Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:20:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Always Drama in the Vanarama - Season 2

Started by finnquark, August 03, 2022, 08:38:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finnquark

Another year of drama from the Vanarama begins this weekend, so new thread for non-league needed.

Predictions:

Champions - Chesterfield
P/O - Wrexham to beat Notts in the final
Relegated - Dorking, Maidenhead, Maidstone and Eastleigh

Alty - 15th. Making the move to full time status saw us lose 7 players with 1800+ games for us. We also lost one of our best 3 players Mooney, to Southend for compensation money as an under 23. We've signed some decent replacements, notably Lundstram from Crewe and a couple of talented young full backs, but I'm unsure where the goals are coming from. Somehow we've managed to keep hold of Colclough, but not sure we've got enough attacking power for a top half finish. Marriott and Kosylo, two of pur starting 11, are both out until Xmas already, so could be a shaky start. I'll be delighted with a tedious mid-table season as we adjust to full time football.

finnquark

1-1 draw against 10 man Maidstone to start. Tinpot highlights of the weekend were the Welsh FA having forgotten to give international clearance to a keeper we signed from Connah's Quay, and Chesterfield's Lucas Covolan. Arrived with a rep for being a mad man in goal,  and was sent off after half an hour of his debut for stamping on an opponent.

The super sexy Spireites were bossing it as well until the dim-witted Covolan lost his head.

Wrexham huge favourites but I think we will do well this season. Good in preseason and the new signings look the business plus Tshimanga to return. Wrexham have the negative of Phil Parkinson whilst we have the far superior Paul Cook: we play them a week on Tuesday and that will be a good indicator of where we are.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Wentworth Smith on August 07, 2022, 10:15:20 PMThe super sexy Spireites were bossing it as well until the dim-witted Covolan lost his head.

Wrexham huge favourites but I think we will do well this season. Good in preseason and the new signings look the business plus Tshimanga to return. Wrexham have the negative of Phil Parkinson whilst we have the far superior Paul Cook: we play them a week on Tuesday and that will be a good indicator of where we are.

Covolan got sent off for us in the opening game last season, and then again a few months later, which is why he's with you lot now. Seems like a lovely man and has his talents (really helped us with the high press last year) but what a fucking clown.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: finnquark on August 03, 2022, 08:38:59 AMPredictions:

Champions - Chesterfield
COME ON YOU SPIREITES

When I moved 6 years ago, I feel like they were doing alright, got a nice new park out of town (to replace the one that was so run down it doubled as a 70s stadium in "The Damned United"), then they went to whatever beyond shit is. Like, they kept getting relegated to the point I think they ran out of leagues to put them in. Nice to see them predicted as champions of something again.

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on August 08, 2022, 08:39:07 PMCOME ON YOU SPIREITES

When I moved 6 years ago, I feel like they were doing alright, got a nice new park out of town (to replace the one that was so run down it doubled as a 70s stadium in "The Damned United"), then they went to whatever beyond shit is. Like, they kept getting relegated to the point I think they ran out of leagues to put them in. Nice to see them predicted as champions of something again.

When Famous Mortimer left town the club went beyond shit. Coincidence?

Famous Mortimer

They were annoyed my one-game-a-season ticket sale wasn't there any more. Although I did use to go to the car boot sale in the car park of the new stadium fairly regularly.

finnquark

Tinpot alert: Alty were due to appoint this man to the board, possibly as CEO, but now they are not. I cannot imagine why an ex-NFL player with no experience in football was deemed unsuitable for running a newly professional team

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on August 08, 2022, 08:39:07 PMCOME ON YOU SPIREITES

Think I've mentioned it before but I left the UK in January 2007 having just watched Oldham beat Nottingham Forest 5-0 and move into the League One promotion spots. Since then I've tried to go to as many home games as possible and some away whenever I've been in the country, and not seen a single victory. In that time the team has been through two relegations, two administrations, several owners, a thousand managers, has not achieved a single top-half finish in any division since 2009, and has now become the first team to have played in both the Premier League (post-92) and National League.

The Boxing Day/New Year's Day fixtures I hope to go to see them play Notts County: one of my first games was the same, when both sides were in the top division.

Beagle 2

I'm trying to keep up with it this year to show some support to my hometown club York, although whether I'll actually find the time to get to see them is debatable. Anyway, based on watching ten minutes of highlights from the weekend I reckon Notts County for the title, they looked brilliant.

The Lurker

Scunthorpe 3-1 down away to Maidenhead. Alan Devonshire'd, it happens to the best of the them. Welcome to the Vanarama, you'll be lucky if you make it out alive.

jobotic

Inspector Norse

Oldham v Dorking live on BT Sport for some reason. Tuned in just in time to see Hallam Hope doing what he does best and missing from five yards.

Edit: he scored five minutes later. HERE WE GO mid-table finish is on here

finnquark

0-0 away to Bromley, played 40 mins with our no 9 in goal. Welsh FA still haven't faxed over the paperwork for a player we signed in June.

In a clash of the Vanarama titans Chesterfield played Hollywood Wrexham off the park. Great game in proper football weather (pissing it down) with a good crowd. Wrexham were poor (route one and zero imagination) and barely had a shot worth the name. The Spireites were classic Paul Cook high press, ping it around, and could easily have had four or five. Lovely stuff.

Absolute belter of an FA Cup game for West Didsbury away at Northwich Vics last night. Came back from a goal down to lead 2-1, only for Northwich to get an undeserved equaliser with two minutes to go. West then attack straight from the kickoff and whack one in from 30 yards to win it. Magic!

kalowski

Early days, of course, but relegation spot battle today between Altrincham and Yeovil. Could really do with our first win of the season.

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on August 20, 2022, 08:15:25 AMAbsolute belter of an FA Cup game for West Didsbury away at Northwich Vics last night. Came back from a goal down to lead 2-1, only for Northwich to get an undeserved equaliser with two minutes to go. West then attack straight from the kickoff and whack one in from 30 yards to win it. Magic!

Our reward? A logistical nightmare of a home game against Macclesfield. It'll probably get switched to Macc because our ground won't be able to cope with an all-ticket game with 600 away fans. We haven't got any turnstiles and there are loads of places where you can just walk in without paying. Add that to stewarding/policing costs to deal with the coked-up arseholes who follow Macc these days and it's just a bit of a pain in the arse.

kalowski

Quote from: kalowski on August 20, 2022, 09:56:01 AMEarly days, of course, but relegation spot battle today between Altrincham and Yeovil. Could really do with our first win of the season.
I enjoyed the game and especially the late equaliser but £19 for non league is a bit steep. Especially when it still seems like the back four don't know each other.

Hat FM

Quote from: finnquark on August 13, 2022, 10:03:27 PM0-0 away to Bromley, played 40 mins with our no 9 in goal. Welsh FA still haven't faxed over the paperwork for a player we signed in June.

wasnt able to go to this. got my first game of the season v scunthorpe on sat. i'm predicting mid tableness for us this (bromley) this season. we've just signed a young arsenal keeper so looking forward to seeing him. lots a few of our best players in the summer. i think the manager is an acquired taste on a personal level.

finnquark

Quote from: kalowski on August 22, 2022, 07:28:36 PMI enjoyed the game and especially the late equaliser but £19 for non league is a bit steep. Especially when it still seems like the back four don't know each other.

Do you think it will mean you go to fewer games? I bought a season ticket this year, despite knowing I probably won't get value for money, mainly because I've had quite a lot of free games doing the commentary over the last 5 years, and the club were going full time. It is expensive though - I brought a mate to the Yeovil game who is a semi-regular at West Brom, and he was astonished at paying £19.

As for the back 4, that's a slow mo car crash. He signed three full backs in the summer, one of whom is injured and the other two were stepping up 2 or 3 divisions. He's clearly decided that they're not up to it, so now he's playing 4 CBs across the back, meaning we've no attacking outlet in wide areas, which is in turn allowing opponents to double or treble mark Colclough.

kalowski

Quote from: finnquark on August 23, 2022, 12:15:17 PMDo you think it will mean you go to fewer games? I bought a season ticket this year, despite knowing I probably won't get value for money, mainly because I've had quite a lot of free games doing the commentary over the last 5 years, and the club were going full time. It is expensive though - I brought a mate to the Yeovil game who is a semi-regular at West Brom, and he was astonished at paying £19.

Yes, given the rising prices of energy and the £1300 repair to my car I'll have to be more selective. Last year I got in for £6 with my son but his U13 team season ticket confers no advantages for me.
However, Alty host Chesterfield on Monday and how's this for an offer
QuoteFree Pint of Oranjeboom for the first 200 supporters in the Main Bar - plus enjoy a special Chicken Curry with Rice and Pint (of choice) Combo for £9.95.

Famous Mortimer

QuoteFree Pint of Oranjeboom for the first 200 supporters in the Main Bar - plus enjoy a special Chicken Curry with Rice and Pint (of choice) Combo for £9.95.
Right at the "sod the footie, let's have two pints and a curry for a tenner" price point.

Inspector Norse

Enjoying the BBC website's coverage of Oldham's National League games.
For tonight's game against Aldershot it has Oldham lining up with only nine men and the sub goalie up front.
Aldershot seem to have chosen to start with ten men on the field.

The Lurker

Keith Hill sacked at Scunthorpe, just three wins in 40 games

Probably not a bad record considering the teams he was putting out.

Off to my first away game of the season Saturday, to watch Chesterfield at Oldham. Last time I went there was in about 1998 and it was a freezing stadium on a not particularly cold day and we were two nil down after about half an hour. Proper away day.

finnquark

Alty responding to having a relegation fodder team full of unproven young players who are stepping up two divisions by signing a 22 year old from Ilkeston.

Why couldn't Scunny have waited three more games for us to pick up a first win of the season? Classless.

Hat FM

saw Bromley only just manage to beat Scunthorpe the other day. another season of mediocrity beckons I think.

Very excited, Chesterfield appear to be  having a proper deadline day will he/won't he transfer saga with Kabongo Tshimanga and Birmingham. Never known the like.