Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:29:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Black Bird (Apple TV Series)

Started by Ja'moke, August 06, 2022, 12:37:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ja'moke

Anyone watched this? Based on a real-life story of a convicted drug/weapons trafficker who is offered to have his 10 year prison sentence commuted if he transfers to a high security prison to try and get a confession out of suspected serial killer Larry Hall.

I was a bit unsure in the first 15-20 minutes, but once the set-up was out of the way, I thought it was very good. A great cast (one of Ray Liotta's last roles before he passed away) with some excellent performances and a really compelling story at the centre of it all. The prison scenes with Larry Hall also filled some of the gap that Mindhunter left behind.

shiftwork2

I'm wary of Apple now (too much 3/5 material that I lose interest in - Shining Girls, For All Mankind, that Horse thing) but will give this a try, thanks.

Yeah, I'm enjoying this! 3 episodes in so far. Might ram the other three down my eye holes tonight. It'll be too hot to do anything else.

Dex Sawash

Liked the squeaky voice guy in the trailer.

Proactive

Quote from: Dex Sawash on August 11, 2022, 12:11:48 PMLiked the squeaky voice guy in the trailer.

That's the exact thing that put me right off!

Blue Jam

Any Irish dancing super spies in this?

aunt mildred

I also thought this was very good, it is very Mindhuntery (I loved that series and hope there's more but it looks doubtful) and if you liked that then you'll like this.

Squeaky voice guy actor was excellent imho, nearly as good as the guy who played Kemper in Mindhunter.

Yeah, don't let him put you off as he's the best thing in it.

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 11, 2022, 08:19:52 PMAny Irish dancing super spies in this?

Unfortunately not :(
A distinct lack of eggmen and beaky fuzzblobs an' all! - https://store.steampowered.com/app/857500/BLACK_BIRD/

Paul Walter Hauser (playing Larry Hall, the squeaky voice guy) was excellent but Taron Egerton felt quite badly miscast.

He was trying way too hard to do Italian-American - kept pulling that facial expression with the downcast mouth that literally everyone does when they're doing a bad impression of Robert De Niro.

He also had remarkable access to quality hair product and fake tan in that maximum security prison. It was like Rylan was running the commissary.

Quote from: There Be Rumblings on August 12, 2022, 02:54:30 PMTaron Egerton felt quite badly miscast.

He was trying way too hard

Yes, the fbi wife an' all. Both trying way too hard.

elliszeroed

Mogwai did the soundtrack. I like Mogwai.

elliszeroed

Overall a good show. It's to it's credit it didn't play up the evil guard/ mafia boss too much. Although they would have been cut entirely and the series would have been stronger. There really should have been more, much more dialgue between the two leads, with them cutting, undercutting one another.

I was expecting a comic book style reveal, where it turns out the killer is playing a part like Edward Norton in Primal Fear,  but alas no show.

AllisonSays

I found all of the acting in this so annoying that I couldn't keep watching it after an initial hangover/hotel binge.

Dex Sawash

Almost finished with this. Nearly quit first episode because everything that isn't squeaky guy saying something weird is not very good.

The Bumlord

Watched it all in one night because I'm a twat.

Squeaky man was really good.

Yer Kingsman lad has that muscly thing of walking around with an imaginary roll of carpet under each arm.

That is my review good day

shiftwork2

Yep, said goodbye after e4.  Nothing that wasn't cliched or plain weird (the murderous prison riot with zero consequences?) so, like all Apple stuff apart from Severance, they can't be bothered and neither can I.

Quote from: There Be RumblingsHe also had remarkable access to quality hair product

Yes!

Quote from: The Bumlord on August 18, 2022, 02:20:05 PMwalking around with an imaginary roll of carpet under each arm

Yes 2!

Dex Sawash

Just finished. The last 30 minutes was weak but squeaky carried the show to almost the end.