Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:12:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Brideshead Revisited (revisited)

Started by Lost Oliver, August 16, 2022, 11:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Lost Oliver on August 18, 2022, 07:02:28 PMThanks, will buy the latter.

I'm very fond of the film adaptation by Tony Richardson, which was slated at the time for bad taste. Absolutely incredible cast, including Robert Morse, Jonathan Winters (in a dual role), John Gielgud, Robert Morley and Rod Steiger. Liberace also has a cameo role and is rather remarkable.

The book is very short, more a novella and although it's excellent, would say the Sword of Honour trilogy is the work to really recommend after BR.

Lost Oliver

Quote from: mjwilson on August 18, 2022, 07:11:41 PMCan't believe I'm being recommended a show on ITV Hub

I know. With at least 5 ad breaks during each episode. Awful. It's that good though.

cacciaguida

Come on then, what do we think.

Did Charles and Sebastian ever go at it or not?

Lost Oliver

Quote from: cacciaguida on August 28, 2022, 12:05:31 AMCome on then, what do we think.

Did Charles and Sebastian ever go at it or not?

So Mrs LO thought I was mad when I said that they weren't intimate, but I really didn't see it. I just saw them as very close friends, but I think I'm alone on that and maybe misunderstood the entire story.

jamiefairlie

Long tradition of young homosexual activity in the public school to Oxbridge set in those days. Followed by marriage and respectability once they entered adulthood.

jamiefairlie

Has anyone seen the 4K remaster streaming on Britbox?

poodlefaker

Quote from: Lost Oliver on August 17, 2022, 02:48:50 PMDid Waugh write anything as good as this? I read Scoop years ago and loved that, just can't imagine him topping this. And is the series word for word?
The concensus on Waugh was always that his early, satirical, angry novels (ie the first 4 or 5) were the good stuff, and that in comparison Brideshead was sentimental tosh. I'm talking 30 yrs ago, when I did English at university; it might've changed now.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Lost Oliver on September 07, 2022, 12:40:29 PMSo Mrs LO thought I was mad when I said that they weren't intimate, but I really didn't see it. I just saw them as very close friends, but I think I'm alone on that and maybe misunderstood the entire story.

They were blatantly AT IT