Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 17, 2024, 12:11:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sam Campbell UK tour

Started by Tiggles, October 06, 2023, 08:05:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveDave

All I can find is this but when I saw him at the Resonance benefit last year with my drunk wife, he was on really early so he could attend a wrap party for "his TV show"

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/7822/sam-campbell-channel-4-pilot/

SteveDave

Sam Campbell is the support for Paul Williams (NZ "Taskmaster" assistant) show at Earth in Hackney next month. Fingers crossed they do the podcast theme music. Paul Williams did the music.

Tiggles

Sam's just re-uploaded his "Beautiful Generations" film to his YouTube channel, doesn't look any different to when he first put it up (then unlisted it after half an hour). This was one of the films that was shown at the recent Adult Film Club and it went down a storm. Some of the biggest laughs of the night. 

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Tiggles on May 20, 2024, 02:34:13 PMSam's just re-uploaded his "Beautiful Generations" film to his YouTube channel, doesn't look any different to when he first put it up (then unlisted it after half an hour). This was one of the films that was shown at the recent Adult Film Club and it went down a storm. Some of the biggest laughs of the night. 

I really love Sam but I felt a bit uncomfortable watching that, the two involved were obviously eccentrics but not knowing anything about them made it feel a bit cruel at times.

Quote from: SteveDave on April 27, 2024, 03:06:19 PMSam Campbell is the support for Paul Williams (NZ "Taskmaster" assistant) show at Earth in Hackney next month. Fingers crossed they do the podcast theme music. Paul Williams did the music.

I had to pass on my ticket at the last minute to a friend. If anyone was there, and perhaps happened to make any sort of bootleg of the event heaven forfend, I would appreciate it.

Tiggles

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on May 20, 2024, 08:42:21 PMI really love Sam but I felt a bit uncomfortable watching that, the two involved were obviously eccentrics but not knowing anything about them made it feel a bit cruel at times.

I see what you mean, but for me it felt like they both leaned into what was clearly abject nonsense. Ricky seems great and Sue deserves a show of her own. I didn't feel like I was laughing at them, rather the absurdity of the situation. Would be interested to know what they thought of it, though. Is Sam doing a bit of a Fielder?

SteveDave

Quote from: thatguyfromthatthing on May 20, 2024, 08:52:41 PMI had to pass on my ticket at the last minute to a friend. If anyone was there, and perhaps happened to make any sort of bootleg of the event heaven forfend, I would appreciate it.

If you've seen him doing 10 minutes anywhere, then you'll have seen what he did here.

Tiggles

The second leg of Wobservations in the UK kicked off tonight at the Lowry. I saw this twice on the last tour and it's got even better. Absolute mayhem, brilliant stuff all round, stupidly addictive.

Spoiler alert
The venue specific stuff was incredible. I don't think I'll get over watching Sam unable to resist licking the tongue of a puppet, and being mauled by a bear. Some lovely digs at the new Taskmaster champion, too.
[close]

Snrub

Was also there tonight and thought it was fantastic. Took two mates who like comedy but didn't have a clue about Sam before tonight and they loved it - which is always a relief innit.

Seriously tempted to go back to watch
Spoiler alert
The Hungry Caterpillar in the morning with my four year old, just to show appreciation if nothing else
[close]

The last two gigs I've seen both had co-op live punchlines. Sam's was superb.

The other was Peter Kay's delayed debut on a freebie and it wasn't bad to be fair but hard to compete with this. A story for another thread anyway.

I knew Sam would be good anyway and this surpassed expectations. Super night out

Tiggles

Quote from: Snrub on June 01, 2024, 12:12:40 AMThe last two gigs I've seen both had co-op live punchlines. Sam's was superb.

God I'd forgotten about this. So packed with stuff.

Spoiler alert
Just remembered about the fridge too and laughed out loud.
[close]

Only went last night as my nephew's girlfriend couldn't go and he felt anxious about going on his own. Going tonight as well and couldn't be more delighted. Monster of a show.

rude soil

Spoiler alert
Did one of the audience members asked on stage receive a note saying to be as disruptive as possible?
[close]

Tiggles

Quote from: rude soil on June 21, 2024, 11:04:34 PM
Spoiler alert
Did one of the audience members asked on stage receive a note saying to be as disruptive as possible?
[close]

Spoiler alert
I think he's been handing out a piece of paper with instructions of what to say, with possibly some stage directions about how to say it. What happened in your show?
[close]

rude soil

Spoiler alert
Sam asked all people above 6'4" to go up to the stage for the pick a number thing. Eventually four people came down including a guy from the balcony. Sam gave the balcony guy a note and told him to read it inconspicuously. The guy read the note and then ate it. Sam asked him 'oh noo why would you do that???' and paused for a bit. When it was time to talk to the balcony guy, the guy would answer 'no' or 'negative 3'. After a bit of back and forth Sam says to him 'phenomenal acting by the way'. Sam said 'urgh' normally when someone does this he hands the card to someone else but he can't do it because the guy ate it. Sam asks him if he remembers anything from the card the guy remembers about the secret board. He then continues the show talking to a different one of the guys.
[close]

Tiggles

Quote from: rude soil on June 22, 2024, 11:29:39 AM
Spoiler alert
Sam asked all people above 6'4" to go up to the stage for the pick a number thing. Eventually four people came down including a guy from the balcony. Sam gave the balcony guy a note and told him to read it inconspicuously. The guy read the note and then ate it. Sam asked him 'oh noo why would you do that???' and paused for a bit. When it was time to talk to the balcony guy, the guy would answer 'no' or 'negative 3'. After a bit of back and forth Sam says to him 'phenomenal acting by the way'. Sam said 'urgh' normally when someone does this he hands the card to someone else but he can't do it because the guy ate it. Sam asks him if he remembers anything from the card the guy remembers about the secret board. He then continues the show talking to a different one of the guys.
[close]

Spoiler alert
It feel like this was someone getting creative in Cambo's show. You never know, though!
[close]

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on May 20, 2024, 08:42:21 PMI really love Sam but I felt a bit uncomfortable watching that, the two involved were obviously eccentrics but not knowing anything about them made it feel a bit cruel at times.

If you're wondering what kind of life event could turn somebody stark raving eccentric it could well be something like the Hampstead Hoax.

Quote...a series of false allegations starting in 2014 that a Satan-worshipping paedophile ring of about "175 parents, teachers and religious leaders" had been abusing children in the Hampstead area of north London.

In the summer of 2014, two children made accusations that their father, Ricky Dearman, former husband of Russian-born Hampstead resident Ella Draper, was running the ring. Draper reported that her two children had been abused by their father. The police interviewed the children, making an audio recording according to standard procedure; the children said that their father was a member of a ring of Satanic paedophiles who killed babies and drank their blood. They said that cult members would drink the babies' blood, then dance around wearing babies' skulls, and shoes made of baby skin.

There was a c4 documentary about it a few months ago which might explain why Sam's video was unlisted.

Here is the guy being interviewed about it almost a decade ago.

Ron Superior

Worth saying that if you think this will be a fun crazy element to accompany Sam's show, it absolutely is not and is in fact extremely harrowing. It definitely does serve to explain why the guy is so eccentric but I absolutely advise against watching it if you're triggered by descriptions of child abuse.

imitationleather

Got a ticket for him at the Clapham Grand next month. If it turns out I'm working that night I am no joke topping myself.

Well, probably not topping myself but fuck me I am going to be bent out of shape.

lazyhour

Saw him in Brighton last night. First time seeing him in the flesh. It was absolutely brilliant. Exceeded my expectations. Just so many funny ideas crammed into the evening.

An observation: he's pretty much doing a Donald Trump impression about 60% on the time. Has he ever talked about this?

Utter Shit

Quote from: lazyhour on June 30, 2024, 04:47:18 PMSaw him in Brighton last night. First time seeing him in the flesh. It was absolutely brilliant. Exceeded my expectations. Just so many funny ideas crammed into the evening.

An observation: he's pretty much doing a Donald Trump impression about 60% on the time. Has he ever talked about this?

I was there too, it was brilliant but weirdly draining, I felt like I had exhaustion by-proxy by the end.

Highlights for me were...

Spoiler alert
-The possibly consequences of allowing dogs to see colour
-The insane alien thing that capped off the life insurance bit
[close]

crumblingman

Quote from: Tiggles on May 31, 2024, 10:38:04 PM
Spoiler alert
Some lovely digs at the new Taskmaster champion, too.
[close]

Go on...

Tiggles

Quote from: crumblingman on July 01, 2024, 09:24:17 AMGo on...

Nothing bad, just good natured joshing about how he wished that the winner had taken it all a bit more seriously and been more competitive.

Tiggles

Some seats have just been made available on Dice for some of the the previously sold-out final shows at Clapham Grand next week, if anyone fancies being filmed.

Cambo recently put up a call-out for historical re-enactment groups (with costumes) to get in touch about doing something with him on the Thursday night show(s), I'm definitely intrigued.

edwardfog

I think the re-enactment thing might be to do with a separate TV show he's filming

Tiggles

Still intrigued, but in a different way. Ta for the insider info!

imitationleather

Managed to see this fellah last night. Thought it was fantastic. He's got a real Harry Hill-style energy, which is a great thing in my view. Having visuals and slides and stuff is something I'm not usually too keen on, as it feels a little too close to prop comedy for me, but most of it was good enough to justify it. Will definitely go and see him again the next chance I get.

Not related to Campbell, but I was sat right up in the gods at Clapham Grand and my word those seats are appalling. They've got no backs and as someone who has fractured their spine in the past sitting like that for hours has totally fucked me up for today. Never again!

Tiggles

I was in the middle circle and it was silly hot with loads of visibility barriers. Beautiful venue though and Cambo threw the kitchen sink at the show. I'm going for the last one on Thurs and will get there early to try to get seated in the stalls.

I've zero regrets about going to see this so often (albeit with different people), he always makes it fresh and walking in Cambo's world is such a treat.  Along with loads of other stuff, it was the first time I'd seen that fantastically stupid pre-show and entrance!

I'm seeing him tonight! Is seating not allocated? Basically first come first served in whatever section your in?

Tiggles

Quote from: Simply_The_Bestest on Today at 09:46:03 AMI'm seeing him tonight! Is seating not allocated? Basically first come first served in whatever section your in?

Yep - if you are stalls/circle, last night stalls were filled 15 mins after doors opened

holyzombiejesus

Anyone know if he's filmed any of this tour?

Tiggles

There's a note on the Clapham tickets that any of the four shows could be filmed for public broadcast, but I didn't see any cameras. I bet he's saving the filming for the two back-to-back shows on Thursday.

How on earth he edits a traditional "hour" out of this stuff is anyone's guess.

Tags: