Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:42:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

MSN trouble

Started by Partridge's Love Child, May 10, 2004, 02:39:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Just wondering if anyone else is having a spot of bother getting into MSN Passport sites.  Hotmail is filtered here at work, so I set up one of those MSN group thingies to keep in touch with my friends whilst I'm at work (particularly useful as my best friend lives in Ireland).  However, since Thursday I've had trouble at the login stage - nothing seems to happen for a while, it doesn't even seem to be looking for the site.  It must be, however, because after about ten to twenty seconds I get this:

QuoteProxy Reports:
10060 Connection timed out

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The web server specified in your URL could not be contacted.  Please check your URL or try your request again.
This error could have been

As an IT spacker, I don't know whether this is a problem confined to a problem at work, or on MSN as a whole.  However, I do know that I got onto Hotmail once I'd got home on Friday, albeit after a bit of a struggle and an initially fucky screen.  Any help would be gratefully recieved, particularly as Ryanair are doing flights to and from Dublin for 99p.

Ta, like.

Timmay

All seems to be working for me. Perhaps the IT bods have cottened onto you, and have blocked that too?

Nah, I'd get a different screen to that.  Filtered stuff gives you information as to why it's filtered.

Bums, I hope it's not permanently shafted - I can hardly contact IT and tell them to fix it now, can I.

MojoJojo

If you know the server URL, you could try pinging it, which will tell you whether it's unreachable for some reason. Assuming it responds to pings that is.

I'd suspect it's work bloking it myself... I've never used the feature, but it may use some different ports which are just blocked outright on the other side of the proxy, so you wouldn't get a filter page back.

Timmay

You really don't know Partridge do you. He read that as...

Quote from: "In Patrick's head, MojoJojo"If you know the blaahblaah, you could try blaahblaah, which will tell you whether it's blaahblaahblaahblaahblaah. Assuming it responds to blaahblaahblaah that is.

I'd suspect it's work blaahing it myself... I've never used the feature, but it may use some different blaahblaahblaahblaah which are just blaahblaahblaahblaah blaahblaahblaahblaah, so you wouldn't get a blaahblaahblaah back.

MojoJojo

Sorry, for some reason, I read IT spacker as IT technical support person.

start menu -> run > cmd
ping <whatever the first bit of the address is i.e. www.microsoftirishlovechildren.com>

And you should get a few lines with some times on, if their servers are ok, or some timed out messages. But probably a bit pointless, as you still won't be able to do anything about it either way.

I work in IT and if someone asked me that I'd let them on.

You might as well ask them, the worst they can say is no.