Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 08:31:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

cinch Heritage: Scottish Premiership Thread 2022/23

Started by Joe Qunt, July 29, 2022, 09:39:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the hum

Record defeat by a long way for Utd in Europe. Previous was 4-0 against, ironically a Dutch side, Vitesse Arnhem in 1990.

Does highlight, as if it needed highlighting, the frightening exponential financial gap between the Old Firm and the rest.

(EDIT: partial retraction. They lost 5-0 to Dynamo Moscow in 2012.)

jamiefairlie

Yes Archie, no Archie, here's a chance Archie

Wooooooooft!

kngen

Kyogo and GG on the scoresheet, Jota puts in a new contender for his personal Goal of the Season competition, two overhead kicks and that big streak of pish Kyle Lafferty subbed with jeers ringing in his ears. Not a bad day's work. Could have been far more if it wasn't for that ridiculous pitch - even the Killie players were slipping around on their arses, totally outfoxed by the RNG nature of its bounce.

Quote from: GMTV on August 09, 2022, 10:06:10 PMin here for a quick drink of those delicious bitter tears.

Hope you enjoyed your not-quite-a-day at the top of the league. Normal service has been resumed.

Joe Qunt

If you'd have said Greg Taylor would have two MotM games before September, I'd have laughed. He looks so good now, super impressed with him.

kngen

Quote from: Joe Qunt on August 14, 2022, 02:21:09 PMIf you'd have said Greg Taylor would have two MotM games before September, I'd have laughed. He looks so good now, super impressed with him.

That pass for the first goal was world class!

Joe Qunt

Quote from: kngen on August 14, 2022, 02:36:27 PMThat pass for the first goal was world class!

And to think we have the best right back and left back in the world!

Joe Qunt

Only way the game could've been better? If  Lafferty got a heart attack and died.

Blinder Data

I miss away goals.

Rangers finally have to play a second leg away from home so hopefully their incredible luck in Europe is running out and PSV finish the job next week.

If they do qualify though, my main worry is that you just know that they'll get an easy group and their stodgy style is set up to get results. Meanwhile, I wouldn't be surprised if Celtic are the highest-scoring side not to qualify from the Champions League group stage this year.

Joe Qunt

Quote from: Blinder Data on August 17, 2022, 10:31:44 AMIf they do qualify though, my main worry is that you just know that they'll get an easy group and their stodgy style is set up to get results. Meanwhile, I wouldn't be surprised if Celtic are the highest-scoring side not to qualify from the Champions League group stage this year.

I hope neither of those predictions come true.

From the highlights it seemed they had a pretty miserable time of it. PSV will do what those Belgian pushovers couldn't and batter them.

As for us, I'd be pleased with third in an average group. If we get lucky and are handed some Lithuanian/Belarusian dross then I'd want us to top the group. We have the quality to do so.

GMTV

Played pretty well last night, but a stroke of luck with the PSV keeper throwing one in the net offset some very some dodgy defending. PSV started to put some nice play together, and could've comfortably won if they had their shooting boots on. Really needed to take a win to the second leg to stand any chance. Can't see us getting through unfortunately.

Getting to this stage got us an extra 5 million, so that plus a decent europa league run would be good again this season.

privatefriend

Was excited to watch Bernabei but seems he is a bam, hopefully Ange sorts him out. Left back position seems cursed post-Tierney.

Joe Qunt

Quote from: privatefriend on August 17, 2022, 04:15:28 PMWas excited to watch Bernabei but seems he is a bam, hopefully Ange sorts him out. Left back position seems cursed post-Tierney.

I've seen this cause a lot of arguments on Sellic twitter. My opinion is that he should be punished accordingly and given a second chance. CalMac did something similar at his age and look how he turned out. Best not to scar on the first cut.

the hum

Hearts probably lucky to escape with a 2-1 defeat there. They knock the ball about quite well at times, but they were outmuscled for much of that, and look shonky at the back.

Povidone

Attempting to take in the magnitude of how badly things are going at Dundee Utd. To think I was touting them for top six mere pages ago, poor Jack Ross could be out of a his second SPL job in as many seasons. It's not losing badly in Europe (Hibs had a 7-0 loss against Maribor (I think) years ago and they got over it) but losing 3-0 to fucking St Mirren is relegation form.

Meanwhile I'm feeling a bit more optimistic looking at that Hibs team, was skeptical about Boyle coming back as we've brought back many club 'legends' to no avail, I suppose he was only away for 6 months and didn't spend the time languishing on a bench over in Glasgow. Youan looks a decent player and linking up nicely with Boyle, team is starting to come together.

I can almost admire Lee Johnson's determination to continue playing bombscare Bushiri, I suppose if you accidentally sign a player you might as well commit to his development.

Joe Qunt

Quote from: Povidone on August 23, 2022, 10:13:19 AMAttempting to take in the magnitude of how badly things are going at Dundee Utd. To think I was touting them for top six mere pages ago, poor Jack Ross could be out of a his second SPL job in as many seasons. It's not losing badly in Europe (Hibs had a 7-0 loss against Maribor (I think) years ago and they got over it) but losing 3-0 to fucking St Mirren is relegation form.

