Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:28:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Big Brother coming back?

Started by Ja'moke, August 01, 2022, 08:01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sevendaughters

Totally Essex, Belo's concept, had loads of the same people. They didn't just nick the idea, they nicked everything.

Yeah, Victor was great. Him singing that love song, I think it was "I'll make love to you, like you want me too" that one, backdoor boys, is it? Lying face down on the floor and dragging himself out of the house by his fingers was my favourite bit.

It was sometimes hard to tell when he was play-acting being angry and when he'd genuinely boiled over during his fights with Emma, which was a bit scary. You'd sometimes see a smirk flash across his face, but sometimes not. Same with her.
I think they did genuinely wind each other up at times.
It must have been a nightmare for the people calling shots about when they should break things up or let it run for megatelly.
"No, hang on, he's throwing a fairy cake, it's fine. I saw a smile there, she's throwing a scotch egg, it's all fine. Metal tray! Table! Send in the truncheon men!"

I wasn't a huge fan of Brian, he was playing it far too dumb for my money, but he did have a great moment in the diary room where big brother goes "which village people song starts with the words `young man`"
and he goes "they all do!" :D

Utter Shit

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on August 12, 2022, 02:40:47 PMYeah, Victor was great. Him singing that love song, I think it was "I'll make love to you, like you want me too" that one, backdoor boys, is it? Lying face down on the floor and dragging himself out of the house by his fingers was my favourite bit.

It was sometimes hard to tell when he was play-acting being angry and when he'd genuinely boiled over during his fights with Emma, which was a bit scary. You'd sometimes see a smirk flash across his face, but sometimes not. Same with her.
I think they did genuinely wind each other up at times.
It must have been a nightmare for the people calling shots about when they should break things up or let it run for megatelly.
"No, hang on, he's throwing a fairy cake, it's fine. I saw a smile there, she's throwing a scotch egg, it's all fine. Metal tray! Table! Send in the truncheon men!"

The difference between Victor/Jason and Emma/Michelle is that Victor and Jason were, at least to some extent, smart. Emma and Michelle were way too thick to engage in psychological games with, they just got angry straight away.

Looking back, it's a properly mad show that tells us so much about how TV was changing during that period. The first series was so innocent and seemed like a genuine experiment - put a load of randoms in a house together and just see what happens. Within a few years you could tell the producers' intentions just from the intro videos, one person says "I can't stand snobs" and then an immediate cut to the next contestant, an overt snob. Cue ten weeks of the production team prodding them into fights.

Nasty Nick became a national disgrace for manipulating votes in a way that was actively encouraged as part of the game within a few years, while they were comfortable showing Ahmed having a breakdown a few series' later. I don't know if BB was to blame for that change or just highlighted a wider issue but it ended up eating itself.

I think the series with Kemal, Science etc was the breaking point - it was still entertaining, but that was the point it became clear they just wanted 'characters' who would cause drama than normal people who were generally alright but might crack occasionally under the pressure and weird conditions.