Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 18, 2024, 10:01:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Lee and Herring rewatch

Started by Shaxberd, May 12, 2024, 11:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: jamiefairlie on July 07, 2024, 10:56:35 PMThink it was "BCG" that Rod shouted.

Don't know if they still do it but it was a bugger of a vaccination we got at school that fucked your shoulder up for weeks. I still have a big scar there from it. I think it was for TB.

if anyone brushed lightly up against our shoulder we would scream "AAAAHHHH BCG!" and fall to the ground.

Spoiler alert
28 years old, we were.
[close]

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: lauraxsynthesis on July 07, 2024, 10:09:39 PMYou remind me I meant to mention that a v young Daniel Mays popped up with a speaking role in the naff cool teacher's classroom.

Am I right in remembering his name is Patrick Nuffield as that would be top level useless information retention

Mobbd

I hope Catie Wilkins has seen young Rich's message to his future wife.

Quote from: Shaxberd on July 07, 2024, 01:02:55 PMHat fucked at the realisation that the end of the X-Files and the end of Charles and Di's marriage overlapped, although on further reflection it makes sense I was surprised because the X-Files didn't end in 1996, the original run kept going until 2002. Must have been referring to the end of a season. Anyway, point is, I'd totally watch the Paranormal Fat Men's Weird Sex Show.

I remember that well. There was real buzz about the Season 2 cliffhanger on BBC1. It came out on VHS with the Season 3 conclusion as "The Unopened File" before UK broadcast. That's the "top selling video" Stew refers to.

Quote from: Shaxberd on July 07, 2024, 01:02:55 PMOne running theme throughout Fist of Fun is the feeling that you're never really that far removed from the world of the playground. They're both fine solo (well, Stew more than Rich) but that particular combination of thoughtfulness and absolute childishness is the signature of the double act.

Nailed it.

"he's giving me a ChiNESE burn!"

Stinky Lomax

Finally caught up with this, and agree with much of the opinions shared. Another good episode, but the wedding sketch is naff (and of course the producers one). I really like how Peter shows up at the end, it's nice to see him, Rod, Rich and Stew all 'on-stage' at the same time. I think it happened once before, maybe. If only they could have contrived a way to get a Sally Phillips character up there too.

Perhaps my favourite line from this one is "Um, what is the meaning of this? I specifically requested green-flavoured jelly, this is red-flavoured." I still regularly refer to stuff as [colour]-flavoured to this day.

Also finding the commentaries a bit depressing, but more because they're wrong about a lot of it. Thinking the first episode was bad, that every sketch should be cut in half, and that they should have played a lot more of the lead parts in the sketches. Re. the latter, apart from the fact that they're not very good actors (which they do admit in the same breath, tbf), I think having them not often play other characters lends the show a certain idiosyncrasy (and also maintains the 'lifestyle show' conceit a little better). It gives you more obscure character actors and comedians to watch out for in other stuff, mirroring the kind of nerdiness Stew and Rich have themselves about stuff. I wouldn't want FoF to feel more like The Fast Show, myself. I guess these are the kind of revisionist thoughts that a lot of creators have about their earlier stuff but only a handful have the millions to make CG-assisted reality...

lauraxsynthesis

Stew says he's not a good actor but that Rich is good, which is often true.

Stinky Lomax

Yeah, I think Stew can be effective within a very limited range (and after he's had a drink or two, apparently) but can't really act, whereas Rich can be counted on for longer stretches in slightly more varied roles. But neither of them is as good as anyone else in the troupe and I think it's a lot safer to give Rich one stand-out character like Peter Dibdin than have him play a major role in every sketch (I wouldn't want to see him as the conspiracy theorist or club manager in the York City sketch, and then the trainspotter in the Quinlank sketch, for instance - I think his repertoire would run dry pretty quickly - and especially not with Stew taking a role as well). Having such a great line-up of character actors probably papers over the cracks of their weaker sketches, to be honest - that milkman of the apocalypse sketch, for example, is pretty weak and Rich can't rescue it but perhaps Eldon could have.
(I even find Rich playing one of the footballers a little distracting, though this is an esoteric structural thing rather than to do with the quality of performance.)
For my money, they both work best playing 'themselves' or slight adjustments of them, which is why the bible story/parable sketches work so well, like a Carry On style adapting of established personas to various settings.

lauraxsynthesis

I might make some badges to add to the CaB merch. Any preferences from this lot or other Eldon! Rod Hull suggestions?

Senior Baiano

Quote from: lauraxsynthesis on July 12, 2024, 10:29:31 PM

Abbey Road's the better album, but that's certainly an iconic cover

madhair60

lauraxsynthesis

Well, The Boy Who Cried Wolf is the Stewart Lee we all know innit - interminable, repetitious, seemingly not aiming to be funny. It doesn't work in sketch form, though. Stew says in the commentary that it was originally a stand up bit that he doesn't have a recording of. I recognised the Weald & Downland Living Museum.

Rich makes Stew laugh so much. I wish he'd been nicer to Rich in recent years.

No Rod Hull ffs disappointing. Could have done without the 10th Beatle bit.

They're clearly pissed off about The Fast Show's success, but the appreciation for moon on a stick is surely the result of the audience being trained by TFS to be mad for a catch phrase.

I liked the call back to the kitten in series 1.

Stinky Lomax

I assume you're talking episode 4, Laura! Here's the vid, am gonna watch it now:

Stinky Lomax

Oh, I think you might have skipped forward to episode 5, Laura!

Episode 4 is pretty good - Peter's section is incredible and Quinlank's is good as well although I suppose one could argue it's a little gimmicky. Good to see Dibdin again, although some of it feels a little repetitious of the first sketch there's some fun stuff in there. And the arrival of the teachers, who feel fully-formed immediately. Features not only Daniel Mays but also Kelly Brook! The details of the two teachers are absolutely spot on to at least a couple I had at school, down to crowbarring 'casually dropped' Wayne's World quotes into their lectures. Rod Hull doesn't have much to do but it is fun to see him interact with the audience.
I think this is the first S2 episode that I would call just fine rather than strong, even though it has some high points.

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on July 08, 2024, 12:02:06 AMAm I right in remembering his name is Patrick Nuffield as that would be top level useless information retention

Patrick Nuffy. Close!

dissolute ocelot

S2 E4 seemed the only one where the sketches were funnier than the in-studio stuff (I include Quinlank as a sketch). There was some mildly-amusing running around in the studio this week. I wondered if the bit of L&H on their thrones chatting about teachers had been cut down from a longer thing.

Shaxberd

Didn't feel that bringing back Peter Dibdin was worth it, but enjoyed the payoff of the teachers sketch. An uncharacteristic touch of sweetness in Herring's teacher being so moved by the shit drawing of George Eliot.

Eldon has been consistently the best thing in Fist of Fun and I thought he was great this episode. Even though this week's Rod Hull appearance wasn't much, having him running around shrieking IT COULD BE YOUUUUU and waving his rubber hand at the audience really tickled me. (As well as being a nostalgic reminder of the days when the National Lottery was a big deal.) Quinlank sketch had some good quotes as well, I particularly enjoyed 'I am a hobby lion' and his declaration of 'that is a good socket'.

Peter's section was, I think, my favourite Peter bit of the series so far and, given we're on episode 4, a good contender for Peak Peter. I liked the detail of his walker not being a proper zimmer frame but what looks like some part of a display unit that was presumably lying around the props room. I continue to find John Menzies the rat adorable, and Peter's rendition of the lamba-dah was mesmerising. Very strong physical resemblance to Gollum, if Andy Serkis hadn't been available for the LOTR films I think he'd have done quite a good job of it, no CGI needed.

dissolute ocelot

I wasn't sure about Peter's lambada. I guess it was slightly hypnotic, but it did go on unnecessarily long.

Mobbd

Hark at them pretending to have a conversation as they come into the studio, like newsreaders at the end of the news.

The Dibden sketch is a masterpiece. Everything about it is absolutely brilliant. The Herring-brand pointless mnemonics, his performance, the toilet, the flush!, all the money liying around, the wank gag re: the driving gloves, "the non-driving idiots," the slow Scalextric. Best sketch they've done so far imo, including the original Dibdin.

Rod's chin and face, all wet with backstage jelly.

I enjoyed the audience sensing that Stew had gone a bit too far with the Bristol Zoo chimps comparison to Somerset children. They came back for Rich's "trying pigs for heresy" line.

The Black girl in the teachers sketch saying "Mr Haaris" in reference to Rolaand in Grange Hill.

The Quinlank is memorably bananas. Do we think "that is a good socket" was Eldon-improvised?

Some of the studio audience in Quinlank's studio invasion are so young that they probably see Rich and Stew precisely as Mr Harris and Mr Kennedy.

Strong ep.

Thrones.

jamiefairlie

Quinlank's "lied with my mouth" is exactly the kind of wordplay I adore.

non capisco

The entirety of the Peter section climaxing in the Lamba-DA was amazing. I'd forgotten all about that. Eldon fantastic as ever, Rod Hull is irresistibly funny to me whatever he's up to and Quinlank's manic approval of some wall socket or whatever it was..sublime.

Really liked the teachers sketch too and the poignancy of the ending with the 'George Eliot' drawing. Daniel Mays' reaction to Mr. Kennedy saying "fuck" proving that he had acting talent from the off. Series 2 is way better than 1, what are you on about Stew?

I'm guessing this was the one that's had the Morris Mitchener stuff excised towards the start as Rich referred back to it. Haven't managed to find the full episode on YouTube so I'm guessing any uploads are from the Go Faster Stripe DVD.

Mobbd

Quote from: non capisco on July 14, 2024, 07:43:04 PMI'm guessing this was the one that's had the Morris Mitchener stuff excised towards the start as Rich referred back to it. Haven't managed to find the full episode on YouTube so I'm guessing any uploads are from the Go Faster Stripe DVD.

Well spotted, that must be right.

madhair60

QuoteFist of Fun - Series 2, Show 4
Recorded at BBC TVC, Thursday, 7 March 1996
Broadcast BBC2, Friday, 8 March 1996

RICHARD
   So, whatever happens, Pete, carry on, alright?

PETER
   Carry on fucking it up, hah...

Before the audience arrive, the duo record their one and only attempt at relaunching The Gall-ery. Intended for Show 6 but, due to time constraints, never even shown to the audience.

A few technical problems plague the start of the main session, but amazingly only one play-in of the titles occurs this week! The full messy performance of the Morris Mitchener routine is both a thrill to watch and yet another testament to Sarah Smith's editing skills.

As mentioned, Double-Act Differences is reperformed for this session, with a fresh intro about Smoking. This will once again be dropped from the edit, but the recorded take will be set aside for future use.

The payoff to Show 1's Illegal Lottery here includes a great unbroadcast section in which Stewart visits the Royal Opera House, Mark Thomas-style, to try and hand Pavarotti his share of the winnings in person. Also cut was an extra bit which served as a studio link to Goldilocks and the Three Men. Finally, after all these years, it can be seen here in full.

Peter's grand entrance is postponed as John Menzies once again decides to pee down his shirt - much to Richard's utter delight. "Hey, come on, it's very nerve-wracking up here, okay?" he insists. Luckily, Peter's usual nervy performance doesn't extend to his dancing skills and the Lambada routine requires just one technical retake (no doubt impressing Baynham snr. sitting in the audience who, as Richard giggles, "must be very proud!"). 

Flying in the face of any BBC worries over Fist of Fun being too 'youth-oriented,' the duo had actually plugged Series 2 on Childrens BBC (Sunday, 11 February 1996), idly mentioning - prior to a repeat of classic Grange Hill - that the show would feature an homage to Janet "Ro-land" St Clair. Impressionable children who duly tuned in to see the Two Very Different Teachers sketch would be protected from Mr Kennedy's use of the word "fuck" by a BBC bleep. Now they're all grown up they can enjoy it uncensored in the rushes sequence here.

Other VT items this week include another play−in of the Hollywood Producers discussing Trainspotting (which will be slotted into the edit of Show 6) and the return of the Driving Instructor. Meanwhile, not on VT for once (although they initially pretend otherwise) is Simon Quinlank who invades the studio for several takes of his autograph-ripping hobby.

With studio time fast running out, an attempt to pre-record a lengthy section of the following week's show gets curtailed slightly. A planned first half - featuring serial-killer expert Samantha McWee - is dropped, but the second half, an interview with two self−proclaimed Natural Born Killers, Veronica and William Ankmore (Ronni Ancona and Bill Cashmore) is captured nicely - and features what was intended as Show 5's gratuitous use of the phrase "Moon on a stick."

Sadly, none of this footage will ever be broadcast, as events in Dunblane the following week would render flippant gags about serial killers somewhat less than appropriate.

Magnum Valentino

Sorry for the delay I was at the pictures

Commentary

Studio tape