Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 17, 2024, 12:01:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Lucy Beaumont and Sam Campbell podcast - Perfect Brains

Started by Bobloblawslawbomb, April 08, 2024, 12:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Aye Well Mmm on April 13, 2024, 03:28:10 PMI've never took to Beaumont because of him, and presumed she only got on TV because of their association.

FFS. She's a professional standup comedian, writer and actor.

Really liked the bit with Tim Key which did make me think it could maybe do with a "voice of sanity" in it to anchor the madness somewhat.

Aye Well Mmm

[removed sexist twattery - BAdmin]

Barry Admin

Aye Well Mmm

Not really sexist though is it? What *is* sexist is TV bookers and commissioners who don't entertain women on their own terms. Truth is, her career on TV developed exponentially as Richardson's personal and professional partner as IMDB easily shows. Even her co-writer on Hullraisers, Caitlin Moran's sister, can recall how Raised by Wolves was turned down by the BBC because they had already committed to a female led sitcom (just one 30 min ep) that year, so it's no surprise really. Meet Lucy would not have been commissioned, but Meet the Richardsons is an instant sign off. It's not sexist to recognise that. But hey, delete this too if you like

Crunk

Quote from: Aye Well Mmm on April 13, 2024, 06:23:53 PMMeet Lucy would not have been commissioned, but Meet the Richardsons is an instant sign off. It's not sexist to recognise that. But hey, delete this too if you like

You're right. It's been going on far too long, this business of bringing in a man to make a sellable double act when there was a perfectly marketable concept already in place.

Oh,to have been able to watch Steptoe on telly.

Or The Ronnie.

Perhaps Chas could have sung the theme song.

Aye Well Mmm

Quote from: Crunk on April 13, 2024, 07:07:00 PMYou're right. It's been going on far too long, this business of bringing in a man to make a sellable double act when there was a perfectly marketable concept already in place.

Oh,to have been able to watch Steptoe on telly.

Or The Ronnie.

Perhaps Chas could have sung the theme song.

Not sure arguing that sexism doesn't exist in the industry by using examples of male led programming and double acts is the "ta da" you think it is chief. Weird to discover a community choosing to refuse sexism and/or nepotism exists.

Twilkes

Meet Jon Richardson wouldn't have been commissioned either, and from what I could tell Lucy was the driver behind that whole show, she wrote most of it and Jon just turned up and looked confused, whether he was acting or not.

And Lucy described Sam as like a brother after Taskmaster so if they've hooked up then that's some really weird vibes.

Agree that they need someone else in the pods to anchor them, I've not really zoned in on them when it's just them chatting together.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Aye Well Mmm on April 13, 2024, 07:23:14 PMWeird to discover a community choosing to refuse sexism and/or nepotism exists.

Yep that is what we're all thinking, all of us in this community, all thinking that right now and all the time

Crunk

Quote from: Aye Well Mmm on April 13, 2024, 07:23:14 PMNot sure arguing that sexism doesn't exist in the industry by using examples of male led programming and double acts is the "ta da" you think it is chief.

I did nothing of the sort, just pointed out that your 'whatif' scenario was utter trash.

EDIT: And people are still using 'chief' on the internet. In 2024. Fascinating.

g0m

Quote from: Snrub on April 12, 2024, 04:02:33 PMThe new series of Meet The Richardsons only started a couple of days ago as well. Spoiler for the last episode I guess...

I did look this up and the last episode of meet the richardsons ends with
Spoiler alert
lucy falling through the bar and jon making a face
[close]

boinkboink

I was skeptical at first, as I was afraid it would try too hard to be bonkers. Combining the two most out there TM S16 contestants almost seemed like fan service. But so far it has really felt effortless. It's a really fun podcast.

Not really sexist to talk about whether someone's relationship is the reason for their leg up in show business. The whole industry is basically built on knowing the right people.

She definitely got on TV more because she was married to Jon Richardson. It is just a fact and they used their marriage as a selling point for comedy in a very considered way. Perfectly reasonable to discuss how that dynamic affected their careers. 

Icehaven

Do you have to have watched Taskmaster to fully appreciate this or is it a separate thing?

Mr Trumpet

Quote from: Icehaven on April 15, 2024, 06:46:08 AMDo you have to have watched Taskmaster to fully appreciate this or is it a separate thing?

I've only heard the first two but they haven't mentioned Taskmaster at all yet.

They do a brief episode 0 thing where they phone Julian Clary (who was also in their series of TM) but even there they don't talk about the show except in general terms.

The Mollusk

Sam and Tim constantly upping the ante to challenge each other in their anecdotes - especially them both sucking up to the wealthy woman - was really good. It felt like a lot of this was improvised, would I be right in assuming that?

The stuff with Lucy's mum however felt like it was largely grounded in reality which made it tragically funny.

WhoMe

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on April 13, 2024, 05:06:36 PMFFS. She's a professional standup comedian, writer and actor.

Wow, Richardson is more more influential than I thought!

Twilkes

Her mother has been a playwright for years so she's had that background instilled in her. She was a finalist in So You Think You Are Funny, won the BBC Radio New Comedy award, and Chortle and Edinburgh Fringe Best Newcomer awards, all before she got married. If anything, she's probably helped sustain Jon Richardson's career since their sitcom began, from what I can tell he doesn't even get writing credits on it.

I seem to remember Johnny Vegas being a big champion of hers in her early Edinburgh days.

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: Twilkes on April 15, 2024, 08:08:12 PMHer mother has been a playwright for years so she's had that background instilled in her. She was a finalist in So You Think You Are Funny, won the BBC Radio New Comedy award, and Chortle and Edinburgh Fringe Best Newcomer awards, all before she got married. If anything, she's probably helped sustain Jon Richardson's career since their sitcom began, from what I can tell he doesn't even get writing credits on it.

I really fucking appreciate you writing that out but it's insane you had to. Exhausting.

DrJ

I wanted to find out more about Lucy's mum and found this article from The Guardian in 2000.  An interesting read:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2000/dec/06/familyandrelationships.features103

cakeinmilk

Quote from: DrJ on April 15, 2024, 10:22:40 PMI wanted to find out more about Lucy's mum and found this article from The Guardian in 2000.  An interesting read:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2000/dec/06/familyandrelationships.features103

That's fascinating - cheers for digging that up.

QuoteGill Adams's play Crush - one in Radio 3's series of new dramas, The Wire - will be broadcast on December 9 at 10.45pm

Anyone have this?

gilbertharding

I'd just like to say that I enjoyed her 2014 Radio 4 sitcom To Hull and Back, which was about an incredibly naïve woman and her mother (played, unfortunately, by Maureen Lipman, but you can't have everything), trying to scratch a living doing Car Boot Sales in East Yorkshire. I presumed it was autobiographical.

oggyraiding

I've never really had much time for Beaumont, but I think I've only saw her on 8 Out Of 10 Cats Countdown and probably other panel shows. Adverts for The Richardsons looked really dire. This was more because she was associated with Richardson who I find very very unfunny and charmless, so maybe I need to reappraise her without considering the connection to her now ex-husband. Is her Taskmaster run a good place to start?

frajer

I only watched the first few episodes of Meet the Richardsons, but it struck me as one of those shows where everyone involved thought a fake documentary would be a guaranteed vehicle to deliver laughs from the awkwardness of "real" interactions but it actually just came across as very manufactured and lifeless.

Ep 3 of Perfect Brains was another good 'un. I still can't stop singing the theme tune - I'm talking God, Jesus and the Hooooly Spirit.

Pimhole

Quote from: gilbertharding on April 16, 2024, 09:33:46 AMI'd just like to say that I enjoyed her 2014 Radio 4 sitcom To Hull and Back, which was about an incredibly naïve woman and her mother (played, unfortunately, by Maureen Lipman, but you can't have everything), trying to scratch a living doing Car Boot Sales in East Yorkshire. I presumed it was autobiographical.

I really loved that too, and thought it showed real talent as a writer. She reminded me a lot of Victoria Wood or Alan Bennett, a real ear for idiosyncratic yet authentic dialogue. I was excited to see what she would do next, not necessarily a straight transfer to TV but a play or a new dramady... it's a shame she got side-lined with the Richardsons stuff, but it probably was more down to TV commissioners being idiots.

neveragain

Quote from: Pimhole on April 16, 2024, 11:32:42 AMShe reminded me a lot of Victoria Wood or Alan Bennett, a real ear for idiosyncratic yet authentic dialogue.

You needn't have removed Daisy May Cooper from that list. This Country is full of that kind of dialogue.

selectivememory

Quote from: oggyraiding on April 16, 2024, 11:12:33 AMIs her Taskmaster run a good place to start?

I think so. Also gives you a taste of her and Campbell's dynamic together.

It wasn't my favourite series of TM, but it (and Lucy) did grow on me as it went on. Not entirely sold on this podcast yet, but willing to give it some time and see how it develops. Enjoyable enough for the time being anyway.

Pimhole

Quote from: neveragain on April 16, 2024, 12:04:40 PMYou needn't have removed Daisy May Cooper from that list. This Country is full of that kind of dialogue.

Yeah, I just realised that This Country came out much later so she couldn't have reminded me of DMC at the time, but she's definitely capable of writing stuff in that vein.

Des Wigwam

I may have the wrong person but I was always put off her standup as it seemed very twee. There is a mama-mia joke that seemed to get played a lot on something like E4 trailers and it left me cold so I didn't bother with more. Then the Richardsons started and that sort of thing is not for me. I also don't particularly like Taskmaster; what? say some'in.

She wrote Hullraisers and I really enjoyed that and keep forgetting there is a second series. The only annoyance was all the bits filmed on hills for which Hull is not famous.

Mixed feelings about ep 1 of this but enjoyed it enough and added it to my rotation.

Tags: