Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 18, 2024, 08:58:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Achewood appreciation thread

Started by madhair60, May 23, 2024, 02:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

just had this one pop up on my Facebook memories and wanted to share it because every single panel makes me giggle

I think of the last panel of this one often

Pink Gregory

"A turd with a bullet in it ain't exactly the five o clock news"

Pink Gregory

Every time I re-read the whole thing - usually on the toilet - I come away with a whole new set of earworm quotes that ring around the old noggin.

"Mom-mom had to die because of the ground chemicals"

"Forget what you know about craveless nori"

"Scared, but important!"

The Mollusk

Quote from: Pink Gregory on May 23, 2024, 03:45:23 PMEvery time I re-read the whole thing - usually on the toilet - I come away with a whole new set of earworm quotes that ring around the old noggin.

Can't remember where I got this link originally - maybe on this very forum? Achewood: The Complete Comic Strip

He has a completed novel he's currently shopping around to literary agents, according to his Patreon.

The Mollusk

frajer

Ooh I'm going to enjoy this thread a lot. I discovered Achewood when I was at uni in the early 2000s (it was linked to by John Allison on Scary-go-round, which a friend had turned me onto) and absolutely bloody devoured it. The character work and the use of language really captured me and I still think it's sublime.

So much good stuff but "The concept of the variable / can take it in the dumper" often pops into my mind and never fails to crease me up.

As well as the phrasing it's Little Nephew's wincing embarrassment at Ray reading back his lyrics that makes it absolute gold.

13 schoolyards

I am both excited to read this novel and fearful that page after page of his prose without some images to break it up could be too much of a good thing.

I like the blogs and it's obvious that's where his passion lies, but I do sometimes need a break between them whereas I could read the strip for hours no problem

The Mollusk

My love for Achewood is such that I have been paying £5 a month to the Patreon for the reboot despite having forgotten to read any of them after about strip number 5.

Quote from: The Mollusk on May 23, 2024, 04:13:01 PMMy love for Achewood is such that I have been paying £5 a month to the Patreon for the reboot despite having forgotten to read any of them after about strip number 5.

get in!

Pink Gregory

the new stuff is very much of the wordier later strips variety, but it's still so much Onstad's voice.  It's a shame that he never updated the 'jump to arc' list on the website to include the Teodor/Penny series, like the Phillipe, Enterepeneur? arc it would have served as a neat way to end an era of the comic.

Bentpitch

I ordered a "Here Comes a Special Boy" Philippe t-shirt that never arrived but I didn't mind all that much in the end because I love Achewood.

The Mollusk

Whenever I get spam phone calls - which is too fucking often - the name Leon Sumbitches comes in to my head and makes me laugh and I forgive the spammers of all wrongdoing.

Catalogue Trousers

The Bumlord

I'm going to be that person who says I don't get it.

Here we go:

I don't get it

madhair60

Quote from: The Bumlord on May 23, 2024, 11:11:06 PMI'm going to be that person who says I don't get it.

Here we go:

I don't get it

don't care go away

Mister Six

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on May 23, 2024, 08:25:19 PM

I just did that spitting-laughter thing on the train home and a lady gave me a bad look.

Achewood is the best comic strip ever. Better even than Calvin & Hobbes. I'd put the ending to the Cartilage Head story on here, but you need the several strips of build-up.

The best storyline, of course, was Todd having a magical realist North Korean adventure.

Mister Six

Decided to read it from the beginning. It's amusing from the off, in that familiar 2000s webcomic beats way, but this was the first one to get a proper laugh out of me (from November 9, 2001):

Mister Six

DAMMIT, I got to February 2002 before remembering that each strip has some alt-text with more jokes or behind the scenes stuff.

Achewood is one of my very favourite things in the whole world.

Ornlu

Are most of these crazy characters supposed to be talking in AAVE?

frajer

Quote from: Bentpitch on May 23, 2024, 05:04:13 PMI ordered a "Here Comes a Special Boy" Philippe t-shirt that never arrived but I didn't mind all that much in the end because I love Achewood.

During my uni years when I was whippet-thin I ordered the lovely brown ringer-tee with Here Comes a Special Boy emblazoned on the front. Absolutely great shirt and made me smile every time I wore it.

20 years on I'm now far too fat to fit in it. I wish I had the cojones of Todd to rock being fat, but I really should get my arse in gear and exercise. Maybe fitting back inside Philippe will be my goal.

madhair60

Quote from: Bentpitch on May 23, 2024, 05:04:13 PMI ordered a "Here Comes a Special Boy" Philippe t-shirt that never arrived but I didn't mind all that much in the end because I love Achewood.

I've got one that doesn't fit me, so I've never worn it. You can have it if you want.

Bentpitch

Quote from: madhair60 on May 24, 2024, 01:19:55 PMI've got one that doesn't fit me, so I've never worn it. You can have it if you want.

Thanks, I'm quite fat though

madhair60

me too, that's why it doesn't fit :(

Pink Gregory

I, too, have an Achewood shirt that I am now too fat for.  To be fair I went through a brief period in which I was a medium.

Mister Six

Quote from: Ornlu on May 24, 2024, 11:55:12 AMAre most of these crazy characters supposed to be talking in AAVE?

Ray (the cat with the glasses that have the thick black... arms? The bits that go over your ears if you're a human) and Roast Beef (the tall cat who talks like this all the dang time) are supposed to be Latino.

I think the other characters just dip into it here and there, as was the fashion at the time.

The Mollusk

Quote from: The Bumlord on May 23, 2024, 11:11:06 PMI'm going to be that person who says I don't get it.

Here we go:

I don't get it

To be fair you have to have a very high IQ these strips only work well out of context if you know the idiosyncrasies of the characters from having read it from the start.

Achewood doesn't follow the conventional comic strip format of always having a punchline in the last panel, and even when it does it's usually very dry. It also relies on sort of not really establishing any of the characters in an obvious way, which is a testament to Onstad's writing talent in that you can get a good feel for them based on very little information early on.

Even though the early strips are loose and a lot less realised it does help to start from the beginning just to ease into the way Onstad approaches the comic format. Once the characters develop around that the offbeat humour really soars with them, so that strips like the one I posted above about Dennis Quaid memorabilia which seem dry and empty become very funny just from understanding the characters. If you take to it then hopefully you'll end up falling in love with it and having little bits pop I to your head in idle moments like the rest of us.

Tags: