Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 17, 2024, 10:24:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Colin From Accounts (Australian romcom on iPlayer)

Started by MrMealDeal, April 12, 2023, 01:08:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Gregory

It disliked it more than it was bad, it just feels like it came out of another, lesser, show.

Absolutely pulled it back with the final episode though.

dead-ced-dead

That episode is bad, but it didn't derail an otherwise wonderful show. Gordon is too Brent like and Ashley's friends are too cartoony, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be from how it was described.

Perhaps low expectations helped.

dead-ced-dead

How inspired by Spaced do we think this is? A dog named Colin, an unconventional meet-cute etc.

mrfridge

I really enjoyed this. Bar the horrific friends obviously.

Was it ever explained why Ash flashed her boob in the first place? I don't recall it being discussed unless it was a throwaway comment I missed.

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: mrfridge on May 14, 2023, 03:46:15 PMWas it ever explained why Ash flashed her boob in the first place? I don't recall it being discussed unless it was a throwaway comment I missed.

I think it was just she fancied being flirty. It's a bit like a Peter's Mad Thought, what would happen if I do this? And Ash proves later this is consistent with her questionable decision making ability.

neveragain

The two leads just appeared in the BAFTA's presenting a gong to The Jeffrey Dahmer Story.

MrMealDeal

There's an article about CFA in today's Guardian:

QuoteA second series is in the pipeline but hasn't been formally green-lit. "We were plotting like mad until the writers' strike was announced," says Dyer. "We have so many ideas ready to go." As Brammall says: "We just need to do what we did first time around and write stuff that makes us laugh."

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/may/24/the-word-of-mouth-has-been-crazy-how-colin-from-accounts-stormed-the-uk

neveragain

Pink Gregory

I am all the way up for this

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on May 14, 2023, 02:25:30 PMHow inspired by Spaced do we think this is? A dog named Colin, an unconventional meet-cute etc.

It's got a similar vibe at first but I think it's less about Spaced explicitly and more about an episodic romantic comedy that maybe takes a bit more from a film tradition than sitcom. 

phantom_power

I think it shares a lot with Spaced. The unconventional central relationship. Realistic depiction of things that are often over-dramatised (drugs, sexual relations etc). Lived-in characters that you don't tend to see in other sitcoms that are drawn with relatively few strokes and some subtlety A dog called Colin

Pink Gregory

Sure, I'm just wondering how much that is owned by Spaced in particular, and to be honest I can't think of many sitcoms between Spaced and Colin that have those same attributes, but I'm not that in the knowledge RE: TV.

phantom_power

I guess is may well be coincidental. You also have the fact it is co-written by the male and female leads and so both characters are very strong and free of cliche, and it very much about both of them and not one of them being the other's foil

Mobbd

Just watched all 8 episodes ON A PLANE but with CaB's recommendation on my mind.

The show is really, really good. The leads (also the writers) are very talented and likable. The girl one, Harriet Dyer, is especially good with the old naturalistic acting.

I liked the random cringe moments, perhaps especially the doctor farting. I can go either way with cringe comedy but this show got it right.

The horrible mother was a great character. I love her entrance ("Elizabeth's been raped"). Probably many of us can relate to her: the mums in my life are all a bit like that at the moment unfortunately so this was good catharsis.

To address the obvious comparisons, it's much better than Catastrophe in my opinion. There was always something creepy about the chemistry on that show, like Horgan and Delaney were probably having an affair in real life or at least flirting with one. With Colin, the fact that it's a husband-and-wife writing partnership makes it more endearing and somehow more meaningful/true to life. There is some Spaced in this too (even the dog is called Colin): it's Spaced with a very different sort of cool: more effortless charm than high-octane nerdery.

EDIT: just spotted that @phantom_power beat me to the Spaced point.

Great show. Romcom without the Richard Curtis sick-inducing piffle.

Quote from: Ja'moke on April 17, 2023, 05:40:18 PMHated the episode with Ashley's friends though. I think they went too far in making them unlikable pricks. It made me want to turn off.

That was also my one main problem. They were far too unlikable and sitcom-charactery. Too much gurning from that one main friend guy. Why would they even have their party at the brewery if it was so square to them? Why didn't Ashley introduce Gordon to some of them first? Why was Gordon's anxiety about being "old" manifest itself in such a route one sitcom way? The one bad ep.

Mobbd

Quote from: mrfridge on May 14, 2023, 03:46:15 PMWas it ever explained why Ash flashed her boob in the first place? I don't recall it being discussed unless it was a throwaway comment I missed.

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on May 14, 2023, 09:40:16 PMI think it was just she fancied being flirty. It's a bit like a Peter's Mad Thought, what would happen if I do this? And Ash proves later this is consistent with her questionable decision making ability.

