Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 12:35:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What have you been watching in quarantine that you wouldn't normally?

Started by Fambo Number Mive, April 29, 2020, 02:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

This is a thread for stuff you have watched because you are bored. Bascially things you have watched that you would normally avoid.

I've watched a few episodes of tedious police drama Blue Heelers, which is set in a town of 10,000 in Victoria, Australia. It is escapist right now watching a load of people from the 90s fart around.

Also a show called Hunter, which is about two "maverick cops" called Hunter and McCall. Only the male, Hunter, gets his name in the show's title, even though McCall is generally the one who puts herself in danger. Hunter loves telling McCall how rubbish she is and the show loves how Hunter isn't very charming. It's basically toxic masculinity with a badge. The episodes are cliched and you know how the show is going to end.Stopped watching this due to the sexism.

Confessions of a Grumble Star as well, which was interesting but became repetitive. Like grumble.

All on Amazon Prime. Gave up on Netflix and about to give up on Amazon Prime.

Buelligan

I watched some Poirot on Youtube primarily because I love art déco, in all her ways, also vintage vehicles and design generally.  You can pause it too and have a good old stare at interesting objects.
Such a surprising pleasure that was.

I've discovered a new found appreciation of Last of the Summer Wine on UK Gold. The ones with Foggy in anyway.

It's just gentle, vaguely comforting comedy muzak to put on in the background. Silly and predictable but okay to drift off to. Eases the anxiety and stresses caused by worrying non-stop about everything else that's going on in the World. I have noticed half the episodes are just rewrites of ones I watched the week before though.

You're rudely jolted back to reality when the coronavirus public information film kicks in every single ad break.

Icehaven

The Goldbergs. I'd never seen it before and the idea of contrived 80s-ness put me right off, but it's exactly that and it's cartoon silliness that makes it quite comforting right now, plus it fits around my other daily viewing quite well. The middle brother's face still annoys the merry hell out of me though.

Quote from: Quote on April 29, 2020, 03:51:54 PM
You're rudely jolted back to reality when the coronavirus public information film kicks in every single ad break.

This exactly. As well as discovering The Goldbergs I've been watching old favourites like Frasier, TBBT etc, and the ad breaks, where almost all the ads are Coronathemed now, take you right out of pretending it's the 1995-mid 2000s.

Dewt

Dewt

I've been watching 'Benidorm' on Netflix, the first two series contained some genuine laugh out loud moments, but series 3 has dipped a bit. Up to the episode when Mel wants to build property on an island.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

RTÉ started showing Killinascully from the beginning two weeks ago. I watched the first episode when it first aired back in 2004 and wasn't impressed so didn't bother with it. Giving it another go and it's grand so far.

Puce Moment

The utterly fabricated and creatively edited C4 TV show Hunted. There are 6 series and I am on the third. I find it to be utterly compelling, but only in that way that I imagine teenage boys do whilst watching WCW wrestling. Once I manage to suspend my belief, it is a really good and nail biting show. Think about it too much and it collapses like jelly jenga.

NoOffenceLynn

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on April 29, 2020, 04:28:47 PM
RTÉ started showing Killinascully from the beginning two weeks ago. I watched the first episode when it first aired back in 2004 and wasn't impressed so didn't bother with it. Giving it another go and it's grand so far.
Yeah, not too taxing and a few laughs along the way makes it a good watch.
I some people online calling for reruns of Glenroe but that might be a bridge too far, considering the "oh fuck, its Sunday and haven't done my homework" anixety it might induce in some people.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Buelligan on April 29, 2020, 02:52:50 PM
I watched some Poirot on Youtube primarily because I love art déco, in all her ways, also vintage vehicles and design generally.  You can pause it too and have a good old stare at interesting objects.
Such a surprising pleasure that was.

Got 108 episodes recorded and haven't even finished the first series.  I have le work to do, 'astings

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: NoOffenceLynn on April 29, 2020, 06:08:41 PM
Yeah, not too taxing and a few laughs along the way makes it a good watch.
I some people online calling for reruns of Glenroe but that might be a bridge too far, considering the "oh fuck, its Sunday and haven't done my homework" anixety it might induce in some people.
eh RTÉ might do it yet

I'm trying to watch more Irish TV in general. RTÉ and TG4 do great documentaries but you have to be checking the sceideal every day, they sneak them in on you.

NoOffenceLynn

Yes, I just noticed the the brilliantly funny Paths to Freedom was up on the RTE Player.

buttgammon

Despite not speaking Irish, I maintain TG4 is the best Irish TV channel. They're hit and miss at times (and there's too much twee trad music) but they show some really good documentaries, and the odd good film too.

I'm rewatching Breaking Bad because I'm missing Better Call Saul too much. It's a whole new experience watching it in the light of the brilliant prequel, and although Saul is better, it's still great.

Buelligan

Speaking of Irish documentaries, I watched an ancient RTÉ series called Hands (again, on Youtube).  All the way from the late 70's, incredible scenes and well-worth watching for anyone like me who's interested in how to make and do stuff and how people live and have lived and what is meaningful to humans.  I bloody lapped it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek1k5vV-ySs

Blue Jam

For an aficionado of crap telly I have found myself watching surprisingly little of it since the lockdown began. Instead I have been making an effort to seek out stuff that is actually good, new stuff and all the films and series I had been meaning to watch for ages.

I guess it's because watching crap when you're free to do anything is fun, but watching it when you're trapped at home is just depressing. Or maybe it's because I personally am so used to crap telly that I need a break now.

Watching Nathan For You at the moment but it'll be back to Ramsay's Hotel Hell once this is all over.

Blue Jam

Quote from: buttgammon on April 29, 2020, 06:24:48 PM
I'm rewatching Breaking Bad because I'm missing Better Call Saul too much. It's a whole new experience watching it in the light of the brilliant prequel, and although Saul is better, it's still great.

I'm rewatching Better Call Saul from the start because I've finally managed to get Mr Jam into it. It really is the best show ever.

Golden E. Pump

People who've never suffered with mental illness suddenly realise what depression is after four weeks of isolation on Facebook.

Emma Raducanu

I suddenly became compelled to watch the original series of the demon headmaster but couldn't find it. If anyone knows a stream for it, let me know. Ta

Otherwise I've been watching Mark Wiens travelling round the world eating loads of amazing looking food. I'm also watching school of wok videos just before bed because I crave a Chinese takeaway.

Also been watching films which I don't normally have time for. Saw the wicker Man last night and now can't stop humming Willow's song.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Golden E. Pump on April 29, 2020, 07:27:00 PM
People who've never suffered with mental illness suddenly realise what depression is after four weeks of isolation on Facebook.

Any chance you could expand on that please? Asking because I'm a mental who is only coping thanks to 75mg of Venlafaxine per day.

Pink Gregory

In an unexpected twist, I think partly due to the (medicated) depression, I've personally been equipped to deal with this rather better than I might have.

buttgammon

Quote from: Pink Gregory on April 29, 2020, 08:39:02 PM
In an unexpected twist, I think partly due to the (medicated) depression, I've personally been equipped to deal with this rather better than I might have.

Yes, I was just thinking the same myself. I'm doing surprisingly alright.

thenoise

Quote from: Pink Gregory on April 29, 2020, 08:39:02 PM

My wife feels this about her OCD.

I have been tackling my to-watch pile of DVDs/Blus, as well as watching Chocky and children of the stones on YouTube. Been working my way through the universal classic Monsters boxset, and also rewatching sherlock Holmes (Brett). Something strangely comforting about old whodunnits, classic horror too.

Buelligan

Dex Sawash

Wife is too covanxious to watch anything that doesn't have Mary Berry in it. We're watching Britain's Best Home Cook and old stuff like Mary's Meals Even You Could Cook, Looser. I'm worried Mary Berry might die of the vid and my wife will go off the edge.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Puce Moment on April 29, 2020, 05:04:42 PM
The utterly fabricated and creatively edited C4 TV show Hunted. There are 6 series and I am on the third. I find it to be utterly compelling, but only in that way that I imagine teenage boys do whilst watching WCW wrestling. Once I manage to suspend my belief, it is a really good and nail biting show. Think about it too much and it collapses like jelly jenga.

I watch it when it's on C4 but the more I watch the more fakery I see, like in the drone footage or "cctv footage" the camera crew is never visible, meaning they'll have had to film two takes which is totally absurd when you're being chased, and in the most recent series we suddenly got the contestants-eye-view during a chase scene meaning he must have had a camera strapped to his head, or it was a simulation.  Finally I realised that the cameraman is basically grassing you up to the production team the whole time.  Like when they listen back to a "recording" of a phone call - it's just the audio taken from the camera.  And if you get help from a friend of a friend and think it's too far removed for them to find you, they already know who you've gone off with because the cameraman just told them, so all they have to do is contrive a reason to make it look like they found them legitimately which is always to look on facebook at the friends profile and randomly out of many people to choose the right person.  If's full of shit but compelling viewing, I agree.  And if they're totally lost they just say that the car has teledildonics or some shit, basically they can see where a car is because of some built-in bug which they can access.  The only way you'd be able to get one over on them is to get two burner phones, and on one of them you call someone in the presence of the camera (the person you call would have been told in advance to 'play along') while on the second phone you send a txt while in the khazi out of view of the cameras.  Trouble is it's probably in the contract that all phonecalls must be made on speakerphone in the presence of the camera or you forfeit any winnings.

And the aerial footage of The Shard is fooling no-one when you know they're in a C4 broom cupboard.

Bazooka

Quote from: DolphinFace on April 29, 2020, 07:53:04 PM
I suddenly became compelled to watch the original series of the demon headmaster but couldn't find it. If anyone knows a stream for it, let me know. Ta

Otherwise I've been watching Mark Wiens travelling round the world eating loads of amazing looking food. I'm also watching school of wok videos just before bed because I crave a Chinese takeaway.

Also been watching films which I don't normally have time for. Saw the wicker Man last night and now can't stop humming Willow's song.

I do love Mark Wiens and his love for foam, "oh wow".

paruses

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on April 29, 2020, 04:20:21 PM
I've been watching 'Benidorm' on Netflix, the first two series contained some genuine laugh out loud moments, but series 3 has dipped a bit. Up to the episode when Mel wants to build property on an island.

Same - was nicely surprised. Agree S3 is the turning point. I wish I could put my finger on why I find is so comforting.

Been watching the first serieseses of London's Burning. Up to where the original guvnor (Stanley) leaves. After that the Greek chap comes in and they move out of the Fireman Sam outfits so it feels too modern (despite the fact that those must be 30 years old by now). I quite like how much it has the feel of it being a stage play in the first 3 or 4 series. And how heavy handed it is.

Drama put up all the series since we got nailed into our houses and am wondering if they have don the same with The Bill. Would like a bit of Yorkie and Sgt. Penny and Tosh Lines.