Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 18, 2024, 09:55:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Colin From Accounts (Australian romcom on iPlayer)

Started by MrMealDeal, April 12, 2023, 01:08:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrMealDeal

Anyone seen this? It's an Australian meet-cute based on two strangers coming together to look after a dog run over when a woman flashes her tit at a driver and he gets distracted. Sounds shit but the script is sharp, the characterization is good and the situation is used to good effect. My partner and I hoovered up the first couple of episodes last night and we can't wait for them to finally fuck.

dead-ced-dead

I love a good romcom, so thanks for the recommendation.

neveragain

I really like it! Starts off a bit stumbley (first episodes are difficult anyway) but I was totally onboard by the second episode where we get more character detail. The relationship between them is really sweet and genuine, reminds me of John and Kayleigh from Car Share.

Malcy

Heard it advertised a few weeks ago on the radio and downloaded it to watch that night looking for something to binge.

Still not seen it...

I like the comparison to John & Kayleigh though. Will need to get it watched.

Rob1969in

Binged all 8, and loved it , you can tell Brammall and Dyer are married in real life, the chemistry is brilliant. 

ps No Afterlife overuse of the C bomb, used maybe 3 times and warranted 

neveragain

Aw, they're married? That's great. I should have known.

Tony Tony Tony

Binged four episodes of this and really looking forward to finishing the rest. Agree heartily with the above particularly on how strong the characterisations are with a couple of the supporting cast could maybe hold up in spin offs of their own.
I guess it helps being Aussie they are straight talking heart on sleeve types which makes a refreshing change from your average Brit stuff.

MrMealDeal

Finally finished the series last night and thought it was great. Perhaps the narrative tension tailed off a little bit towards the end but there were enough good lines to make it work. I had been hoping for a second series but the ending seems to preclude it. Looking forward to whatever they produce next.

neveragain

I thought the ending was pretty final too, but they could find a way around it if they wanted -

Spoiler alert
First scene of new series: them trying to get Colin back from his new owners and finding that trickier than they envisaged. Although I'd want them to succeed pretty quickly.
[close]

Dunno where the rest of the series could go.

Ja'moke

I enjoyed this for the most part, even if Gordon actor slipped into Brentisms at times.

Hated the episode with Ashley's friends though. I think they went too far in making them unlikable pricks. It made me want to turn off.

neveragain

Quote from: Ja'moke on April 17, 2023, 05:40:18 PMHated the episode with Ashley's friends though. I think they went too far in making them unlikable pricks. It made me want to turn off.

I also found that episode very cringey. Didn't want to switch off but certainly hated them to the point where it may have impaired my enjoyment.

The episode prior to that though was an absolute masterpiece of discomfort. Particularly loved the performance of Ashley's stepdad. Wonderfully sleazy and off-putting. The bit where he learnt that Snapchat messages can be recorded was a fantastic piece of acting.

Rob1969in

If you like the Actor who played the Step dad ,I highly recommend you check out This,if you haven't already .The Moodys

I agree with the others about the episode with the annoying party guests.

Virgo76

Loved this.
Great chemistry, writing, performances.
Reminded me of Spaced. Where the dog was also called Colin. Coincidence?
Hated the penultimate episode too. Why would she be friends with such a bunch of knobs? Enjoyed the lesbian crush sub-plot though.
They slightly painted themselves into a corner at the end. Perhaps six episodes would have been better?
I'm sure they'll be second series though. Looking forward to it...

Quote from: neveragain on April 17, 2023, 10:21:43 PMThe episode prior to that though was an absolute masterpiece of discomfort. Particularly loved the performance of Ashley's stepdad. Wonderfully sleazy and off-putting. The bit where he learnt that Snapchat messages can be recorded was a fantastic piece of acting.

Yes, that was suitably weird, and good that it didn't go for the usual creepy cliches.

Did the usual thing of briefly resisting this show, because people were gushing over it. But, glad I stopped being contrarian, as it's really enjoyable. Manages to be breezy and likeable, without being shallow, contrived, or predictable. If it had been made in Britain, it would have overdone the cringe comedy. And if it had been made in the US, it would have been too earnest with a moral message (that said, there's been plenty of US shows that have broken the mould). Definitely looking forward to a second series.

WangChungLung

Loving it so far, great writing and performances to date. I would recommend Wellmania - binged that in pretty much one go - really good IMHO.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Virgo76 on April 19, 2023, 06:49:25 AMLoved this.
Great chemistry, writing, performances.
Reminded me of Spaced. Where the dog was also called Colin.