Oh, very much so. Just a "why not?" moment of indulgence. Like, it's the sort of PMT we all have but she actually did it, probably because she thought it would brighten up a stranger's day. I loved it. Something very Australian about the specific nature of it too.

Mobbd

Spoiler alert
Oh, and don't let the Japs in.
[close]

Big laugh from me, that one.

dead-ced-dead

I haven't been able to stop thinking about this since I finished.

It's endearing and raw in a way that's rarely felt. Romantic and honest and the following line from the final hit me really hard:

"I think I accidentally opened my heart to a crippled dog and then you slipped through the opening at the same time."

Pink Gregory

Same here.  I think it's affecting because the inciting incident is fairly low-stakes and played quite flatly, so the show is so purely about their developing relationship and not so much about events, to the point where I'd struggle to define the events of single episodes beyond the broadest strokes.

It properly gives you room to breathe, where a lot of shows are ending up overwritten or overburdened with jokes.

Mobbd

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on May 25, 2023, 02:59:52 PM"I think I accidentally opened my heart to a crippled dog and then you slipped through the opening at the same time."

A lot of people here will think that sounds like a line from After Life. It's good though, folks, honestly! And I too have been thinking about it regularly since it finished.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Mobbd on May 25, 2023, 03:05:33 PMA lot of people here will think that sounds like a line from After Life. It's good though, folks, honestly! And I too have been thinking about it regularly since it finished.

it's all in the delivery though.  Ash says it sincerely enough but with a recognition that it's a funny line.  After Life in comparison is just relentlessly pleased with how profound it thinks it is.

It's one of my favourite things in sitcoms, characters who recognise and react to humour, it's surprisingly rare.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Pink Gregory on May 25, 2023, 03:09:34 PMit's all in the delivery though.  Ash says it sincerely enough but with a recognition that it's a funny line.  After Life in comparison is just relentlessly pleased with how profound it thinks it is.

It's one of my favourite things in sitcoms, characters who recognise and react to humour, it's surprisingly rare.

It's also when it comes in the show. I'm all for a TV show or movie earning their moments of sentimentality, rather than layering it on.

After seven and a half episodes of combative and spiky flirting, that line sideswipes. It's not dissimilar to the moments when Malcolm in the Middle went sentimental. After so many episodes of being flinty, when they come they work because they've earned that moment.

After Life jumps between "cuuuuuuuunt!" and "BOO HOO HOO MY WIFE'S DEEEEEEEAAAAAAD!" You become numb to it.

phantom_power

And he says it almost like an admission of defeat rather than some attempt to woo her or be romantic

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Mobbd on May 26, 2023, 12:28:34 PMHungry for more antipodean treasure, I found Mr. Inbetween. I like it a lot so far.

I've heard nothing but great things, so I'll give it a go.

cheesebot

Quote from: Mobbd on May 26, 2023, 12:28:34 PMHungry for more antipodean treasure, I found Mr. Inbetween. I like it a lot so far.

Thank you Mobbd - just binged them all in the last 24.

Spoiler alert
strong fourth wall ending.
[close]

Des Wigwam

Almost finished this. Loving it tbh. Always forget how much I enjoy Australian stuff.

Not getting much Brent off Gordon and reallying buying the chemistry between them (unsurprisingly). Got the party ep next so hoping you're all wrong about that one.

Creepy step-dad made me laugh a lot. Liked Gordon kicking off but acknowledging he is a "veteran people pleaser" - quite related to it. Also enjoy the old doctor and even though it's an old trope the good news / bad news gag was beautifully delivered:

Spoiler alert
I can't go sailing at the weekend because of the weather / your cancer test results are all clear
[close]

Surprisingly nice how little Colin is in - despite being a big dog fan. In a lesser show he would do a lot of lifting to cover for poor script and plotting.

A show like Afterlife, for example.

dead-ced-dead

Rewatched this all over Christmas and it's all so good. Even the bad second to last episode doesn't hit quite as badly since the last episode pulls it back.

LordMorgan

I'm really hoping for a second series because I'm a bit of a selfish cunt
But ffs
This series definitely deserves one

mrfridge

Quote from: LordMorgan on December 25, 2023, 03:22:04 PMI'm really hoping for a second series because I'm a bit of a selfish cunt
But ffs
This series definitely deserves one

Here you go then. Merry chrimbo!

https://deadline.com/2023/12/colin-from-accounts-season-2-production-strike-delay-1235670216/amp/

Pink Gregory

yesssss

it's not even contrived because it feels like it has somewhere to go

this was really special

Tags: