Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 18, 2024, 08:30:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Curb Your Enthusiasm 12

Started by AzureSky, December 14, 2023, 08:23:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

but the statement "stop laughing, it isn't funny" isn't passive-aggressive

tourism

he was being pissy and seething so near enough

thr0b

Ruben Remus

Quote from: madhair60 on May 24, 2024, 10:14:08 AMbut the statement "stop laughing, it isn't funny" isn't passive-aggressive

I don't see passive-aggression (or regular aggression) as something that can be divorced from context and tone like that but this isn't a hill I'm particularly arsed about dying on.

I mainly just think that Letterman clip is a very funny and strange bit of tv, and always enjoy bringing it up, but I do also think it illustrates Seinfeld's tetchy, precious personality pretty well.

Utter Shit

I'd never seen that clip before, it doesn't come across that way to me at all. I'm not particularly a fan of Seinfeld, but it seems to me like he's gently resetting the tone to prevent it from making everyone involved look bad, not least the crowd.

He just seems like he's genuinely upset that his mate has got himself into this horrible situation and wants to give him a chance to redeem himself (whether that was a good idea, especially so shortly after it happened, is another question), and he doesn't want it to be misconstrued as a joke because that would make Richards look even worse.

Not to overegg it but it was quite noble of him IMO - he's risking making himself unpopular with the crowd in front of him by lightly telling them off in order to protect Richards. And risking his reputation generally by even going on the show to defend his friend for what are, on the face of it, pretty indefensible actions.

TheMonk

I never saw it that way. That leaked video was so shocking and I think Jerry was at least in part thinking of himself and the damage being done to the lofty status of the sitcom with his name on it. That show is his legacy and his cash cow. It was very much in Seinfeld's best interest that he get the disgraced actor from his sitcom to apologise and at least try to improve this publicity nightmare. And at that point Jerry would have had no faith in Richards doing it himself. I really don't think it was an entirely altruistic act sitting there with him. I can imagine a call saying "What we are going to do is go on TV together and you are going to apologise..." And then he wasn't going to let some mocking laughter from the studio audience unravel this crucial PR exercise.
A calculated attempt to salvage his sitcom's status. All things considered, after the mess Richards had made it was a pretty decent attempt.

mr. logic

Quote from: TheMonk on May 24, 2024, 12:56:26 PMI never saw it that way. That leaked video was so shocking and I think Jerry was at least in part thinking of himself and the damage being done to the lofty status of the sitcom with his name on it. That show is his legacy and his cash cow. It was very much in Seinfeld's best interest that he get the disgraced actor from his sitcom to apologise and at least try to improve this publicity nightmare. And at that point Jerry would have had no faith in Richards doing it himself. I really don't think it was an entirely altruistic act sitting there with him. I can imagine a call saying "What we are going to do is go on TV together and you are going to apologise..." And then he wasn't going to let some mocking laughter from the studio audience unravel this crucial PR exercise.
A calculated attempt to salvage his sitcom's status. All things considered, after the mess Richards had made it was a pretty decent attempt.

Think the DVD was coming out that very day. That's why Seinfeld was on Letterman in the first place.

Ruben Remus

I guess for me the slightly hesitant laughter from the audience is a perfectly reasonable reaction to a segment that initially comes across like a pre-prepared comedy bit and Seinfeld's pissy response just adds an extra layer of absurdity to the whole thing.

Mobbd

Takes all my might not to shout "fuck you, Mocha Joe!" as I pass this new place.

mojo filters

Quote from: Mobbd on May 26, 2024, 03:03:51 PMTakes all my might not to shout "fuck you, Mocha Joe!" as I pass this new place.

What concerns me is that someone has looked at the state of that and decided "this is how the good people of Park Farm want their coffee served for the next 100 years!"

I mean the messaging is all over the shop: Coffee Joe, apparently openly part of The Coffee Cartel, originating in 1925 and currently situated within a victorian police station in a format most commonly associated with the most successful and longest running British TV sci-fi franchise...fuck you and your confusing aesthetic!

Mobbd

Quote from: mojo filters on May 26, 2024, 03:58:40 PMWhat concerns me is that someone has looked at the state of that and decided "this is how the good people of Park Farm want their coffee served for the next 100 years!"

I mean the messaging is all over the shop: Coffee Joe, apparently openly part of The Coffee Cartel, originating in 1925 and currently situated within a victorian police station in a format most commonly associated with the most successful and longest running British TV sci-fi franchise...fuck you and your confusing aesthetic!

Aye, it's rubbish. Most things in the area are rubbish to be honest. Illiterate tone-deaf artless post-apocalypse shite.

The Mocha Joe-looking guy in the logo still makes me smile though. Fuck you, Mocha Joe!

Mobbd

I just watched S10E01 for Mocha Joe's first appearance. You know what? It was fucking hilarious. Not just the Mocha Joe stuff; all of it.

Season 10 was well past the shark jump for me. But on rewatching it a few years later... I was impressed. Pleasantly surprised. Maybe the same will be true of Season 12 and all these cartoonish late episodes. Here's hoping.

Queen Peach

it's honestly insultingly bad. don't watch

Noodle Lizard

Finally caught up with this. My opinion remains unchanged; they should've ended it with the Seinfeld reunion in Season 7. We would've been left with a near-flawless show with only a few missteps. Glad they've put it to bed, albeit fifteen years too late.

Always Sunny next, please.

Tags: