Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:59:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Thinking Fellers re-issues on Bulbous Monocle

Started by The Pink Chunk Jazz Band, August 12, 2022, 11:59:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
*miniature trompette fanfair*

Some news to delight probably about three people on here (but what a three people, and how I'd love to take each of them out to laugh about our BMIs over a breathless Nandos chicken Jacobs ladder gasp wank), but a label in Portland has got on the fucking sleeper and is re-issuing some TFUL282 records

https://bulbous-monocle.bandcamp.com/

They've made a good start with the Fellers' two best recordings - "Strangers From The Universe" and "Admonishing The Bishops", which like if you dig any kind of music that colours over the edges, you've got to know about. shit this is like Maximum Rest n Relaxation raving about Sun Ra.

But the really secret dark brown stuff is this Bulbous Monocle thing, the beefheart rainbow, document plans here

https://www.portlandmercury.com/music/2022/08/04/44611820/portland-label-launches-major-reissue-for-thinking-fellers-union-local-282

My treble cleft palate is stuffed with anticipation at Nuf Sed re-ishes, heiferskin-bound Caroliner compendiums and expanded World Of Pooh astral dribbling maps.

sevendaughters

Heard about this a month or so ago and am reeeeeally excited for it.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: The Pink Chunk Jazz Band on August 12, 2022, 11:59:36 PMheiferskin-bound Caroliner compendiums
Fond memories of needing an extra bit of shelf for all my completely impractical Caroliner records.

Glebe

sevendaughters

ordered mine. won't be coming until early Jan. EU orders are posted from France so it's about £30 for the LP.

Inspector Norse

Gah when you log in to the forum main page you see the last post was made in "Thinking Fellers re-" which got me titillated, but reissues are only a consideration for me if I don't have the stuff anyway.

Though come to think of it my copy of Strangers from the Universe seems to have vanished, need to see if it got accidentally sorted into the Indie Stuff I Bought When Studying And Will Never Listen To Again, Sell At Jumble Sale At Some Point suitcase in the attic.

Quote from: sevendaughters on August 15, 2022, 03:15:07 PMordered mine. won't be coming until early Jan. EU orders are posted from France so it's about £30 for the LP.

Nice, wonder if it does sound better. I've got the matador vinyl from the 90s and although Strangers still sounds great, I also have Lovelyville and that was pressed on a piece of gravel-studded licorice by the sound of it. Holding out for that reissue

Quote from: Inspector Norse on August 15, 2022, 03:33:22 PMGah when you log in to the forum main page you see the last post was made in "Thinking Fellers re-"

Yeah unfortunately not "reform and announce full UK tour".

NattyDread 2

I've been giving this lot a blast inspired by seeing this thread. Been meaning to listen to them properly for years and had assumed they would be a bit like Trumans Water or something. Far more melodic than I imagined. Only played Strangers from the Universe so far and I absolutely love it.
Right up my street.
Cheers.

sevendaughters

Quote from: NattyDread 2 on August 21, 2022, 12:36:41 AMI've been giving this lot a blast inspired by seeing this thread. Been meaning to listen to them properly for years and had assumed they would be a bit like Trumans Water or something. Far more melodic than I imagined. Only played Strangers from the Universe so far and I absolutely love it.
Right up my street.
Cheers.

They do have moments on some records where they wander up their own back passage but they keep those tendencies to their own tracks. I love all their records though, Strangers was my first.

Don't skip the EPs either! Do Admonishing next!

"Cup of Dreams" is just one of my favourite songs ever.

sevendaughters

mine came already! it's great, they've done such a good job with it. the cover is darker than the photos suggest but w/ever. a proper TFUL282 vinyl record of my very own.

sevendaughters

did anyone go for the new one? getting good reviews and have heard most of it elsewhere, but work uncertainty hath become me again so no major spends.

Clive Dogshit

Aw man tempted but I've sworn off buying new vinyl and there's only like two songs on there I don't already have. Still tempted though just to support this endeavour.

Clive Dogshit

That fistful of dollars cover is absolutely worth owning on nice sounding vinyl though

Red82

Such a weird and interesting band. I have one of their originals but i might try and pick up the others on reissue. Even the reissues are probably expensive now as this thread is a year old.