I think Ashley in particular is really reminiscent of Daisy, absolutely could not tell you why, very much a vibe.

It's really good isn't it?  Properly funny without being pleased with itself for being so, happy to let you find the jokes without drawing attention to them.  Such an antidote to all the shows that are just gag engines that never let you breathe.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Easy_To_Assemble on April 23, 2023, 01:12:03 PMIf it had been made in Britain, it would have overdone the cringe comedy.

We were saying this; in any other show, accidentally photographing his penis and sending it would be a life-ruining event, and the whole rest of the episode would be about that, but instead it's a thing that happens, jokes are made about it, and everyone moves on.

Same with
Spoiler alert
"Don't let the Japs in"
[close]
we were cringing imagining what a Gervais-alike would do with that

Virgo76

Pink Gregory

I thought of that too, remember enjoying it enough but not quite getting into it in the same way.  No idea why, I like Rob Delaney and Sharon Horgan enough.

poo

Thought this was generally great, apart from the OTT friends episode as others have commented. Don't know where it goes from here, but would like to see more.

Moribunderast

Just binged this on the recommendations in this thread and glad I did. Genuinely good Australian TV comedy has been very rare for quite a while now so I was very happy that this kept a good quality throughout. Can only really agree with the sentiments already expressed regarding the chemistry between the leads and the strength of the characters.

I was nervous heading into the episode with the friends, given the chat in this thread. The ending of that one tested me a bit as
Spoiler alert
I felt like Gordon was completely in the right and Ashley (and her friends) were horrible to him all night. There probably needed to be an aspect there that made it reasonable for Ashley to also be annoyed at him because everything he said in that argument was accurate.
[close]

I do really like Patrick Brammall. He's been good in dramatic roles and was good in both the Australian and American versions of No Activity. He did veer towards Brentisms in this show at times but I really enjoyed some of his quick interjections and dismissals during conversations.

I'm not sure where a second season of the show would go but I'd definitely be interested in it given the quality of the first. Good stuff.

LordMorgan

I loved this, echo mostly what has been said all thread
I honestly didn't mind Gordon's slight brentish tics, as let's face it, despite Gervais, Brent is a fuckin hilarious comedy creation and I like Gordon's little reactions and quips.

One of the funniest scenes tho for me , is after her grans death, when the family were picking the bones and claiming all the dead grans possessions, megles telling her Aunt she was a "fucking pig"

13 schoolyards

From what I remember of the making of this, I don't think a second season is all that likely - it sounded like something the leads wrote during lockdown when they were stuck in Australia, and with their current focus being on LA / Hollywood, unless there's a firm deal for a second season it didn't sound like they were going to take a punt on coming back to Sydney to try it again.

That's not to say they wouldn't work on something else together, but I think this was done in one.

neveragain

cheesebot

Spoiler alert
What's that French for? Turds?
[close]

Rolf Lundgren

Loved it. Great performances across the board, stories that avoided any quirky cliches and laugh out loud funny every episode. A well rounded set of supporting characters too - really enjoyed Yvette becoming more unhinged later on.

I can see there being legs in another series so it's a shame if it doesn't happen.

The Mollusk

From personal experience I do understand how a bunch of friends who are ordinarily tolerable and even likable can be an absolute pack of animals when they're put together in a party environment (and Ashley does explain that as well at one point) but that being said they were definitely still overwritten in that episode. Still it was almost worth it for Gordon's "cunt" delivery which was the most satisfying use of the word I've heard since Lance in Detectorists.

Pink Gregory

got to *that* episode...

yeah...really not liking it.  The people in their late 30s written like their early 20s, Gordon's Brent-isms suddenly amping up to the point of him being a bit unlikeable, Ash barely in it.

Come to think I didn't love the episode with Ash's parents either.  Like all the careful easygoingness and cute little moments are gone.  Hope it picks up for the end but I'm a bit disappointed.

Also I guess Ms. Gregory is 11 years older than me so the whole age gap humour thing isn't really connecting with me.

Pink Gregory

Yeah, to be honest I hated that.  I appreciate that they needed the scaffolding to get where they're going but it felt really misjudged.  Like it dropped in a load of cartoon characters to create an arbitrary conflict where no one acts like themselves.

neveragain

I didn't mind the episode that much. Caricatures of the young sure, but still found it funny and relatable.

Tags: