Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 11:08:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Best introductions to songs

Started by Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead, July 29, 2022, 10:53:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Barry White's spoken intro to Just the way you are.

Almost posted this in the "worst" thread, but it belongs here

Quote from: curiousoranges on August 11, 2022, 07:50:36 PMBarry White's spoken intro to Just the way you are.

Almost posted this in the "worst" thread, but it belongs here

In my view, Billy Joel's version of that song was better, with his eschewing the cheesy speech at the start being just one reason why.

the science eel

Not trailing through the thread to see if this has been posted, but it is categorically the best introduction to any song ever

after 30 seconds it's just another Faces song

Fonz

Another vote for California Girls, esp the DLR version, plus Gimme Shelter.

I'll add 'Can't you hear me knocking'

Fonz

And 'So What'. Miles, not ANWL, tho that's fucking great, too

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: the science eel on August 12, 2022, 08:37:04 AMNot trailing through the thread to see if this has been posted, but it is categorically the best introduction to any song ever

after 30 seconds it's just another Faces song

ah magic song though

dontpaintyourteeth

Was going to say Little Baby Nothing but it would have to include the snippet from Streetcar at the beginning and I can't seem to find that version

Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead

@SOMK nominated Fiesta by the Pogues. Surely the best Pogues intro - and arguably their best track - is this one:

Armed Traffic Warden

Golf Girl from In the Land of Grey and Pink by Caravan

Honestly, it's not the best but it's nice and gives a good 'introduction' to the album.

famethrowa

Quote from: Armed Traffic Warden on August 12, 2022, 02:57:05 PMGolf Girl from In the Land of Grey and Pink by Caravan

haha this is a real song?? "I'm your fairy godmother and I'm going to shop you to the police, you dirty bastard!"

TheMonk

It's the first eight seconds of Gloria by Laura Brannigan, innit? The song would be  much less without it.
Can't hear this song these days without picturing Trump and his cronies listening to it while his imbecilic followers storm the Capitol, though.

studpuppet

A perfect intro to a perfect song:

And Whosampled.com says this one's been sampled 228 times, and we all know which bit - it's a helluva start:

Video Game Fan 2000

McChesney Duntz

McChesney Duntz

Ooh, ooh, just thought of one - my first listen to this was a true mind-expander, and this intro sets the beautifully-overturned table just perfectly:

pupshaw

A song you can name after the very first drum hit. The first four hits are a mini masterpiece, and when
the Clavinet comes in... well it's not just the intro.

dontpaintyourteeth

Lots of potential answers in the Stevie Wonder catalogue- Higher Ground, Living for the City, Sir Duke... and that's just some of the obvious ones. What about the proto-House banger Race Babbling?

pupshaw

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on August 14, 2022, 09:15:24 AMLots of potential answers in the Stevie Wonder catalogue- Higher Ground, Living for the City, Sir Duke... and that's just some of the obvious ones. What about the proto-House banger Race Babbling?

This one too.

Video Game Fan 2000

The opening bars of Misstra Know-It-All are so euphoric but so chill, its a perfect ironic compliment to it being a stinging put down of Nixon. On a higher plane, high minded but never high handed.

Opening lick and proto-Michael Jackson screech of We Can Work It Out is brilliant too.

Glyn

I get so few phonecalls that it often suprises me to remember that I set this as a ringtone