Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:17:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Madstock was 30 years ago today

Started by Gurke and Hare, August 08, 2022, 09:13:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurke and Hare

So 30 years ago today I was outside Finsbury Park trying to strike a deal with a tout to trade my Saturday ticket for a Sunday ticket like all my friends had bought.

Here's an oral history of it, featuring everyone's favourite comedy bit part player Paul Putner: http://sevenraggedmen.com/30-years-of-madstock/

DrGreggles

Good read that.
I was there on the Saturday - probably the only one of those big outdoor gigs I've ever enjoyed.

The Morrissey stuff was weird, as I'd only just started listening to The Smiths a few months previously.
And my feeling was "oh no, he's a twat" - and I was right!

Neomod

We went on the Sunday and only found out Moz wasn't playing when we got there.

Worth it though for The Nutty Boys, the Blockheads and --erm-- Gallon Drunk.

Beagle 2

That was a superb read Gurke and Hare.

Never seen Madness, which is a real shitter.

mrClaypole

My brother went.  I wasn't allowed to go as I was only 14. I had to wait until Xmas for my first ever gig.
I still routinely listen too the live CD though

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Neomod on August 09, 2022, 12:20:33 AMWorth it though for The Nutty Boys, the Blockheads and --erm-- Gallon Drunk.

I love the way the overwhelming - correct - consensus is that Gallon Drunk killed the mood then Flowered Up got everyone back in the groove.

Brundle-Fly

What's interesting is it seemed like the hiatus between the band breaking up and subsequently reforming was much, much longer, but it was only a mere six years. The Specials waited nearly thirty years and the elation at those comeback gigs I believe was no greater than the reception at Madstock. Madness's last studio album was released in 2016, which only seems like last week.

"TIME, gentlemen please time..."

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on August 09, 2022, 11:49:13 AMI love the way the overwhelming - correct - consensus is that Gallon Drunk killed the mood then Flowered Up got everyone back in the groove.

Originally, Vince Power put The Selector high up on the bill, but the band vetoed their old friends, because they didn't want it to be a ska-festival (and half their old fans knackered by the time Madness came on).

shiftwork2

Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead

Quote from: Beagle 2 on August 09, 2022, 01:00:16 AMThat was a superb read Gurke and Hare.
Yes, agreed. It's led me to listen to the album today, and the warmth pouring off the audience is palpable. To my lasting regret, I was into Iron Maiden when Madness were in their pomp, and so I didn't pay the requisite attention at the time. Fucking idiot, I was.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead on August 09, 2022, 10:01:05 PMYes, agreed. It's led me to listen to the album today, and the warmth pouring off the audience is palpable. To my lasting regret, I was into Iron Maiden when Madness were in their pomp, and so I didn't pay the requisite attention at the time. Fucking idiot, I was.

Did Maiden's 'Can I Play With Madness?' mean nothing?  Anyway, don't beat yourself up. I wish I'd attended raves and necked E  thirty odd years ago, but you can't go back.  I'd be dead now though, if I had.

famethrowa

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on August 08, 2022, 09:13:15 PMHere's an oral history of it, featuring everyone's favourite comedy bit part player Paul Putner: http://sevenraggedmen.com/30-years-of-madstock/

Great article! I'm learning here, I always thought "Madstock" was some kind of baggy festival, didn't realise it was a whole revival comeback thing. I remember buying the cassingle in 1992 and wooing the future Mrs Famethrowa with our shared nostalgia. The song seemed like a cherished relic of history, it came with Bed and Breakfast Man and some business about beans and a fried slice that I didn't really latch on to.

Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 09, 2022, 10:30:03 PMDid Maiden's 'Can I Play With Madness?' mean nothing?
Arf. Mind you, "Seventh Son..." was the album where I began to part ways from them