided. But another enjoyable evening.