Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:10:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Supermassive Black Hole in your wallet: Muse release NFT album

Started by DJ Bob Hoskins, August 01, 2022, 03:38:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJ Bob Hoskins

Of course they would.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/aug/01/muse-release-nft-edition-album-will-of-the-people-charts

Opinions on the band's music aside, are NFTs the logical next step for the music industry, or just a load of MP3 / JPG S4C?

[Spoiler: it's the latter. Although there's every chance I'll re-read this post in 5 years, by which time someone out there will have sold their Muse NFT collection for 86 million dollars and I'll be kicking myself.]

Art Bear

"As with other NFTs, the original buyer can resell it, and 15% of the resale price will revert back to the band and the rights owners – Warner Music for the sound recording rights and Universal Music Publishing for the composition rights."

Shades of Garth Brooks wanting a cut of the sales of his second-hand CDs.

purlieu

Glad to see their desire for an end to fossil fuels began and ended at naming their own sub-label Helium 3. I mean it fits with their schlocky sci-fi aesthetic, but also goes against their eco-conscious worries.

The Mollusk

Quote"There has been loads of noise about NFTs being the future of music, the future of entertainment, the future of ownership," says Martin Talbot, chief executive of the OCC.

Imagine being that stupid.

Goldentony

Quote from: DJ Bob Hoskins on August 01, 2022, 03:38:21 PMOpinions on the band's music aside, are NFTs the logical next step for the music industry

It's the music industry's corpse clinging onto any opportunity to make money again, so for them it probably does make sense aye. It's the same cunts selling everyone jigsaw puzzles and coloring books and funko pops and 45 euro tshirts to people who've been convinced "LIVE MUSIC" is a personality trait.

It's all scam bullshit for dickheads, every bit of it. Worthless. If you need a chief executive to tell you what the future of what you enjoy is, or a band of sub Radiohead geography teacher perverts tell you they want you to buy into a piece of them then do not believe them, they're cunts.

Kankurette

Of course Muse did this. Of course they did. They disappeared up their own Supermassive Black Holes once Uprising came out and Bellamy got into conspiracy theories.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: DJ Bob Hoskins on August 01, 2022, 03:38:21 PMOpinions on the band's music aside, are NFTs the logical next step for the music industry, or just a load of MP3 / JPG S4C?

Well the NFT is bascially just a digital receipt that says you own the mp3, and there's nothing to stop someone copying that mp3 indefinitely and passing it around, it's just all the people who take that copy won't have the digital receipt saying it's theirs.

That lack of receipt, or physical product, didn't seem to hold filesharers back...

A crypto zealot could argue that a system could be put in place such that rightful nft holders are the only ones who can stream an artists' music in some sort of spotify-like platform, but you wouldn't actually need nft's to implement that sort of rights management if the service stored who owned what itself, but that's not fun or interesting to randian cryptobros so they prefer not to talk about it. I'm not arguing either version of this system would be good, as it absolutely wouldn't, but the crypto part (and associated computational and energy costs to prop it up) is unnecessary.

Although to be honest this seems quite behind the curve as seemingly a lot of dedicated crypto zealots have seen the nft hype appears to have mostly died before it really got traction beyond some things selling for insane money, and have moved on to the next scam.

Pink Gregory

It's just creating a new asset with an extremely shakily assured 'value' that is only useful for exchange.

You get the impression that it's fairly immaterial whether it's an album or an in-game item or a thumbnail of a chimp.

imitationleather

NFTs? Cor, not heard about them for ages.

Feel proper nostalgic for the heady days of 2021 now.

BeardFaceMan

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: imitationleather on August 01, 2022, 10:14:10 PMNFTs? Cor, not heard about them for ages.

Feel proper nostalgic for the heady days of 2021 now.

I can't wait for the anniversary deluxe-edition Record Store Day reissue NFTs.

ProvanFan

I want your soul

Give me your soul

Ooooooh broken soul

Look at my dark soul

Souls in space

popcorn

Quote from: purlieu on August 01, 2022, 04:02:04 PMGlad to see their desire for an end to fossil fuels began and ended at naming their own sub-label Helium 3. I mean it fits with their schlocky sci-fi aesthetic, but also goes against their eco-conscious worries.

They have no eco-conscious worries. Not one. Zero.

All of Muse's anti-establishment themes are purely dressing up. Little boys playing with exciting concepts like they're toy soldiers. It's unbelievably boneheaded. Like, you can roll your eyes at Greenday writing protest albums or whatever, but they're sincere about it.

Muse just sing about "they" who are "oppressing us" etc but haven't the foggiest who they might mean. It wouldn't even occur to them to think they're supposed to mean anyone.

Kankurette

Ferris

Muse are about as edgy as the circle of construction paper I cut for my toddler to "make something" out of, but inevitably he scrunches it up and throws it in the paper recycling. About as creative and artistically valid too.

Thought they were shit first go round, and I only learned a few of their songs so a girl would kiss me (worked, once).

They've served their purpose. NFTs or not, into the bin they go.

Pink Gregory

Very popular with BIMM students, I'm reliably informed.

The Mollusk

Hardcore Muse fans are the type of people who go about wearing "Make Orwell Fiction Again" shirts after reading the wiki synopsis for 1984.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Ferris on August 02, 2022, 02:23:46 AMThought they were shit first go round, and I only learned a few of their songs so a girl would kiss me (worked, once).

I mindisc'd a copy of a muse album for myself back in school because a girl I fancied without a cdr drive got me to copy it for them in the hope of impressing them. It didn't work for me and I also concluded they were shit, probably eventually recorded over it with some garage or jungle from one of the pirate stations.

Kankurette

I went out with a weird Christian bloke who was a massive Muse fan, I think he even made a compilation for me with loads of B-sides and obscure tracks and stuff. I like them, but not THAT much.

Chollis

supermassive white dogshit

i liked origin of symmetry when it came out, that intro to Newborn really got me air-guitaring on my bed. i was 11

Kankurette

Absolution was the last decent album they did before they went full wally.

idunnosomename

Quote from: ProvanFan on August 01, 2022, 11:58:44 PMI want your soul
*LOUD INHALE*
Give me your soul
*LOUD INHALE*
Ooooooh broken soul
*LOUD INHALE*
Look at my dark soul
*LOUD INHALE*
Souls in space

Always fun to completely ruin Muse in the day by pointing out Matt Bellamy's non-existent breathing technique that you cant unnotice. Not sure if he ever sorted that out as I havent had to hear them for like twenty years

Sebastian Cobb

Isn't that the sort of thing a vaguely competent studio engineer could edit or gate out?

Ferris

Quote from: Chollis on August 02, 2022, 12:47:26 PMsupermassive white dogshit

i liked origin of symmetry when it came out, that intro to Newborn really got me air-guitaring on my bed. i was 11

state of this

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 02, 2022, 01:02:46 PMIsn't that the sort of thing a vaguely competent studio engineer could edit or gate out?

I'm incompetent and even I could manage it. In fact I'd go one better and say "mate stop doing this" and save us all some time.

I suspect it's a creative decision to do it in the first place and leave in. Like he's heard about breathy music and not really understood what it is so he's doing this and no one is allowed to disagree with him.

Sebastian Cobb

I mean yeah, even if he can't help breathing like that he could move away from the mic.

dontpaintyourteeth

ProvanFan

The Mollusk

Quote from: Chollis on August 02, 2022, 12:47:26 PMi liked origin of symmetry when it came out, that intro to Newborn really got me air-guitaring on my bed. i was 11

Uhh that's a piano mate?