Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 11:01:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

She-Hulk Attorney At Law (Tatiana Maslany's Marvel Tv Show)

Started by Small Man Big Horse, August 18, 2022, 07:17:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

She-Hulk was one of the first US comics I ever read and I've always had a love for the character (except when they made her traumatised and miserable for a couple of years, though thankfully they've now gone back to how originally she was) but I'm not too sure about the series just yet. Tatiana Maslany is great and Ruffalo is okay (though I've never been a fan of Smart Hulk), but the fourth wall breaking seems oddly misjudged, with no real explanation so far as to how it began other than the first time on the beach, and sometimes the dialogue is amusing but comes across a little flat, like it feels like the show's directed by someone who doesn't really know how to do humour on tv. It definitely picked up as it went along, the big fight between the Hulks was entertaining enough, and I sort of liked the ending, but it's going to need to up its game a lot if I'm going to stick with it.

Edit: Just realised I didn't even consider putting this in Comedy Chat, which isn't a good sign.

king_tubby

I enjoyed this a lot - Maslany does good acting, there was barely any fourth wall stuff and
Spoiler alert
the stuff about Captain America not getting his end away
[close]
was very amusing.

Mister Six

How much law stuff is in this? I really liked the comedy court scenes in Dan Slott's She-Hulk run.

Norton Canes

Fry

Despite being sick of Marvel stuff I gave this a shot because I'm a sucker for courtroom drama and sexy green ladies who could snap me like I was a refrigerated curly-wurly.

It was alright, harmless enough. Got a couple of laughs out of it. Parts of the script had me rolling my eyes though, especially the "I'm always furious because I'm a woman" stuff. I've no problem with the sentiment, it's just that it felt less like natural dialogue and more like an epic twitter clapback that does 50k RTs. I mean, its probably partly intentional - gifable moments are a big part of marketing now.

Alberon

I've watched half the first episode so far and it seems good. The reviews I've read say it picks up in the next episode once the origin story is out the way.

MojoJojo

Trailer seemed a bit all over the place, and I can imagine the comedy/court room drama/superhero mixup might end up jarring. Decided to wait until there were a few episodes up before trying it.

Obel

I'm a bit perplexed by the mostly positive reaction for this so far. I found it pretty unengaging and short of laughs; even Ruffalo's Hulk wasn't enough to keep me interested. I'm finding the CGI to be really off putting as well, which I know is par for the course with Marvel stuff but Maslany looks a bit too cartoonish when she's Hulked up.

I like the angle of her being able to keep a lid on the Hulk stuff more because of the daily stuff women have to put up with, I think it tracks and makes sense for her character. I think I find the girlboss stuff a little bit on the cringy side though. All the same it mostly served to establish everything and I will give it an episode or two more to see how it progresses as I do appreciate it blasting through her origin story a bit.

I love courtroom stuff so I hope there's a good bit of that in there. Not excited about the inevitable CGI showdown final episode. Surely at some point Marvel will need to pull the rug out on us as that formula has become so stale.

elliszeroed

Quote from: Obel on August 19, 2022, 12:03:35 PMI'm a bit perplexed by the mostly positive reaction for this so far. I found it pretty unengaging and short of laughs; even Ruffalo's Hulk wasn't enough to keep me interested. I'm finding the CGI to be really off putting as well, which I know is par for the course with Marvel stuff but Maslany looks a bit too cartoonish when she's Hulked up.

I like the angle of her being able to keep a lid on the Hulk stuff more because of the daily stuff women have to put up with, I think it tracks and makes sense for her character. I think I find the girlboss stuff a little bit on the cringy side though. All the same it mostly served to establish everything and I will give it an episode or two more to see how it progresses as I do appreciate it blasting through her origin story a bit.

I love courtroom stuff so I hope there's a good bit of that in there. Not excited about the inevitable CGI showdown final episode. Surely at some point Marvel will need to pull the rug out on us as that formula has become so stale.

Same. I think originally the origin wasn't going to be shown until a much later episode, and there was way, way more fourth wall breaking.

I wasn't impressed by the first ep, although I did enjoying seeing Hulk in this. There was no real drama, just an overlong training montage + the usual banter.

Glebe

Yeah this was fairly entertaining. CGI seemed a bit better then in the trailers, except for a couple of moments like when she does the handclap thing where she loooked a bit fake and cartoony. But it's enjoyable enough.

Dr Rock

I liked it, and the VFX has been massively improved from the trailers, basically what Glebe just said.

Lord Mandrake

Several vfx artists died dragging her out of the uncanny valley.

Mr_Simnock

Not so keen on this, she-hulk walks around with the dialogue and personality of a 15 year old trying to outsmart their parents. Surprised by how much becoming a hulk can improve your hair though, auto styling must some hidden super power.

phantom_power

I am really enjoying this. That last episode flew by. It is pretty slight stuff but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Tim Roth is great value as well. The "ha ha" to camera was my favourite bit, though I would like to see if the fourth wall breaking will amount to anything more than Deadpool/Fleabag copying. Maslany is a very engaging lead as well

Dr Rock

Quote from: phantom_power on August 25, 2022, 03:21:08 PManything more than Deadpool/Fleabag copying.

She-Hulk did it first. (and was inspired by Moonlighting)

phantom_power

Quote from: Dr Rock on August 25, 2022, 03:25:58 PMShe-Hulk did it first. (and was inspired by Moonlighting)

I stand corrected, but there is a reason they chose to take that style into the TV series when no other MCU show or film has so I still wonder if it is going somewhere or if it ever gets explained away

PlanktonSideburns

Not usually arsed on these things, but the legal thing makes this look quite interesting, and main character looks like a laugh

Watched the trailer for this and had to delete it from my watch history as I was immediately recommended loads of women hating YouTubers moaning about the strong sexy green lady making them feel weird insecure thoughts, was like suddenly realising you've trod in a beehive

Mister Six

Quote from: phantom_power on August 25, 2022, 03:32:09 PMI stand corrected, but there is a reason they chose to take that style into the TV series when no other MCU show or film has so I still wonder if it is going somewhere or if it ever gets explained away

As I understand it, it's just because it was such a long-standing and integral part of the She-Hulk comic. And it's fun.

Why do I keep looking in here? I'm not even watching the show.

The Culture Bunker

Second episode felt really short. Take out the recap at the start, and it can't have been much more than 20 minutes.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: phantom_power on August 25, 2022, 03:32:09 PMI stand corrected, but there is a reason they chose to take that style into the TV series when no other MCU show or film has so I still wonder if it is going somewhere or if it ever gets explained away

It's bugging me a bit as well, and I loved the fourth wall breaking in the comics and the humour in general, making it one of only a few mid-80's Marvel comics that I had any time for, but the way it's never explained or that big a feature, just something that occasionally takes place, feels weird and slightly off to me.

That aside I'm still quite enjoying it, and Maslany's performance as both Jen and She-Hulk is really strong, so I hope that Mark Ruffalo's possible spoiler
Spoiler alert
that she'll be in the next Avengers movie
[close]
is true.

The Culture Bunker

I do understand the concerns about the fourth wall breaking - with Deadpool, other characters in the scene are aware he's doing it, but dismiss it as him being completely insane. Here, Jen is talking to us while others are oblivious (the scene that leads to her saying "I'm a bit agnostic" to her new boss, because she's not been listening to him), which makes it more jarring.

Alberon

It was better in the first episode when Banner does hear her as she talks to the camera.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Alberon on August 25, 2022, 09:03:34 PMIt was better in the first episode when Banner does hear her as she talks to the camera.
Feels like they could have used that. As in, Banner asks "who are you talking to?" and works it into a theory that she does have an alternate personality after all. Maybe they will?

phantom_power

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on August 25, 2022, 08:20:55 PMI do understand the concerns about the fourth wall breaking - with Deadpool, other characters in the scene are aware he's doing it, but dismiss it as him being completely insane. Here, Jen is talking to us while others are oblivious (the scene that leads to her saying "I'm a bit agnostic" to her new boss, because she's not been listening to him), which makes it more jarring.

I haven't got any concerns and if it turns out to just be a bit of fun then I'm fine with that

king_tubby

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on August 25, 2022, 07:35:38 PMSecond episode felt really short. Take out the recap at the start, and it can't have been much more than 20 minutes.

Yep. It just finished and we were 'is that it?'. No depth.

PlanktonSideburns

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Previous series suggest it'll all go pear shaped at the end, but the first two episodes were great fun. I don't know the comics, but Maslany is perfect in the lead role.

Roth's turn was a bit odd. Fair enough, Blonsky could have undergone some development since he fought Hulk (or it could all be an act) but he seemed like a totally different character. I assume his prison penpals are a bunch of baddies - that bit about them buying a giant plot of land sounded well dodgy.

Also, bringing up Fleabag whenever something breaks the fourth wall is henceforth illegal. I'm afraid I've put my foot down.

PlanktonSideburns

Lord Mandrake

They introduced Wolverine in a article headline next to 'Why is there a giant statue in the ocean?'

Hulk going
Spoiler alert
back to Sakar to meet his son
[close]