Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:09:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Argylle (2024)

Started by Blue Jam, January 06, 2024, 08:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Can't quite decide if this'll be worth seeing for Cranston or not. Help me decide pls:

Also just a heads up that Dua Lipa is in this.

dr beat

Excellent a film about our local? Could have spelt it right though.

dontpaintyourteeth

Well the fact they're using that "we're not so different, you and I" trope in the fucking trailer certainly makes me hopeful.

Rev+

Any trailer that includes 'From the mind of' can fuck right off, but this looks properly terrible.  We've got some people, slap 'em on the storefront, the thing writes itself.

There's a bit about the tie-in novel, which is supposed to snake around the film, here:

https://filmstories.co.uk/news/matthew-vaughns-mysterious-argylle-novel-is-here-what-does-it-tell-us-about-the-movie/

Blue Jam

Quote from: Rev+ on January 06, 2024, 09:13:06 PMAny trailer that includes 'From the mind of' can fuck right off, but this looks properly terrible.

I had been looking forward to this but now I've seen the trailer I'm thinking it looks a bit too much like an Apple TV faux premium film. Bah.

Urinal Cake

When are we going to get superpowered spys?

Bad Ambassador

Matthew Vaughn, so fuck off and keep fucking off to the edge of the universe, then fuck off beyond that into the void and keep fucking off until you get past that, then keep going.

Dex Sawash

What's that film where that lady writer becomes part of her book and gets all jungle muddy in a purple sequin dress (possibly a pantsuit). This is that without her.

(I think she was in the movie about a bus that can't slow down too, SHOOT THE HOSTAGE)

dontpaintyourteeth

As actors go Dua Lipa is certainly an excellent pop star.

Mister Six

I dunno, it looks fun enough and I like the Kingsman films so I'll give it a crack.

Butchers Blind

Sam Rockwell getting his John Wick on.

Johnny Textface

Was hoping for a Die Hard spin off

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Dex Sawash on January 06, 2024, 10:54:54 PMWhat's that film where that lady writer becomes part of her book and gets all jungle muddy in a purple sequin dress (possibly a pantsuit). This is that without her.

(I think she was in the movie about a bus that can't slow down too, SHOOT THE HOSTAGE)

The Lost City with Sandra Bulllock. That was terrible, although I did like the sequinned jumpsuit.

This also looks very bad in much the same way - it's an action movie but it's also aimed at middle-aged women so everybody will like it!

Especially as there are 2 valid ways of spelling Argyll/Argyle and they chose neither of them. I hope it's named after the vast dreary area of western Scotland where it takes 3 hours to get 20 miles away. But probably it's named after the socks.

greenman

Not the Diehard spinoff we've all been waiting for?

Blue Jam

Bit concerned that this thread has been around a whole day and @buttgammon hasn't popped in.

Glebe

Panic on the streets of Argylle.

BritishHobo

This is getting pushed EVERYWHERE at the moment, even though as said above, it's just The Lost City again, and essentially the same thing as Operation Fortune: Ruse de Guerre, or Paul Feig's Spy. Or The Spy Who Dumped Me with Mila Kunis. Arsed mate.

There's lots of (stupid) chatter (from idiots) speculating that the tie-in novel is going to turn out to be written by Taylor Swift or JK Rowling. When it'll inevitably turn out to be some knackered professional ghostwriter working off a list of shit ideas that Matthew Vaughan has shoved in their face.

Jim_MacLaine

Oof. The CGI in Vaughn's films is always bobbins.

He must pay the VFX crew a pittance.

lauraxsynthesis

Butchers Blind

I see there's no reviews of this until the day of release; always a good sign.

dissolute ocelot

They should have called the first film Argyle and the sequel ArgyIIe. (Due to the font you can't see that the two lower-case Ls are actually Roman numeral Is, ruining my joke, thanks a lot CaB.)

Maybe there won't be a sequel.

Maybe it will make it as far as ArgyVe.

Blue Jam

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on January 31, 2024, 12:30:20 PMThey should have called the first film Argyle and the sequel ArgyIIe. (Due to the font you can't see that the two lower-case Ls are actually Roman numeral Is, ruining my joke, thanks a lot CaB.)

Maybe there won't be a sequel.

Maybe it will make it as far as ArgyVe.

You mean like ArgyIe and ArgyIIe? Bit like how there are two zeroes in
in n00b?

;)

Butchers Blind

Currently running at 35% on RT.

Bad Ambassador

Apparently, the big twist is
Spoiler alert
the real Agent Argylle is Bryce Dallas Howard, who was a superspy and lost her memory. At least that's what it says in this announcement of the start of production. Basically a cross between the twists in Shattered and The Number 23.

https://observer.com/2021/07/matthew-vaughn-new-spy-thriller-bryce-dallas-howard-samuel-l-jackson/
[close]

It's set to be Apple's latest $200m turkey that doesn't make its budget back in cinemas, after Killers of the Flower Moon and Napoleon, but is forecast to make only $20m in its opening weekend. Looking forward to this cunt not having a career anymore.

magister

I'm very much in two minds about this. On the one hand, the trailer looks like dreck. On the other hand, Peter Bradshaw gave it one star in The Guardian.

frajer

Quote from: Rev+ on January 06, 2024, 09:13:06 PMAny trailer that includes 'From the mind of' can fuck right off, but this looks properly terrible.

Yeah that modern trope grates on me too and always smacks of trying too hard. The best/worst one I've encountered was the rather poor-looking upcoming film "If" which featured this gem in the trailer:

That's right, the man who directed two ok-ish Quiet Place films has let his imagination loose again.

Dex Sawash

Dex Sawash

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: frajer on February 01, 2024, 01:29:33 PMYeah that modern trope grates on me too and always smacks of trying too hard. The best/worst one I've encountered was the rather poor-looking upcoming film "If" which featured this gem in the trailer:

That's right, the man who directed two ok-ish Quiet Place films has let his imagination loose again.

He did co-create Lip Sync Battle.

Mister Six

Good video about what a grasping rip-off merchant Krasinski apparently is here: