Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:00:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

for the xbox live'rs

Started by Huzzie, May 09, 2004, 08:26:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huzzie

I have just won myself an auction for an xbox. Though I only recently won a different auction for an xbox, I ended up selling it after a couple of months, th ereason being, innocently, that it was modded and while I thought that was what I was after (so i could play copied games and everything that comes with it) you lot suddenly started talking about xbox live and making me very jelous indeed.

I know there is already an xbox live thread which has ran to a few pages but I want this to be a little more targeted.

What I want to know is, are there any live games that you all meet up online and play each other with? What are these games? Is it fairly easy to find other whores online? I presume you pick a user name and then you can search other usernames and add them to a mates list or something similar.

Do you use live regually? As regually or more than playing single player or in-house?

What are considered the best live games?
best sport
action
shoot um oop
etc

I would very much like to play a couple of certain genres against you lot or against anyone on live.
Especially a football (real football, not the american version) game, golf, good racing game (preferably something very similar to mariokart), something like the multi-player on the N64's Goldeneye and something like Wolfenstein, you know, the WWII game that we all went through a phase of playing against each other on our PC's towards the end of last year? Oh yeah, also, I would love something similar to Grand theft auto but I am unsure how something like that could be made multiplayer.

Is Manhunt a multiplayer?

So, If some of you would be so brilliant as to answer my questions in as much detail, with as much links as poss I would be eternally grateful!

I will pay the guy on thursday, so if he lets me slip the dough into his account, I could be online by friday or saturday! Is it fairly easy to get online? I have BT broadband with the intel modem you get with BT broadband. HOw much is the XBOX live starter pack, by the way?

ANyway, thanks again for your time
Huzzie

Mr Flunchy

Some great Xbox Live games.

-Splinter Cell : Pandora Tomorrow  - 1st/3rd Person excellence
-Project Gotham Racing 2 - Racing in Cars.  But fun!
-Wolfenstein - cheap on Xbox

Umm... don't know much about Football - I think a version of Pro Evolution is on the way, so that'll be marvellous online.

There's more, but those stand out.

Smackhead Kangaroo

YOu're not catching me out so easy Huzzler, you're not getting my social security number or nuffing mate.
See this tinfoil hat? it's not just for decoration you know.

Jet Set Willy

Is pro Eveolution really coming out on XBox? Does that mean it'll come out on Gamecube?

I'm sick of having to play in Japanese!

Mr Flunchy

Quote from: "Jet Set Willy"Is pro Eveolution really coming out on XBox?!

HAHAHA! Of course it isn't fool! You fell into my elaborate lie!  Now you are mine, laying in my spiderweb of lies, doublethink and deceit!!!!

umm....sorry sir here you go..

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/sports/proevolutionsoccer/news_6091327.html

Jet Set Willy

Quote from: "Mr Flunchy"
Quote from: "Jet Set Willy"Is pro Eveolution really coming out on XBox?!

HAHAHA! Of course it isn't fool! You fell into my elaborate lie!  Now you are mine, laying in my spiderweb of lies, doublethink and deceit!!!!

umm....sorry sir here you go..

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/sports/proevolutionsoccer/news_6091327.html

that sheds absolutely no light on my dilemma.

I think I will just have to learn Japanese eh?

Mr Flunchy

Quote from: "Jet Set Willy"that sheds absolutely no light on my dilemma.

What dilemma?  You asked if PES was coming out for Xbox, I handily provided a link showing that it is.

Huzzie

Thanks for your replies so far, well at least Flunchy and Smackhead gets half a thankyou for being funny but entirely unhelpful:-P

What about the other questions? About Live itself? Please re-read my original post. Sorry for beiong a pest but I would really appreciate your help.

Cheers
(hooray)

A Passing Turk Slipper

You NEED Project Gotham Racing 2 Huzzie, it's fucking ace. I've been playing it quite a bit recently but haven't seen many of you online. It's annoying when you get bores who don't speak though, that or people who take it too seriously and have their own little rules - "if you handle the skyline don't pick it" I was once told, I left the game shortly after.
On the other questions you asked - finding and joining fellow VWs games are easy, there is a friends list which makes it all easy. Don't know about Manhunt, sorry. As for the starter kit, buy it with PGR2 for fifty quid. You know you want to. Looking forward to seeing you on live by the way, the more the merrier.

hencole

Huzzie,

I'll answer you friends list question.

You can add people to your friends list by adding their ID or Gamertag as it is known in the Xbox world. When you switch on your Xbox you can check if any of your friends are online and what game they are playing. You can also send friend requests to ask them to join you ina game of your choosing. This game could be open to both friends you invite (and now I think you can send voice message requests). and the general public, or you can set it up as a private game.

The pack costs between £40-50 and that comes with a few demo games, a communicator and a years subscription to Xbox Live. It is usually really easy to set up. Make sure you have an ethernet modem, or that you have a network card on your PC as thats what you need to stick into the back of your Box.

Check //www.xbox.comvfor more details of different ways to get set up

Games wise my reccomendations

Moto GP2 - Motorbike racing (upto 16 players per game) my favourite game.
Project Gotham 2 - (upto 6 players), best online car racing available fun arcade racing
Top spin - Best  tennis game ever made
Wolfenstein - Haven't played it online myself, but is supposed to be good fun. Upto 8 players
Links 2004 - Brilliant Golf game , I have this , but have yet to play online yet.
Crimson Skies - Nice looking biplane dog fighting sim, easy to pick up and play (16 players)

I reckon the racing games work best as live games.

Communicator is an ace invention that takes a bit of time before you summon up the courage to chat to people, but you can always turn it off and just listen.

Ranter

Wolfenstein is a good game but  can suffer from a lot of lag on-line.
Ghost Recon 1 & 2 are games of a similar genre, and much better IMHO
Rainbow Six is excellent. Sometimes I get so excited, it makes me do a sex-pee. Buy it.

My gamertag is "Nimrod"

Huzzie

Thanks for that info you 3!

Hencole, you say I should have a network card (i dont have this) or an ethernet modem. This is LOL NO modem I have http://www.intel.com/network/broadband/modems/dsl_3220.htm

So, am I right in thinking I must connect my Xbox to my PC, rather than connecting it straight to the modem?

If this modem is not the right one or you are unsure wether it is or not, could you please (anyone) explain exactly what I need to be buying (network card or ethernet modem or anything else) and I woudl really appreciate it if you could give me links to what it is you are describing, just so I know exactly what it is.

I knwo I am asking a lot here and you have all already been very kind with your time but hopefully by this time next week you will have yourself a new punchbag to knock about or win the tits off in car races.

in that long xbox live thread, have you lot jotted down your usernames, id's or whatever? Or is there another thread somewhere that lists the whores id's?

Thanks again for all yoru help

You are all very nice!;-)

Huzzie

Also.

50 smackerooneys for the starter kit seems quite expensive to me. I saw one going on ebay for 15 quid but without the year free subscription thingy. Does that seem like a better deal to you lot?

How much is LOL NO subscription fee? Is it a flat rate or will I end up paying for whatever time I use online? HOw much is it per minute? Will it be added to my BT account, or will there be a seperate charge?

APTS. proj goth sounds good. I did have the first game in days gone by when I bought an xbox and though I wasnt mad on it, i did enjoy it (to be honest, the only game I have actually really gotten into since i was a kid was GTA vice and III but I know i will enjoy fucking about with you lot and other mates online), this package sounds pretty good, where do I get that from? the Proj Goth2 and starter kit for £50 i mean.... is it from Game or somewhere?

I havent actually mentioned what I have got yetm, have I?

I bid and won the machine in mint condition supposedly, one controller and Halo (i had that before and liked it though it was too hard for me and therefor to frustrating to bother with) and Deus ex invisible war. This is costing me £120 including postage and packaging. What do you reckon to this?

A Passing Turk Slipper

I bought the pack from amazon and I think it was around £50. If you want info on plugging your xbox into your PC and all that stuff, check out the XBox Live thread. I had a lot of trouble getting connected but that's only because I'm a fool, I got a lot of good help from that thread, basically all you need is a network card and a crossover cable. That should cost twenty quid at the most.

Huzzie

fandabydozy!

But, because I am quite the demmik, can I trouble you just a little bit further and ask you to be so good as to maybe give me an amazon.co.uk link to this network card and crossover? paallleeeeeaaasssss.

A Passing Turk Slipper

It might be of note that the 'crossover' cable they sent me wasn't a crossover cable, I had to get someone in the know to fix it for me.

hencole

Huzzie,

The starter pack gives you a whole years subscription,. Once you have that there are no other hidden charges  £50 = 1 year.

Good luck!

PS There is an Excel spreadsheet on the first page of the Xbox live thread with everyones Gamertags.