Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:50:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Our continuing loss of privacy and freedom...

Started by Pinball, May 05, 2004, 02:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinball

Quote from: "Peking O"
Quote from: "Pinball"Everyone has a private life, even innocent holier than thou rabbits, that's why it's called private.

He says, while keeping a keen eye out for any passing scum to capture on his zillion gigabite home security camera system.
500GB actually ;-) (which I've nearly finished installing)

The only reason I did it though was 'cos a pack of scrotes hangs around the park near our house and one night threw a dozen eggs at the house. I went round the park, there was an empty pack of Tesco eggs in the bin, so I then tackled em in the park hehe. Previoulsy we;ve had em running round the garden in middle of night & throwning the ladder over the wall etc. etc.  Essentially low level crimem type stuff. So I went to the park a few nights ago up to 20 male teenage scum (it's them 'cos I've been monitoring) and told em if they leave me alone I'll leave them alone, but if they "worry the house" one of my 11 colour CCTVs will record them & I'll send a tape to the police. Funnily enough, all has been quiet since then :-)))))))))))))))))))))

[apolgies for pissed-related spelling mistakes]

Quote from: "Crazy Penis"I know plenty of people who use the "I've nothing to hide" line. I've usually replied with "Yes but one day you might have." Meaning it as a joke. But I suppose It's a serious comment to make. I can't recall having a reply to that either.

Yes. I do have things to hide, so do most people who are human. What most people are saying when they deliver the 'If you've nothing to hide, you've nothing to worry about...' line is "If you live in a fictional fairy filled la la land where everybody is born with morals coming out of their rose smelling arses then you've got nothing to worry about..."

Gazeuse

Quote from: "Pinball"
Quote from: "Gazeuse"You'll burst a boiler if you keep on like this.
Who me?
Yes.

It seems a bit strange that you rail against having a policeman freezing his nuts off outside your house bagging speeders and you then invest in a state of the art surveillance system in order to give tapes of vandals to (Probably) the very bloke you're complaining about down at the police station.

Or am I being silly???

Pinball

hehe

I certainly don't intend to become Mr Informer. Basically we've had a lot of vandalism in the close where I live (all the neighbours have), with keys run down cars, tyres punctured, aerials broken off, windows broken from catapulted stones etc.  I see the CCTV 99% as a deterrent, which already has got results (or no results in terms of vandalism, if you see what I mean). I used to have one of those cheapo CCTVs (£30 type) and that worked for a while, even though its resolution was appalling and I wasn't recording anything (it connected to a regular VCR). Then the local yob-erazzi worked out that the camera wouldn't actually see them if they came in our garden and threw ladders etc. over the wall, and they did so. I therefore had to raise the ante. Indeed, I went on the park, calmly spoke to them and said - look, I've installed a state of the art CCTV system which records onto hard disk. If you do anything it will film you and I'll report you. But if you don't it won't. Simple. So far that strategy has worked. What I am not doing is monitoring them. The cameras are trained on the house & garden and would only pick anything up if they trespassed.

I accept that it goes against the grain of what I believe, but at the end of the day you've got to defend yourself.

Anyway, it was an excuse for a bit of techie fun ;-)

TraceyQ

Maybe  they just avoid your house 'cos you're the weirdo with the tinfoil wallpaper and the microwave in a lead box?

mrpants

Quote from: "PinballEasy - follow the money.

Nice All The Presidents Men/ Watergate reference... ;-)

Pinball

Quote from: "TraceyQ"Maybe you're they just avoid your house 'cos you're the weirdo with the tinfoil wallpaper and the microwave in a lead box?
It would almost be worth becoming that weirdo for that outcome ;-)

smoker

Quote from: "Pinball"I think most people are decent, law-abiding and non-aggressive. Indeed, if this were not the case we wouldn't have societies, we'd still have warring tribes. However, not everyone is like that, unfortunately, meaning those who seek to exploit on an industrial scale - quite literally. This military-industrial complex and ruling elite runs the world, and don't want that situation to change. The politicians are actually largely irrelevant. Bush, Blair and their ilk are just large bluebottles flying around piles of shit. Politicians come and go, but the military-industrial complex remains. What is the military industrial complex? Easy - follow the money. Who gets the contracts out of the $0.45 trillion annual US "defense" budget? Who gets the contracts in conquered Middle Eastern countries? Halliburton, Lockheed-Martin, Boeing, Exxon etc. etc.   And Bush works for 'em. That's it really (IMO).

exactly.

war, the media, taxation, surveillance, aid packages, restructuring, regime change, none of them are there to actually change the world, they're there to keep things the same.

TraceyQ

:)

The other half got a "Notice Of Intended Prosecution" for doing 41 in a 30 area this morning.

Oh! The irony!

Pinball

Quote from: "TraceyQ":)

The other half got a "Notice Of Intended Prosecution" for doing 41 in a 30 area this morning.

Oh! The irony!
Damn bad luck. The number of speeding "prosecutions" has increased 40% in the last 12 months, and continues to grow at a rapid rate 'cos of the proliferation of these bloody speed cameras. Apparently most are placed in 30mph zones as that's an easy win i.e. most people occasionally "speed" in those areas. They do not generally put the cameras in accident hotspots incredibly. This persecution of the motorist really isn't on.

BTW I recently bought the "Driver's survival handbook" and apparently if there isn't a red line around the speed camera sign it's illegal. A speed cop who was caught speeding used this defence successfully

TraceyQ

Incidentally, I failed my driving test last week for doing 34 in a 30 zone. Lalalalalala.