Reckon he'll be sacked if he loses to Livi, lucky he's got a free pass against us or he'd be out on his arse. What I don't understand is how they've got such little desire to win this early in the season. Watching the highlights, they conceded weak as piss goals. Every player just gave up. Depressing stuff for Tangerines fans.

Also, must be pretty insulting for Ross if Jackie McNamara is telling you how to keep your job.

Blinder Data

Lots we're predicting a hilarious Hibsy season but the competition is so bad/inconsistent, they could be mostly crap and still qualify for Europe. The only surety is Celtic and Rangers in the top spots, with Hearts solid in third. The rest might as well be picked at random.

Scottish clubs are run by myopic chairmen with zero medium to long term thinking. It felt like the American fella who bought Hibs had a bit of a strategy ("best of the rest and prioritising developing most promising Scottish players" apparently) but he's made some serious misjudgements along the way.

Also, Nielson is a fud. Scottish refereeing is bad enough without acting as if two yellow card fouls don't equal a red.

the hum

Quote from: Povidone on August 23, 2022, 10:13:19 AMAttempting to take in the magnitude of how badly things are going at Dundee Utd. To think I was touting them for top six mere pages ago, poor Jack Ross could be out of a his second SPL job in as many seasons. It's not losing badly in Europe (Hibs had a 7-0 loss against Maribor (I think) years ago and they got over it) but losing 3-0 to fucking St Mirren is relegation form.

Their wage bill must be insane vs their income 'n all - Fletcher won't be on bobbins that's for sure. Unfortunately he's quite obviously finished as a player. Reminds me of when Brian McClair went back to Motherwell at the end of his career and was utterly abysmal. Not sure he even played half a dozen games before packing it in for good.

Pleasantly surprised at the upturn in Motherwell's fortunes since the Sligo debacle and the departure of Graham Alexander. Things really had gone sour with him after a solid start. Yet another unlikely win at Aberdeen showed that some players in the team can actually play football - who knew! Hopefully it's not just the 'new manager bounce'.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Joe Qunt on August 23, 2022, 11:03:31 AMReckon he'll be sacked if he loses to Livi, lucky he's got a free pass against us or he'd be out on his arse. What I don't understand is how they've got such little desire to win this early in the season. Watching the highlights, they conceded weak as piss goals. Every player just gave up. Depressing stuff for Tangerines fans.

Also, must be pretty insulting for Ross if Jackie McNamara is telling you how to keep your job.

Who would you replace him with though??? Give John Hughes another roll of the dice? Graham Alexander?

Joe Qunt

Quote from: monkfromhavana on August 24, 2022, 10:35:41 AMWho would you replace him with though??? Give John Hughes another roll of the dice? Graham Alexander?

Alexander seems likely. Tommy McIntyre is a bit of a braver choice, Shaun Maloney, Glass maybe? You are right though, not much in terms of quality managerial choices.

AllisonSays

Quote from: the hum on August 23, 2022, 04:19:31 PMTheir wage bill must be insane vs their income 'n all - Fletcher won't be on bobbins that's for sure. Unfortunately he's quite obviously finished as a player. Reminds me of when Brian McClair went back to Motherwell at the end of his career and was utterly abysmal. Not sure he even played half a dozen games before packing it in for good.

Fletcher looked past it in his last season at Sunderland and that was probably a decade ago! Good player, lovely touch but deathly slow even then.

Two Headed Sex Beast

Quote from: monkfromhavana on August 24, 2022, 10:35:41 AMWho would you replace him with though??? Give John Hughes another roll of the dice? Graham Alexander?

Mark McGhee for the comedy value, hopefully.
Stephen Glass would be a downgrade from Jack Ross. Maybe they should go for a bigger English name, Allardyce and Pardew are available aren't they? (it would be a meagre destroy and exit payday for them though)

Joe Qunt

Quote from: Two Headed Sex Beast on August 24, 2022, 02:52:36 PMMark McGhee for the comedy value, hopefully.
Stephen Glass would be a downgrade from Jack Ross. Maybe they should go for a bigger English name, Allardyce and Pardew are available aren't they? (it would be a meagre destroy and exit payday for them though)

Give it Giggsy me 'til the end of the season. I took Dumbarton up to the Championship in 2025/26, should be a piece of piss.

monkfromhavana

Thing is, I have no clue who the thrusting young bucks of the Scottish football manager scene are.

Peter Grant? Jim McInally? Tommy McLean?

Joe Qunt

Quote from: monkfromhavana on August 24, 2022, 02:59:16 PMThing is, I have no clue who the thrusting young bucks of the Scottish football manager scene are.

Peter Grant? Jim McInally? Tommy McLean?

Your man at Raith is apparently the next big thing.

monkfromhavana

Ian Murray?? I think if he was any cop he'd have got his chance by now.

I suppose there's Mark Fotheringham, but would I leave my assistants post at Wolfsburg to manage Dundee United?? Probably not. Ian Cathro?