Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 18, 2024, 09:16:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Lucy Beaumont and Sam Campbell podcast - Perfect Brains

Started by Bobloblawslawbomb, April 08, 2024, 12:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
As it's been talked about in the taskmaster 17 and the Sam Campbell tour thread, thought I'd get a proper one started.

Quote from: Tiggles on April 05, 2024, 09:19:03 AMSecond Perfect Brains podcast up. Tim Key verbally slapping Sam about is truly beautiful.

Quote from: SteveDave on April 08, 2024, 11:41:16 AMAfter listening to this episode, I think we can be safely assured that Lucy Beaumont is not a character act. Unless her mum is too. I walked to meet some friends listening to this yesterday and I don't remember laughing out loud in the street as much to a podcast before. Every story was weirder and unsettling than the last from her mum.

Certainly Lucy's personality no longer a mystery.

Really enjoying these so far, great chemistry between them both, nice to hear them making each other laugh. The first 'pre episode' had a very in-character, withering 'endorsement' from Julian Clary.

Tiggles

The podcast social media has posted an edited clip of the lunch story where Sam positively glows with each slight from Tim:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C5fxYeQIHDT/?igsh=dGRpM3g4M2twMWcx

I don't care if that lunch story is most likely mostly a fabrication, it makes me laugh out loud in the perfection of its growing ludicrousness and how Sam can't put up a proper fight due to giggling too much.

Spoiler alert
"It was like having dinner with John and Norma Major!"
[close]

Snrub

Got nothing but love for the boys from above!

Not listened to episode two yet but was genuinely in tears at the theme tune discussion

Tiggles

Quote from: Snrub on April 08, 2024, 08:31:21 PMNot listened to episode two yet but was genuinely in tears at the theme tune discussion

I thought that was going to last for the full 44 minutes (and I've have liked it, too).

majava

I wasn't completely sold on episode 1, but their conversation in ep 2 about Lucy's relationship with the concept of time was amazing.

KennyMonster

Spoiler alert
You said you also met Fraiser, wasn't his wife good with a Rubik's cube too?*
[close]

*Not an exact quote

Tiggles

Lucy reminds me of my sister so much - super-smart, one of the funniest people I know but definitely of another realm of existence.

frajer

Finally got round to this. What an absolute treat.

To echo others - 1,2,3,4,5,6, oh I've got nothing but love for the boys from above.

Sebastian Cobb

Is it too much to expect the thread contains a thematic gist for those of us who don't keep up with the taskmaster thread?

Led Souptin

Quote from: frajer on April 09, 2024, 04:33:49 PMFinally got round to this. What an absolute treat.

To echo others - 1,2,3,4,5,6, oh I've got nothing but love for the boys from above.

The slight pause between 2 and 3 gets me every time

Twilkes

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 09, 2024, 05:16:54 PMIs it too much to expect the thread contains a thematic gist for those of us who don't keep up with the taskmaster thread?

Two fruitloops met and created something that would be shit were it just one fruitloop behind it. Like a fruitMöbiusstrip.

frajer

Listened to ep 2 last night. Must admit I rolled my eyes when they said Lucy's mum was going to be a guest - thinking it might be the predictable "old people, eh - what are they like? With their different viewpoints?" humour - but I am a cynical dope because she was brilliant. The repeated references to "the stash" really got me laughing.

Also loved her going along with Sam's playful ribbing until he jabbed once too often.
Spoiler alert
"You lairy fuck."
[close]

Great dynamic and the best new podcast I've heard in ages.

Captain Z

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 09, 2024, 05:16:54 PMIs it too much to expect the thread contains a thematic gist for those of us who don't keep up with the taskmaster thread?

It's a bit difficult because the two episodes so far have been completely different, and I suspect it will continue like that until it really 'finds it feet' (if ever).

In episode 1 they discuss the human face and their thoughts about the various features of it. Like another poster above I really wasn't sold on it after this.

Episode 2 is about holidays. Sam and guest Tim Key discuss a (possibly made-up) incident that occurred when they went on holiday together, then Lucy and guest her mum discuss a holiday from her teenage years which mostly stuns even Sam into silence. Much more entertaining.

Led Souptin

I've always sort of avoided Lucy, mainly because of her proximity to john Richardson, but since hearing her on off menu and this, I think she's really funny.

Slightly off topic but her off menu episode is probably the funniest it's ever been.

non capisco

Quote from: Led Souptin on April 10, 2024, 09:39:36 PMSlightly off topic but her off menu episode is probably the funniest it's ever been.

Sam Campbell's is pretty mint as well.

Thoroughly enjoyed both episodes of this so far, particularly the second and Sam's audible delight at receiving another standard Tim Key bating.

Ron Superior

Love this podcast so much. It was a risk that 2 genuine oddballs together could not work, with them either trying to outdo each other or just being weird adjacent to each other or whatever, but after finding their feet in the first episode they're absolutely on fire.

They're like 2 awesome siblings who are just telepathically connected but totally different to each other. And they seem to really just enjoy hearing what each other has to say. They just compliment each other perfectly.

This week's episode killed me.

Spoiler alert
"Lucy, for £48 will you drink 2.5 liters of white vinegar?"

"What day is it?"

"Monday."

"Yeah, ok"
[close]

Tony Yeboah

Quote from: Led Souptin on April 10, 2024, 09:39:36 PMI've always sort of avoided Lucy, mainly because of her proximity to john Richardson, but since hearing her on off menu and this, I think she's really funny.

Slightly off topic but her off menu episode is probably the funniest it's ever been.

Her and Jon are divorcing. Probably due to this comment.

jobotic

Yeah always assumed she'd be like him (unfairly) and I can't fucking stand him. Then I saw five minutes of that Richardsons thing. Appalling. I thought it was all a "I'm right ditzy me" act when she was first on TM but then I found myself really laughing at some of the things she said. Might give this a whirl.

Snrub

Quote from: Tony Yeboah on April 12, 2024, 03:06:38 PMHer and Jon are divorcing. Probably due to this comment.

The new series of Meet The Richardsons only started a couple of days ago as well. Spoiler for the last episode I guess...

As much as I love Sam (and I'm very fond of Lucy too), I wasn't sure we needed yet another podcast featuring the stars of Taskmaster - but this is brilliant.

I'll admit I groaned a little bit when I downloaded the first episode and saw they were riffing on a random topic - like dozens of other podcasts - but then the second episode had Tim Key berating Sam and then Sam having to play the straight man to the madness of Lucy's mum. And then today's edition is Sam's new idea for a game show?! Wonderful.

Sam's a genius but Lucy is fantastic too. I think there's a bit of unintentional sexism around any 'is she real or is she a character?' that you so often hear asked, because nobody questions that for Sam or James Acaster or Harry Hill. She's definitely eccentric but she's also a professional comedian who knows exactly what to exaggerate to get laughs. I've never seen her standup but she's terrific on this, Taskmaster and Would I Lie To You.

Led Souptin

Quote from: Tony Yeboah on April 12, 2024, 03:06:38 PMHer and Jon are divorcing. Probably due to this comment.

Come to think of it, ade edmonson is a right ninny too
(sorry i'm drunk with power and couldn't think of any other married comedian couples to try this with. ade is lovely)

christ imagine going through a divorce as a sictom based on your wacky marriage continues to air. would do me in.

neveragain

Looking forward to the new series of Meet The Beaumont-Campbells.

SteveDave

Lucy and her mum are doing a live show next month. I can only imagine it'll be the best car crash since 1997.

lauraxsynthesis

Quote from: Led Souptin on April 12, 2024, 05:24:37 PMchrist imagine going through a divorce as a sictom based on your wacky marriage continues to air. would do me in.

Lucille Ball hung on until the day after filming her final show with Desi Arnaz. I wonder how the promo period went.

Beaumont is one of several people who've caught my attention because they were so funny in Icklewick FM. I never would have had a look at something with John Richardson in. Well done to her for getting away from that Melt.

Arbiter

Not heard anything from Jon Richardson since he first appeared on the scene and I found him funny and quite sharp. Skipped all the panel bollocks and never heard anything of Lucy, nor Sam Campbell, not watched Taskmaster since Phil Wang was on it. I don't really find most comedians funny these days but I enjoyed this, especially Lucy, some very funny angles/phrasing delivered in a matter of fact way. I find faux-naif extremely eye-rolling and she seems to veer close but, no, she's got her own tone. I'll listen to this. Not sure why Richardson is now a cunt but as I don't watch UK TV comedian, it won't bother me.

beanheadmcginty

I never really minded Richardson until he did that travel show with Sean Lock where they went to America and he came across as a small minded boring petty prick and Lock was clearly exasperated with his behaviour and attitude.

dontpaintyourteeth

I can't believe that their marriage is over and I personally don't know if I'll ever believe in love again

Aye Well Mmm

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on April 13, 2024, 03:09:35 PMI never really minded Richardson until he did that travel show with Sean Lock where they went to America and he came across as a small minded boring petty prick and Lock was clearly exasperated with his behaviour and attitude.

Oh my God me too. His attitude was insufferable, like how was his small mindedness and ingratitude at their guests and their culture any different than your average xenophobic bigots? And his "jokes" - an onion/nunion - were dire. Then he did that bit on Have I Got News For You after the 2017 GE about how Corbyn should apologise and resign and I've avoided him since. Typical centrist wanker. I've never took to Beaumont because of him, and presumed she only got on TV because of their association.

Tags: