Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,463
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:18:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bardo Pond

Started by The Pink Chunk Jazz Band, August 13, 2022, 01:05:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Any Bardo Pond fans in the house?

Any heads?

Drug-influenced impro rock noise without growing a beard about it.

(oh god you level one post-rock scrub 1996 BITCH)

fuck the fight out of me

Stoner rock sucks shit; this isn't stoner rock. Men in aviator shades shit out and go bald in 5 years.

Here Come The Warm Jets cover is 16 minutes long and frankly it could go on for ever and I'd die happy. Isobel doesn't know the lyrics but it doesn't stop.

Yes!

I love this band, lovethem!

Any idea if they're still active?  All we've had for the last few years is remasters of their old albums via Bandcamp and side projects.  I e-mailed them at the address on their (pretty worthless) website and also Fire Records a while back for updates but no response from either.

Anyway, it's early and I'm on my way to work but I'll be back with something a bit more coherent later.

Bardo Pond......

sardines

An absurdly good live band. First saw them support Mogwai and they blew my tiny mind.

I think they are still active but have a lot of side projects. Something came out under the Vapour Theories name last year. I get the feeling Isobel has more going on outside of music which keeps their activity limited (no basis for that statement so it could be bullshit).

A lot of good side projects and collaborations too. The one with LSD March at 2 and a half hours is probably all anyone needs in terms of sprawling epic Psych rock noodling.

I think you're right about Isobel, maybe she's also a journalist or something?  And all the band are visual artists, so busy people.

They are, as you say, an unforgettable live experience - I've seen them twice at the same small-ish venue, the second time without a support band so they could play an extended set...oh my God...

Unfortunately my laptop's being a pain at the moment so I'm only able to do short posts (no YouTube links that only the converted will click on anyway), but let's try to not let this thread slip off page one.

Bardo Pond...

Quote from: xxxx xxx x xxx on August 14, 2022, 11:00:21 AM(no YouTube links that only the converted will click on anyway), but let's try to not let this thread slip off page one.

Frustrating isn't it, you try to fancy up your opening remarks with a few tunes to delight the reader and no one even clicks. They even do a thing such as "embed" them, so you don't even need to leave the page. Ah well, it ever was so.

Anyway, Bardo Pond. Say it.

It was cool when their early tapes got the re-issue polish and buff, I like hearing the early parts of a band, when no one else was listening and they were doing their own thing and their own pace.

Will check out that LSD March collab mentioned above, as I dig their divergences too.

sevendaughters

love the LSD Pond record, I took a chance on it cos I liked the gatefold CD jacket, didn't quite get it at first either. there's a bit on the first track of one of the discs that I would submit to a competition for 'best bit of music ever'.

sevendaughters

I'm doing a listening project at the min, I won't bore you with the details, but one of the records is Hash Jar Tempo which I had no idea was Bardo Pond + Roy Montgomery. Looking forward to it. Anyone heard em?

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: sevendaughters on August 14, 2022, 12:19:34 PMI'm doing a listening project at the min, I won't bore you with the details, but one of the records is Hash Jar Tempo which I had no idea was Bardo Pond + Roy Montgomery. Looking forward to it. Anyone heard em?

Yes. Well Oiled is excellent

Quote from: sevendaughters on August 14, 2022, 12:19:34 PMI'm doing a listening project at the min, I won't bore you with the details, but one of the records is Hash Jar Tempo which I had no idea was Bardo Pond + Roy Montgomery. Looking forward to it. Anyone heard em?

I know the name and also had no idea that was Pond/Roy, i probably avoided it because hash drugs lol i smoke some nugs man, but now I'm going to check it out. Says on wiki it's a pun on 'Ash Ra Tempel' which makes it better.

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on August 14, 2022, 12:22:05 PMYes. Well Oiled is excellent

This is the correct answer.

The LSD Pond double CD is great also, I prefer the second disc though - no Isobel on the first one.  When that voice comes drifting in seemingly at random all's right with the world.

sardines

Quote from: xxxx xxx x xxx on August 14, 2022, 01:57:51 PMThis is the correct answer.

The LSD Pond double CD is great also, I prefer the second disc though - no Isobel on the first one.  When that voice comes drifting in seemingly at random all's right with the world.
Just listening to this now and it is even better than I remember. For accuracies-sake I will note Isobel is there already on track two. Though this correction is mainly an excuse to keep the thread on page one.

Also I missed Hash Jar Tempo for the same reasons as everyone else so looking forward to hunting that down.

Quote from: sardines on August 15, 2022, 04:16:20 PMJust listening to this now and it is even better than I remember. For accuracies-sake I will note Isobel is there already on track two. Though this correction is mainly an excuse to keep the thread on page one.

I'll have to go back and check on that then (haven't got it to hand at the moment), but I thought she was only credited on disc two.

And I've no intention of letting the thread slip onto page two either, even if it means just posting my favourite tracks from YouTube.

She's on the second track of the second disc, definitely nowhere to be seen on disc one.

Anyway, it's not one I get out very often, it's a bit unstructured for me (same with Acid Guru Pond).  But that's the nature of jamming I suppose.

Right, track for today:

sevendaughters

Well Oiled = 10/10. Belting record.

sardines

So I screwed up and realised I was actually listening to Acid Guru Pond and not LSD Pond. A lesser man would claim it was a deliberate mistake to keep this thread at the top.

sevendaughters

just listened to Under Glass by HJT. It's not quite as strong or original across the run time as Well Oiled but 'Atropine' is serious best of music shit. I can tell I'm going to make myself sick listening to it over and over again.

Quote from: sevendaughters on August 14, 2022, 12:17:16 PMlove the LSD Pond record, I took a chance on it cos I liked the gatefold CD jacket, didn't quite get it at first either. there's a bit on the first track of one of the discs that I would submit to a competition for 'best bit of music ever'.

Been listening to this today and it's fuuuuuckin smokehouse yowza

From my favourite Bardo Pond album - any track would do but I'll go with Flux

one_sharper

I think this is probably my favourite. First came across them supporting Mogwai in 2003 (and the Peel Session they did around the same time) and this was the song that really stuck with me.

Bought the entire Three Lobed digital discography on Bandcamp last year, which includes a whole load of Bardo Pond stuff I didn't previously have. Also feel I should give a nod to the Vapour Theories split with Loren Connors, which is sublime.

Thanks to those who mentioned LSD Pond and Hash Jar Tempo - both completely new to me.

Yep, Ticket Crystals is one of my favourites (but they all are, really - has any other band been so consistently great for nearly thirty years?).  I'd go for Moonshine as the standout from that one.

I finally got a reply a couple of weeks ago from Michael Gibbons to the email I mentioned upthread - they've been on hiatus for a while owing to various reasons but they're hoping to crack on again in the autumn.

I love Bardo Pond.

Nice find!  I'll give that a listen later.

Quote from: one_sharper on September 15, 2022, 07:06:58 PMEnjoyed this Vapour Theories live recording from last year: http://www.nyctaper.com/2022/05/vapour-theories-june-24-2021-sunflower-philly-philadelphia-pa/
Fantastic, as expected - I want to lie in a flotation tank with part one playing.

T ørs ø

I got lost in this song earlier and remembered this thread

from a split record they did with YLT