Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,582,207
  • Total Topics: 106,728
  • Online Today: 897
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 04:49:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Big Brother coming back?

Started by Ja'moke, August 01, 2022, 08:01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Ja'moke on August 02, 2022, 11:34:50 AMSo far, they seem to be promising a more back-to-basics format with contestants from "all walks of life."

It's also only going to be 6 weeks long.

Oh right, sorry, I just skimmed through the thread before.
Fingers crossed then!

oggyraiding

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on August 02, 2022, 01:27:50 PMWhich comedian would host Big Brother's Big Mouth?

Tom Allen or Joe Lycett.

sevendaughters

clearly just going to be Continuity Love Island though Love Island was kind of a Continuity Big Brother when it got revamped.

Bad Ambassador

Does this mean they'll be cancelling the three hour blocks of Family Guy repeats they show seven days a week? I don't know how I'll cope.

madhair60

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on August 02, 2022, 03:54:47 PMDoes this mean they'll be cancelling the three hour blocks of Family Guy repeats they show seven days a week? I don't know how I'll cope.

I'll kill myself if they do this. I will slit my fucking throat.

Norton Canes

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on August 01, 2022, 10:34:16 PMPretty pathetic that I got chills hearing the music again

Did they carry on using that little sting they always put in between scenes which samples the bit from the beginning of Leftfield's Original? Always thought it was weird that one of my favourite songs had its life extended in such a strange way.

Wadded Beef

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on August 01, 2022, 10:34:16 PMPretty pathetic that I got chills hearing the music again.

Pretty good tune on its own, to be honest.

Ambient Sheep

I wonder where they're going to film it?  The old BB House at "Elstree" (actually Borehamwood) is no more; I believe it's now been converted to their "Platinum Stage(s)".

Apologies if that's mentioned under one of those links on the previous page.

daf

This is Davina, feel free to say fuck or bugger!

Replies From View

What's the point of Big Brother for anyone here now?  The only series that had any pretensions of being a social experiment was the very first one; since then it's only been a platform for shrieking attention-seekers to get themselves known and in the tabloids, which I know I'm not alone here in not reading.

So what's the point, as far as you're concerned?

up_the_hampipe

It doesn't make much sense to me when people talk about the very first series, or first couple of series, as the good ones and act like all the ones after have just been full of Jade Goody's running around screaming. The early series are very dull. The idea of a social experiment is good, the reality was not good television, apart from when Nasty Nick was caught writing the names.

I've always enjoyed it because it's a hodgepodge of different personalities from all sorts of backgrounds, it's actually reality television as opposed to other shows that have tried to emulate it, and the attention-seeking, supposedly fame-hungry types are often exposed over the long process (I'm disappointed that the new series is apparently only going to be 6 weeks). The brutal nature of the game breaks away the facade. It's a social experiment that's been made suitable as an entertainment programme.

And that's just the civilian version. I think the celebrity version speaks for itself.

Replies From View

If they were highlighting how people's squawking make-me-famous personas were being pulled apart by the process it would be somewhat interesting; they seemed to just revel in the vacuity and gossip though, and reward the celebrity-seeking mentality.

Uncle TechTip

But in the early years the celebrity aspect was a fascinating angle - the essence of 15 minutes of fame. This culminated in celebrity bb series 4 where they passed off a member of Joe Public as a celebrity. Good old Maggot from Goldie Lookin Chain was happy to put himself as least famous. It was a great insight into how "proper" celebrities see themselves when they can't put on an act for 24 hours over 3 weeks.

Maybe the celebs in that series knew what was going on but their reactions certainly gave the impression they didn't.

I mean you don't have to buy into it once it's over, who gave a fuck if the Sun was wall to wall BB coverage, what insight did it push aside for its readers.

You watched the show and enjoyed the interaction and the conflict. I think most of the contestants reconciled with each other in the years after.

Surely the Shilpa Shetty story taught a lot of young people some good things and made at least some people reflect on how they treat others of a certain type.

Replies From View

What was the Shilpa Shetty story?  Wasn't it that somebody was racist about her and was booted out, or did they fail to get booted out and died of cancer instead?

I just remember everyone being narcissistic and insufferable.  If you recall a programme with people having more compassion and intelligence than that, I commend you.

Just off the top of my head you had a publicly accepted trans woman win in 2004, a blind contestant, British Asians featuring on TV, a black gay Tory before diversity in parliament. All were given fair coverage on the show.

sevendaughters

There was a sweet spot between the 'it's a sociology experiment' and the 'this is absolute hell' era where it was a little bit knowing and camp and capable of producing some funny moments.

In the year (BB5) of the great trans acceptance you did also have virulent racism from Emma and the cameras going off when Victor may or may not have biffed a woman. That year also had Ahmed going gen_mentz as they helpfully stuck a 44 year old Muslim in with a bunch of people precision-engineered to test his every belief.

BB6 was off-the-chain debauched and I probably paddled through BB7 out of fealty. Seeing Ziggy and Chanelle looking miserable in BB8 made me feel miserable too, so I junked it. Oh yeah that also had the Emily racism scandal too.

I stand that the David Gest Is Dead thing from CBB a few years ago is one of the funniest things ever on television, but idk that the show has enough moments in the positive column to offset all the nastiness and shit it has unleashed on the world - Ken Tong, Andrew Tate, Jo from S Club, that Scouse one - to name a few.

thr0b

Best winner ever was Rachel. Hated by all, including Davina, simply for being a bit bland and normal. She was great. I liked Rachel.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on August 03, 2022, 07:05:25 AMJust off the top of my head you had a publicly accepted trans woman win in 2004, a blind contestant, British Asians featuring on TV, a black gay Tory before diversity in parliament. All were given fair coverage on the show.

Agreed, it was actually quite good representation for the time, except for when they hit the blind guy with a ball https://twitter.com/rymoffat/status/1554218257661444097

daf

Quote from: thr0b on August 03, 2022, 11:43:18 AMBest winner ever was Rachel. Hated by all, including Davina, simply for being a bit bland and normal. She was great. I liked Rachel.

She was such a sweetheart - lovely bum too!

thr0b

Quote from: daf on August 03, 2022, 12:35:45 PMShe was such a sweetheart - lovely bum too!

Both correct facts. Wanted her to win from the outset just because she was NORMAL. She wasn't playing to the cameras. She'd have been far more at home in the BB2 house.

daf

Her and BB2 Helen - my two favourites!

Replies From View

Big Brother is an excellent programme to watch if you don't like people who play up to cameras.

mjwilson

Quote from: Replies From View on August 02, 2022, 11:25:01 PMWhat's the point of Big Brother for anyone here now?  The only series that had any pretensions of being a social experiment was the very first one; since then it's only been a platform for shrieking attention-seekers to get themselves known and in the tabloids, which I know I'm not alone here in not reading.

So what's the point, as far as you're concerned?

ITV needs ad money

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: thr0b on August 03, 2022, 11:43:18 AMBest winner ever was Rachel. Hated by all, including Davina, simply for being a bit bland and normal. She was great. I liked Rachel.

Me too!  Could never figure out Davina's obvious and unprofessional hate for her.  Jealousy?

Concur with all else that's been said about her.

Quote from: sevendaughters on August 03, 2022, 10:50:47 AMSeeing Ziggy and Chanelle looking miserable in BB8 made me feel miserable too, so I junked it. Oh yeah that also had the Emily racism scandal too.

Yeah, BB8 was a real struggle, mainly because of the narcissistic aggressive nightmare that was called Charley.  Constantly ruined the whole thing.  Came close to giving up on it a few times myself, certainly skipped a few episodes, which up until then was unthinkable.

up_the_hampipe

Davina and some of the other housemates hated Rachel cos she was "boring", which she was a bit. But at least she was a genuinely lovely person and that was rewarded. I loved BB9 but there was a bunch of bastards in that house and it was great to see Rachel sweep the prize money from under them.

Hundhoon

Watch Series 10 the cult classic series with Halfwit,Bea, Marcus and evil Lisa David and Rodrigo, the most underrated series
Best example of a post Ofcom series.
Brilliant series  in 2009 but with bit more booze and loosening of boundaries it would have been more wild. Its deserved way more viewers. Really great series post ofcom proved the series still worked in right environment this series seems to growing upon fans every year

Despite Ofcom really great series it gets much better in second half  about month of it day 45 to 75 is 100 percent up there with series 5 6 and 7...

The Mollusk

Quote from: Wadded Beef on August 02, 2022, 06:17:16 PM
Pretty good tune on its own, to be honest.

Trance will never not be good music.

sevendaughters

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on August 04, 2022, 12:38:39 AMthe narcissistic aggressive nightmare that was called Charley.  Constantly ruined the whole thing.  Came close to giving up on it a few times myself, certainly skipped a few episodes, which up until then was unthinkable.

my favourite bit was when she got told that her cousin the famous footballer for Man Utd that I am related to had been transferred to Sunderland by a late-arriving housemate.

oggyraiding

I liked Emily's "middle class white girl trying to be cool" by saying "wow you're really pushing it out n****" to Charley when dancing and then getting evicted for racism. Just looked it up, this was only a few months after the Jade Goody/Shilpa Shetty fiasco. A very racist year for the Big Brother population.