Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,787
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 03:41:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What have you been watching in quarantine that you wouldn't normally?

Started by Fambo Number Mive, April 29, 2020, 02:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Crunch

I've been enjoying the youtube videos where people record whole London bus routes from the top deck.  Nice bit of Causa Sui or Heavy Blanket on in the background, lovely. 

buzby

Quote from: Captain Crunch on April 30, 2020, 11:18:13 AM
I've been enjoying the youtube videos where people record whole London bus routes from the top deck.  Nice bit of Causa Sui or Heavy Blanket on in the background, lovely.
I've been watching the hundreds of hours of Lyle Hiroshi Saxon's youtube video archive of proto-vlogs of his wanderings around Tokyo and it's rail system with a prosumer camcorder between 1990-1993. Strangely hypnotic and nostagic, despite never having been to the place.

paruses

Quote from: buzby on April 30, 2020, 11:59:03 AM
I've been watching the hundreds of hours of Lyle Hiroshi Saxon's youtube video archive of proto-vlogs of his wanderings around Tokyo and it's rail system with a prosumer camcorder between 1990-1993. Strangely hypnotic and nostagic, despite never having been to the place.

Tangential to this - are there any London Underground Ghost station docs anyone would recommend? Doesn't just have to be the underground. I know of Abandoned Engineering but I've blitzed most of those and the talking heads get on my nerves anyway (well, the editing mostly).

If this post is as popular as I expect it to be maybe it could be its own thread. Just think of ways to make this site better all the time.

Quote from: buzby on April 30, 2020, 11:59:03 AM

Nelson Sullivan has 2000hrs of 80's footage of him and his (mostly gay) friends out and about in downtown NYC filmed in a camcorder being uploaded to YouTube. He died in '89, but he's a lovely guy and I find it really interesting, it's especially good if you're familiar with 80's NYC club/art scene as pre-fame people such as Keith Haring, Rupaul and Michael Alig pop up in it, but mostly it's just him and his friends wandering around NYC living their day to day life.

https://www.youtube.com/user/5ninthavenueproject

Puce Moment

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on April 30, 2020, 01:41:01 AM
I watch it when it's on C4 but the more I watch the more fakery I see, like in the drone footage or "cctv footage" the camera crew is never visible, meaning they'll have had to film two takes which is totally absurd when you're being chased, and in the most recent series we suddenly got the contestants-eye-view during a chase scene meaning he must have had a camera strapped to his head, or it was a simulation.  Finally I realised that the cameraman is basically grassing you up to the production team the whole time.  Like when they listen back to a "recording" of a phone call - it's just the audio taken from the camera.  And if you get help from a friend of a friend and think it's too far removed for them to find you, they already know who you've gone off with because the cameraman just told them, so all they have to do is contrive a reason to make it look like they found them legitimately which is always to look on facebook at the friends profile and randomly out of many people to choose the right person.  If's full of shit but compelling viewing, I agree.  And if they're totally lost they just say that the car has teledildonics or some shit, basically they can see where a car is because of some built-in bug which they can access.  The only way you'd be able to get one over on them is to get two burner phones, and on one of them you call someone in the presence of the camera (the person you call would have been told in advance to 'play along') while on the second phone you send a txt while in the khazi out of view of the cameras.  Trouble is it's probably in the contract that all phonecalls must be made on speakerphone in the presence of the camera or you forfeit any winnings.

And the aerial footage of The Shard is fooling no-one when you know they're in a C4 broom cupboard.

Yes to all of that - there are so many moments where the cameraperson following each player is suddenly behind them in a car that has magically appeared. They edit it cleverly, for sure, and the Hunters HG just seems awfully unreal. However, it does appear that on some level they ARE on the run, and I guess I am able to suspend my natural cynicism because it is such a seductive idea for a reality show.

The series 2 Scottish woman who lectured the girls about "grassing" who then sells their info for £250. Oooof.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Puce Moment on April 30, 2020, 02:18:41 PM
Yes to all of that - there are so many moments where the cameraperson following each player is suddenly behind them in a car that has magically appeared. They edit it cleverly, for sure, and the Hunters HG just seems awfully unreal. However, it does appear that on some level they ARE on the run, and I guess I am able to suspend my natural cynicism because it is such a seductive idea for a reality show.

The series 2 Scottish woman who lectured the girls about "grassing" who then sells their info for £250. Oooof.

I really enjoyed the first series, and the second series was still fun too, but they started making it harder like how they had to contact people every so often, and go and shit in a sleeping hunter's armpit and all that kind of thing, and it made it less fun.

phes

On top of all the very obvious editing, reconstructions, sharing information etc in hunted, it becomes obvious fairly quick that contestants are hamstrung by what they're actually allowed to do, who they're allowed to contact and what they're allowed to keep private. Oh look they've left their Facebook open again, what's this album called my mate Gav Wainwright's hard to find caravan at Little Hollow farm near Skeggy. Nobody goes back to their own home because their dog really needs a haircut. It's all interference from production.

paruses

Further to my popular earlier post: The Bill - The Early Years is on Drama now. Series 1-7 or thereabouts.

Just dug into S1E1. Viv, Taffy, Galloway, the sarge with the Dennis Taylor specs.....12 year old super-slim Jim, I'm older than nearly all this lot now. Fuck. Loving it though.

Christ though, when you look at anything from this period (right through to the late 90s) against the states we look like Soviet Russia.

Ray Travez

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on April 30, 2020, 01:41:01 AM
I watch it when it's on C4 [...]

Enjoyed reading that.

It's still compelling at times despite its flaws, but for me now there's a big Bleksley-shaped hole in the middle of it.

thenoise

Discovered that my VCR just about still works, might watch nothing but video tapes for the rest of lockdown. Hope you enjoy 2020 folks, cos it's still 1993 for me!

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

TV3 Virgin One are going to show Garda drama Red Rock from the beginning starting Tuesday. Might give it a whirl since I missed it first time round.

Ray Travez

Currently watching Bodyguard. Beyond ludicrous. Mercurio's a f-ing idiot. People really rated this thing! Nonsense of the highest order.

Catterick on youtube. Good stuff, nice to see a Vic n' Bob show with a plot stretching over a full series.

Ramsay's Hotel Hell
. Very similar to Ramsay's other hells that he visits; so many hell realms, so little time.

Tried watching Shoestring but it was like something from the land that time forgot. The intro made me think of the start of Mindhorn, and that was pretty much the end of it. Next up, going to give Bergerac a go. I'd love to watch The Chinese Detective again, but it doesn't seem to be on youtube.

wooders1978

I'm staying at mums as she was really poorly just before all this kicked off, man she watches a load of crap - the Mindy project, Brooklyn 99(?), the Big Bang theory and 30 rock - it's fucking dire and a real eye opener about how shockingly shite these beloved shows are - there also seems to be millions of episodes

phes

Haven't rewatched it but wasn't 30 Rock a lot better for a lot longer than those other shows?

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: phes on May 03, 2020, 10:13:59 AM
Haven't rewatched it but wasn't 30 Rock a lot better for a lot longer than those other shows?

Yeah it's on a much higher stratum than any of the other shows mentioned. This is certainly the first time I've seen someone mention it in the same breath as the Big Bang Theory - I'm not sure I could think of two sitcoms that are more diametrically opposed.

Absorb the anus burn

Had this set for 4-5 years (thanks to a Network sale) and finally ripped off the cellophane last week.... Really enjoying it - for the bizarro guest casts[nb]Leonard Rossiter, Ian McShane and John (Get Down Shep) Noakes together![/nb] as well as the unsympathetic portrayal of army life when British power and influence was on a steady decline.

flotemysost

Toy Boy, a ridiculously trashy Spanish crime drama about male strippers on Netflix - watching it with my flatmate and I agreed to try with Spanish subtitles (she's not fluent in Spanish either, but finds trying to process both Spanish and English at the same time a bit of a mindfuck) so I only understand about 60% of what's going on but never mind that, PHWOAARRona virus more like eh

I also signed up to NowTV, primarily to watch The Sopranos and The Wire now that I've got the time to do so, but I've found myself immersed in old MTV reality shows like Catfish for hours at a time. Never had Sky or cable etc. so despite being crappily formulaic and not having aged very well, they still feel like an exotic treat.

wooders1978

Quote from: phes on May 03, 2020, 10:13:59 AM

I find it crap, but not as crap as the others, I will grant you that

Blue Jam

Quote from: Ray Travez on May 03, 2020, 02:10:38 AM
Ramsay's Hotel Hell. Very similar to Ramsay's other hells that he visits; so many hell realms, so little time.

My favourite TV guilty pleasure of all time, and I watch a lot of crap TV. The worst intro and theme music ever and yet Gordo's naked arse is still more horrifying.

Quote from: flotemysost on May 05, 2020, 11:05:06 PM
I also signed up to NowTV, primarily to watch The Sopranos and The Wire now that I've got the time to do so

Was thinking of doing this but I've still got half of Fargo and Ozark to get through, plus the last two seasons of Mad Men and a load of Orange Is The New Black. Nrgghh there's too much good telly (and too much enjoyably crap telly) even for quarantine.

SteveDave

We've not watched a film made after 1982 in the last 2 weeks. I became weary of modern films and longed for a time when sequels and franchises weren't the goal. I've turned into Martin Scorcese.

That's not to say everything we've seen has been gold though. Last night we watched "Drive, He Said" and while it had it's merits (the basketball games were shot like a nature film) it was a bit "MAKE YOU THINK" in places.

Blue Jam

Was bored/pissed last night and ended up watching Piers Morgan interviewing RONALADO on the ITV hub and laughing my head off at the ridiculousness of RONALADO.

I hate myself.

jobotic

Partner's been watching The Last Man on Earth. It's okay but too long and getting on my nerves. I did watch properly tonight because it was Kristen Wiig's episode and I think she's great.

Fucking hell it was a bit Covid-y. Grim stuff.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Werner Herzog documentaries on YouTube. I find his voice very soothing.

checkoutgirl

Been watching more horror films than usual, things like [REC] and Creep. Old crap like Battle Beyond the Stars and Space Raiders. Also modern serials like Catch 22 and Clone Wars. All this stuff I watch on advert free torrents so Covid 19 ads are no issue.

Found myself watching Anna Gadsby due to my Netflix suggestions being exhausted. Netflix really is an absolute bag of shite. Way too skewed towards modern fare, I can't remember the last time it suggested a classic old black and white film or even if it has any. The suggestions page is badly laid out and never entices me to new stuff to see. I find myself scrolling for a few minutes and then just watching KMKYWAP for the 20th time.

checkoutgirl

Cobra Kai. First series good. Second series pissed the bed and shat the pillow by turning into Home and Away.

checkoutgirl

Anna Gadsby was shite by the way. Telling people how funny you are is mental unless you are a gifted comedian which I issue forth she isn't.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: wooders1978 on May 03, 2020, 09:15:11 AM
I'm staying at mums as she was really poorly just before all this kicked off, man she watches a load of crap - the Mindy project, Brooklyn 99(?), the Big Bang theory and 30 rock - it's fucking dire and a real eye opener about how shockingly shite these beloved shows are - there also seems to be millions of episodes

30 Rock's good I reckon.