Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:30:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Today I expected to see.....(Ch4 documentary about Lee)

Started by thisissi, May 07, 2004, 03:40:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thisissi

.... a tirade of abuse on here about the people of Lee.  But there's none.  There's only 1 post on the Ch4 forum that I found.  Where's the fun in that?

Too much of an easy target I expect. :)

Marcus Or Relius

Which Lee is that then? Bruce? He was ace, and I'll kung-fu kick anyone who attempts to abuse him.

Speciality meat product

Or is it Iain Lee. He's a twat. I'd kung-fu kick him until his twig like body broke in two.

Do you mean Leigh in Manchester (or is it Cheshire)?

thisissi

Leigh is in Lancashire, Lee is in...well I don't know, hampshire?  Anyway it's near Southhampton and there was a documentary about it last night on Ch4.  

Essentially the gist was they hate black people.  Or anyone from the middle east.  Althought they were singing carols at one point, from which I assume there were some Christians, and I don't think Jesus was from Hampshire.....

fanny splendid

The whole program was so over the top, it was ridiculous. It was a bit like a Louis Theroux thing, but without the 'hey!, I'm fucking stupid, me!' insight.

thisissi

Quote from: "fanny splendid"The whole program was so over the top, it was ridiculous. It was a bit like a Louis Theroux thing, but without the 'hey!, I'm fucking stupid, me!' insight.

You mean you didn't like the slant the programme took, or you didn't like the people in it?

fanny splendid

None of it was of any interest. The program maker didn't seem to care, and the actors, sorry villagers, were just boring and obvious.

I preferred pearl harbour...

thisissi

Quote from: "fanny splendid"
I preferred pearl harbour...

The historical event or the film?  :)

butnut

I'm sure Pearl Harbour must be a euphemism for a very rude thing indeed.

fanny splendid

I preferred the film. There were too many Americans in the original.

And butnut...

Heh, just 'cos FrissBit is showing you a little attention, don't get all wound up...

(of course you're perfectly correct)

;¬)

butnut

Quote from: "fanny splendid"I preferred the film. There were too many Americans in the original.

And butnut...

Heh, just 'cos FrissBit is showing you a little attention, don't get all wound up...

(of course you're perfectly correct)

;¬)

Jealous are we? ;-)

(Which, oddly, is where the 'how many people do you find interesting' thread was going at one point)

Incredible Monkey Doctor

Miss IMD and I were just shaking our heads as we watched it. Miss IMD hit the nail on the head when she described the protestors as "bored people with nothing better to do".

LOL NO telling moment was when the chief hooey of the protestors was asked why they feared asylum seekers, and there was a deadly silence in reply. But they weren't racists, oh no..   SO WHAT THE FUCK WERE THEY???

It was exactly the sort of program that made me glad I live in stinky smelly London where we don't hate darkies.

glitch

Quote from: "Incredible Monkey Doctor"Miss IMD and I were just shaking our heads as we watched it. Miss IMD hit the nail on the head when she described the protestors as "bored people with nothing better to do".

LOL NO telling moment was when the chief hooey of the protestors was asked why they feared asylum seekers, and there was a deadly silence in reply. But they weren't racists, oh no..   SO WHAT THE FUCK WERE THEY???

It was exactly the sort of program that made me glad I live in stinky smelly London where we don't hate darkies.

That was one thing that they kept coing back to - the "we're not racist" line. They had a real  and apparent fear about being labelled this.

Someone even tried the whole "I'm not racist, I have black friends" line of argument.

Just goes to show the xenophobia and ignorance of your stereotypical Daily Mail-brandishing Middle Englander, as if we didn't need to be told again...

the hum

I watched it, and speaking of the Daily Mail I thought it was amusing that one woman had a pile of Mail and Express articles on display as 'evidence' of our invasion from foreign types.

chand

Quote from: "the hum"I watched it, and speaking of the Daily Mail I thought it was amusing that one woman had a pile of Mail and Express articles on display as 'evidence' of our invasion from foreign types.

Yeah, they were all from the Mail, Express and Sun, which just goes to show that these headlines do have an effect.

I was sat there open-mouthed at the stuff about rape, the idea that these people were literally coming over to rape the innocent young girls of Lee.

They did look like bored people who saw this as an opportunity to be community busibodies. They'd formed committees and action plans to deal with the guy stealing their banners like it was some kind of civil war. It was interesting when they asked the social worker why HE wasn't at work, yet they all seemed to have time to be there, and also to spend all night in a parked car protecting a 'NO ASYLUM' banner like it was some kind of precious museum artifact.

untitled_london

open mouthed and appalled pretty much  sums up how me and mrs UL watched this.

i mentioned watching it to her, distinctly clarifying that if i watched i would spit feathers for the entirety of the show and probably shorten my lifespan considerably in the porcess.

of course i watched it, and now i have to go and do that 'we'll estimate how long you'll live test again'.

idiots, a whole fucking town of them.

*sheesh*

i bet they all love a cuzza tho. cunts.

sorry, i tried really hard not to swear.

chand

I was amazed by that guy at the end who showed up at the party and proclaimed that all asylum seekers were Muslims. When pressed if it was true he said 'I dunno, that's the disadvantage of being racist, well prejudiced, is I could be completely wrong'.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: "chand"I was amazed by that guy at the end who showed up at the party and proclaimed that all asylum seekers were Muslims. When pressed if it was true he said 'I dunno, that's the disadvantage of being racist, well prejudiced, is I could be completely wrong'.

Even he wasn't as offensive as that couple who didn't have a problem with immigrants - "In fact some of of them are very nice. It's just that they lower the house prices." And they reckoned this was a human rights issue.
That woman who was going on about asylum seekers hanging around "talking to each other and smoking," made me laugh, though.
I have to say I watched this show with the same motivation as the Victorians had for visiting lunatic asylums. Unfortunately, instead of pointing and laughing at the racists I got really angry.
The thing on later about peeping toms, "I Like to Watch", mellowed me right out, though...

fanny splendid

I kind of recognised some of the places shown. Was it where Derek Jarman had his little house and garden?

chand

Quote from: "Johnny Yesno"That woman who was going on about asylum seekers hanging around "talking to each other and smoking," made me laugh, though.

Oh yeah, and that couple who hated asylum seekers because she knows a woman who one time was walking down the street and some dark-skin people who were probably asylum seekers didn't move out of her way so she had to walk around them.

Fucking scum.

a bald avuncular jew

This show will be repeated on Channel 4 in an hours time (i.e. 3.05 am)