Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 17, 2024, 11:59:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Achewood appreciation thread

Started by madhair60, May 23, 2024, 02:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sevendaughters

I've been blasting through the late original run (2011-2016) and have creased a few times ("PCP: the coat you wear from the inside", "someone's crapping out a land salmon in there") though the pedal note of general misanthropy / doom looms large (Teodor/Penny).

copa

Completely new to me.
I've not seen or heard anything about it before.
Think it's great. Not figured out exactly who everyone is yet but particularly love Todd razzing around in his tiny van.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: The Mollusk on May 26, 2024, 10:21:43 AM

Fucking "Graemlin" absolutely killed me there. Couple good chuckles in this thread, good shit

Pink Gregory

I AM THE DEATH SOUND

AND I HAVE CUT MY BODY

Quote from: Hobo With A Shit Pun on May 26, 2024, 12:50:37 PMMore importantly, what's his wife's?

(When Ultra Peanut,  the Chinese otter,learns English she speaks in a very stereotypical bloken engrish way. The alternate text for that strip is "My wife's Chinese. She wrote this." Dunno if that's a joke with any basis in reality.)

That has reminded me how much I love the final panel of this one. Any time Phillipe's innocence is crushed is gold, basically.

This one as well, the lowering of expectations versus reality is just so funny.

frajer

Was thinking about this being one of my low-key favourites the other day.

Ray's repeated use of "Nonsense!" culminating in the final panels of him being silently glared at make me nearly delirious with happiness.

Achewood is such a joyous thing.

Last panel of this one got a huge laugh from me the other day

QDRPHNC

Scoops

one of the best things to ever be on the internet, i reckon. so many little understated phrases that have stuck with me for years. beef thinking to himself "it's like we walk around with dynamite in our mouths" when he's contemplating proposing to molly. "our every move is the new tradition" after the great outdoor fight. beautiful.

is anyone here on onstad's patreon? i'm curious to know if he's got the knack of the individual character voices back, the last bit of the comic seemed to have got a bit blurred with everyone sharing the same kind of voice and speaking in pretty boilerplate achewood-isms. i'm sure i'll throw him a bone and subscribe to it myself eventually, just as a gesture of goodwill for the years of excellent comics.

madhair60

i had to stop it cos of money issues but i thought it was as good as ever. I'll go back on eventually.

madhair60

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Scoops on June 28, 2024, 03:49:27 PMone of the best things to ever be on the internet, i reckon. so many little understated phrases that have stuck with me for years. beef thinking to himself "it's like we walk around with dynamite in our mouths" when he's contemplating proposing to molly. "our every move is the new tradition" after the great outdoor fight. beautiful.

is anyone here on onstad's patreon? i'm curious to know if he's got the knack of the individual character voices back, the last bit of the comic seemed to have got a bit blurred with everyone sharing the same kind of voice and speaking in pretty boilerplate achewood-isms. i'm sure i'll throw him a bone and subscribe to it myself eventually, just as a gesture of goodwill for the years of excellent comics.

The stuff he's doing now is very late period Achewood, very wordy and more like the blogs in a way I suppose?  Still good but he's not quite got the same spark as in the mid 2000's, as anyone would not have retained it.

idunnosomename

Quote from: extraordinary walnuts on June 28, 2024, 03:42:55 PMLast panel of this one got a huge laugh from me the other day

lol hes dead now. Makes you feel old

Tags: