Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:58:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

diego maradona dies at 43

Started by smoker, April 19, 2004, 11:19:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoker

is what they'll say if he dies, but right now he's just seriously ill

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,1563,1195034,00.html

time to kick the cocaine and burgers habit fat boy

Krang

I feel sorry for him. I still remember his face running towards the camera in the opening titles of Football Italia.

Do you think God will ask for his hand back?

Nearly Annually

Quote from: "Krang"I still remember his face running towards the camera in the opening titles of Football Italia.
Looking just like a crackhead's face.

hencole

Christ! Thats the first picture I've seen for ages of  hime. Hand of God?  Hand of blob more like!11!!

Salacious Crumb and Princess Leia in a gold bikini not pictured.

Krang

He was a great player though.

MonkeyDrummer

The goal he scored against England was just sublime, talent like that doesn't come along very often. The one where he dribbled round 5 of the players wasn't bad either.

Krang

I think soon moves like that will disappear, its all coaching and tactics, not crazy skills invented whilst playing (like that insane scorpian kick/save that keeper did)

MonkeyDrummer

Quote from: "Krang"I think soon moves like that will disappear, its all coaching and tactics, not crazy skills invented whilst playing (like that insane scorpian kick/save that keeper did)

I think his manager would have politely, but firmly asked him to just catch it next time.

Elliot

Quote from: "Krang"I think soon moves like that will disappear, its all coaching and tactics, not crazy skills invented whilst playing (like that insane scorpian kick/save that keeper did)

You would be talking about the Columbian keeper Rene Higuita.
Funny enough we had our football club AGM on Saturday and we were talking about keepers saves. Apparently (stop me if Im boring you) it was a long range effort by Rednapp but was whistled offside, he just did that scorpian kick after the whistle was blown so technically it wasnt a save and he deserves no acrobat credits at all. Im better than him any bloody day, he was probably off his nut at the time any how too.
Who looks better me or him?
Now lets get back to Madonna being a right sort.
[/b]   Not bad for an old bastard.

It was indeed Redknapp and the whistle had indeed blown for offside.  Higuita was already in mid-air by the time the ref blew though, so he would've done it either way.

On a point of order, what the hell is "mid-air".  Surely ou're either in the air, or you're not.  Is "air" a point over a certain height?  Or is mid-air technically one foot on the floor and one foot off ground, like a dog reaching to pot a pool ball?

Aside from its sublime footballing aristry, I actually think Maradona's famous solo goal against England is hysterically funny to watch. Especially when Peter Reid is puffing his cheeks and desperately trying to catch up, and ends up looking like some hopelessly pissed bloke outside a chip shop with a kebab in his hand, frantically chasing the last bus home as its about to leave.

And that's not just cos I'm Irish, like. ;-)

Actually, the Irish commentary on the match is quite famous over here, sort of like our version of "They think it's all over..." It was done by this legendary broadcaster called Jimmy Magee, and commentary consists of simply two words: "(Madonna skips away from player and passes the halfway line) Different class. (Madonna waltzes into to the English penalty area like a bloke with a backstage pass to a Motley Crue gig) Different class. (Madonna sticks the ball in the net)  DIFFERENT CLASS!!

Different class indeed, Mr. Magee.

Nice mong of the Higuita save, incidentally. Remember his fuck-up against Cameroon in the 1990 World Cup? Another comedy classic. He basically advanced from his area with the ball and stopped somewhere around to halfway line to have a conversation with a Colombia defender, then Roger Milla nicked the ball, dribbled into the Colombian penalty area and buried in the net, leaving Higuita to blame his defending comrade (presumably for being a poor conversationalist...)

They're fucking mental, Colombians, aren't they? Pablo Escobar scored an o.g. against the USA in the '94 World Cup and they literally shot him when he got back home.

Hopefully DM can knock the chronic pie addiction on the head and get back to a reasonable state of fitness (ie. under seventeen stone).

king mob

Oh how i wish for a "Gary Neville dead " headline..........

Regular John

Quote from: "king mob"Oh how i wish for a "Gary Neville dead " headline..........

you cunt!

now Phil on the other hand.... :)

Auntie Ovipositor

Quote from: "12 Storey Crisis"
They're fucking mental, Colombians, aren't they? Pablo Escobar scored an o.g. against the USA in the '94 World Cup and they literally shot him when he got back home.

I hope you've gotten the name wrong, but don't know. Pablo Escobar is (also) the name of the largest coke dealer in Columbia who is often credited with inventing the columbian necktie (although it most likely predates him by several years, and he merely popularized it).

Lord Spong

Quote from: "Auntie Ovipositor"

I hope you've gotten the name wrong, but don't know. Pablo Escobar is (also) the name of the largest coke dealer in Columbia who is often credited with inventing the columbian necktie (although it most likely predates him by several years, and he merely popularized it).

The footballer's name was Andres Escobar.  Pablo Escobar was also shot dead, but for activities entirely unrelated to football (although he probably had his finger in the pie somewhere along the line).

I hope you've gotten the name wrong, but don't know. Pablo Escobar is (also) the name of the largest coke dealer in Columbia who is often credited with inventing the columbian necktie

You know, I was thinking it didn't sound quite right even as I was typing it! Remind me, what was the Colombian necktie again? I'm pretty sure it's some horrific means of execution but I've forgotten the gory details.

jutl

I hope you've gotten the name wrong, but don't know. Pablo Escobar is (also) the name of the largest coke dealer in Columbia who is often credited with inventing the columbian necktie

You know, I was thinking it didn't sound quite right even as I was typing it! Remind me, what was the Colombian necktie again? I'm pretty sure it's some horrific means of execution but I've forgotten the gory details.

I think that's

(a) a Big Black song.

and

(b) a slit throat with the tongue protruding through the incision.

bill hicks

Yeah, the neck is cut open and the tongue pulled out through the wound as a symbolic punishment for informers.

Oh and it's a GREAT Big Black song.

Lord Spong

I hope you all appreciate the irony that a thread which started off about Diego Maradona, has moved onto discussion of a notorious cocaine supplier.

Elliot

Quote from: "12 Storey Crisis"Nice mong of the Higuita save, incidentally.

Ha!
I did a google for him and that popped up, I saw the thing in the bottom corner but didnt realise what it was until you pointed it out.I thought it was a gold plaque or something.
Well spotted.

Makes what I said rather more funnier......(well I think so)

Peking O

Quote from: "Lord Spong"I hope you all appreciate the irony that a thread which started off about Diego Maradona, has moved onto discussion of a notorious cocaine supplier.

Steve Albini may be many things, but as far as I know he is not a notorious cocaine supplier.

5 Knuckle Shuffle

I'm looking forward to the headlines when he finally kicks the bucket. My money is on "It's Diego Mara-goner!" (The Sun) Or "Downturn For Narcotics And Pizza Industries" (Financial Times)

Actually, that reminds me of a good football joke somebody told me recently:

Q. Why does no one ever pass to the player who's free on the wing?

A. Because in space, no one can hear you scream

Regular John

Quote from: "12 Storey Crisis"I'm looking forward to the headlines when he finally kicks the bucket. My money is on "It's Diego Mara-goner!" (The Sun) Or "Downturn For Narcotics And Pizza Industries" (Financial Times)

Actually, that reminds me of a good football joke somebody told me recently:

Q. Why does no one ever pass to the player who's free on the wing?

A. Because in space, no one can hear you scream

Diego Takes The Hand Of God

QuoteHe was reportedly paid £45,000 for a television interview in which he said he "was dying" but that fans had called him back to life.

And to think, cheering like billio doesn't get you so much as a goal in this country..

TOCMFIC

Funny... The man responsible for the "hand of  God" goal will get to meet him. At least briefly before he's sent down anyway...