Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 18, 2024, 08:28:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Dropout (CollegeHumor)

Started by Wezzo, June 13, 2024, 12:52:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wezzo

Dropout is what used to be known as CollegeHumor. Nowadays it's independent and has shed the CH branding, and exists as a standalone subscription streaming service focused on various forms of unscripted and improv comedy (as well as some D&D/tabletop RPG stuff). Not sure what kind of reputation the CollegeHumor of old has around these parts, they used to create a lot of short-form comedy skits and sketches in the nascent days of internet video, but what Dropout has become is a lot more exciting/fun to me.

They have a few dozen series on the service, but a couple of highlights:
  • Game Changer - this is the first Dropout show I heard about; it's a comedy game show where the game is different every show, and the participants don't know what the game will be. There are a couple of episodes available to watch for free on YouTube - for example, their take on Simon Says, or a lie detector show. Recent episodes have got more and more out there, with multi-part episodes, layers of meta-referencing, and fun experiments with the form. But fundamentally it's something like Whose Line meets Taskmaster meets primetime ITV, but with filthier language. Hosted by Sam Reich, who is the CEO of Dropout
  • Breaking News - participants have to read dumb/funny "breaking news" from a teleprompter, and not corpse - these are short five-to-ten-minute things, and there are a few on YouTube
  • Total Forgiveness - a show in which two Dropout regulars set each other bets on what they will or won't do, to win cash to pay off their student loans - starts as something stupid and ends up a treatise on the dangers of capitalism, like some kind of bastard child of Impractical Jokers and Nathan Fielder

They have a repertoire of around 30 comedians who participate in their shows (with occasional outside guests) which adds to the fun, hangout vibe, as you get to know the contestants/participants across multiple shows. Anyway, interested in finding out if any other CaBers are fans, and I figure fans of panel shows/comedy game shows/improv might find some stuff to enjoy on there.

Magnum Valentino

I don't follow any of it regularly but have noticed I'll watch every Vic Michaelis "short" that YouTube throws at me, so consider me a fan.

Poobum

Been binging their stuff. Rewatched the Wenis Dance so many times. Um Actually is good fun even though I'm clueless about most of the stuff they go on about. Also Vic Michaelis is awesome.

MrMealDeal

Play It By Ear is pretty amazing and I don't even like musicals. Jess and Zach were in Europe for a tour a few weeks ago and played a couple of gigs in London.

Famous Mortimer

I got a subscription after I watched everything they have available on Youtube. Game Changer / Make Some Noise are incredibly good, most of the time (there are a few dud episodes where the concept doesn't quite work) but Breaking News is my favourite. A simple and stupid and brilliant concept. "Dirty Laundry" is another great show.

I was put off College Humor when they were a mostly sketch-based team because the sketches were usually a bit weak. You tended to get the gist in the first 30 seconds (although I did like their Purge series). Just reading a little about their transition to their current model, it looks like they realised that scripted stuff wasn't their strong suit either.

But. If Brennan Lee Mulligan is genuinely that quick on his feet, he's an amazing talent and would be an excellent left-field candidate for a future Taskmaster series. Vic Michaelis and Zac Oyama are both hilarious too...it's a really good crew.


Wezzo

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on June 13, 2024, 02:12:10 PMBut. If Brennan Lee Mulligan is genuinely that quick on his feet, he's an amazing talent and would be an excellent left-field candidate for a future Taskmaster series. Vic Michaelis and Zac Oyama are both hilarious too...it's a really good crew.

Sam and Elaine met up with Alex Horne recently. I do wonder if Dropout might be the platform where a US version of Taskmaster could thrive.

chutnut

I really liked Kingpin Katie and Paranoia, haven't been a massive fan of anything else I've checked out yet tbh

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Wezzo on June 13, 2024, 02:14:57 PMSam and Elaine met up with Alex Horne recently. I do wonder if Dropout might be the platform where a US version of Taskmaster could thrive.
Given the approximate similarity in ages and experience of the regular Dropout crew, I'd assume they'd have to bring in an outside host and possibly one or two outside contestants. But if it's just "do you want to send a person to the UK version for the next couple of series", that could be great.

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on June 13, 2024, 02:12:10 PMI was put off College Humor when they were a mostly sketch-based team because the sketches were usually a bit weak. You tended to get the gist in the first 30 seconds (although I did like their Purge series). Just reading a little about their transition to their current model, it looks like they realised that scripted stuff wasn't their strong suit either.

But. If Brennan Lee Mulligan is genuinely that quick on his feet, he's an amazing talent and would be an excellent left-field candidate for a future Taskmaster series. Vic Michaelis and Zac Oyama are both hilarious too...it's a really good crew.


Yet funnily enough, it's pretty much universally agreed on that the series of sketches where Brennan pretends to be the CEO of various different companies going through different controversies is easily their strongest work. It's literally the exact same formula every single time with the name and a few words changed but it's such a brilliant formula that it actually works. Hiring that man is truly the best thing they ever did.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Buttered Ghost on June 13, 2024, 03:34:15 PMYet funnily enough, it's pretty much universally agreed on that the series of sketches where Brennan pretends to be the CEO of various different companies going through different controversies is easily their strongest work. It's literally the exact same formula every single time with the name and a few words changed but it's such a brilliant formula that it actually works. Hiring that man is truly the best thing they ever did.
Never seen those, but agreed, they're great.

g0m

looking forward to next monday [ratfish part 2]

BritishHobo

#11
I love them so much, everything they do. Vic's Very Important People has been a joy, particularly Ally's episode and Zac's episode. I can't get out of my head the image of
Spoiler alert
Tommy Shrigley leaning forward on his chair like a little kid, and the stupid double-punch of "That was the darkest moment of my life - that's... as dark as it gets", segueing into his stupid little song. C'mon everybody, come on give me little clap
[close]
I like Vic's commitment to going along with whatever her guest pushes. Yes and.

The new series of Gamechanger has been excellent, really ramping things up and pushing themselves every episode. Bingo and Find The Buzzer have been my highlights so far, I love very much when the show just deliberately drives the contestants crazy.

Now I'm all caught up on the newest stuff, I've begun cracking on with Dimension 20, which I just love. It's taken me a long old time to get through the first season of Fantasy High, as I do find the combat episodes quite heavy going. But I think as improv comedians they all really bring their A-game when it comes to developing their characters, and it feels very rewarding. I'm nearly done with Escape from the Bloodkeep which is so much fun. Every little twist on Lord of the Rings is so funny to catch, and Brennan's interplay with everyone is such a joy.

g0m

Gotta say... in the gamechanger season finale
Spoiler alert
I felt kind of cheated that we didn't get the cast's reaction to the ratfish reveal
[close]

Two Headed Sex Beast

Quote from: BritishHobo on June 13, 2024, 06:39:32 PMNow I'm all caught up on the newest stuff, I've begun cracking on with Dimension 20, which I just love. It's taken me a long old time to get through the first season of Fantasy High, as I do find the combat episodes quite heavy going. But I think as improv comedians they all really bring their A-game when it comes to developing their characters, and it feels very rewarding. I'm nearly done with Escape from the Bloodkeep which is so much fun. Every little twist on Lord of the Rings is so funny to catch, and Brennan's interplay with everyone is such a joy.

Have you tried Not Another D&D Podcast? Murph and Emily from D20 with other College Humor folk, Caldwell Tanner and Jake from the Jake and Amir sketches. It's very comedy focused, and consistently my favourite thing from the past few years. Some D20 folk guest on it too, they've had  Brennan, Zac, Ally and others on at different times. I bloody love it.

BritishHobo

Quote from: g0m on June 18, 2024, 01:14:08 AMGotta say... in the gamechanger season finale
Spoiler alert
I felt kind of cheated that we didn't get the cast's reaction to the ratfish reveal
[close]

Yeah, that was very odd.
Spoiler alert
Quite a strange ending, since that was part of the core concept. Sam's hurried explanation feeling very tacked on. Also there was a funny awkwardness around his "gift" getting a flat "this is crap" response from everyone. Nobody really engaged with him that much, or at least they didn't show it if people did.
[close]

As a big fan of
Spoiler alert
The Circle it didn't work so well for me. I think it's just a bit less fun seeing everyone separated on this show. Once they were all close with their guesses, the novelty wore off so it was just them dicking around on a Discord chat. I also found it weird how you saw very few reactions from Brennan to anything Brennan was saying. It was like they thought that would make for a classic Brennan Rant but he didn't give them the reactions they hoped for. It seemed a very muted annoyance in the few bits we did see.
[close]

For a finale it felt like an idea that just didn't pan out the way they'd hoped.

g0m

don't get me wrong, i still enjoyed the episode, it just felt like an odd omission

BritishHobo

Oh yeah, same. It's nice to see the stupid and demented way they all approach making a catfish character. graNma sWeetie was the standout

g0m

Spoiler alert
part of katie's prize should've been them bringing back the rank room
[close]

Magnum Valentino

Just remembered this, which I think was actually posted in the Last Thing That Made You Cry With Laughter thread (RIP sticky 😭)


BritishHobo

Quote from: Two Headed Sex Beast on June 18, 2024, 06:03:47 AMHave you tried Not Another D&D Podcast? Murph and Emily from D20 with other College Humor folk, Caldwell Tanner and Jake from the Jake and Amir sketches. It's very comedy focused, and consistently my favourite thing from the past few years. Some D20 folk guest on it too, they've had  Brennan, Zac, Ally and others on at different times. I bloody love it.

I will have to give it a go, as I've really hit the ground running with Dimension 20 now, after taking a very long time to get through Fantasy High season one. I still struggle with the combat episodes a little (albeit less so since I've started listening to them while I'm out and about), but the character work is just so good. I'm deep into Fantasy High season two now, and I think it is great that in this very carefully-constructed world full of delightful fantasy detail, the best stuff is
Spoiler alert
silly Zac Oyama having increasingly chilly and painful phone calls with his long-distance girlfriend.
[close]
Just incredible.

I didn't actually realise Emily and Murph are married until the lovely moment during a fight where she in-character asks somebody to save his character - "He's my husband in real life!"

Famous Mortimer

I've been watching "Game Changer" from the beginning and am in the COVID season. I just like how most of the episodes are excuses for Sam to give the cast stuff - coffee machines, electric bikes, an occasional weekend away.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

I quite enjoy some of the cast on Game Changer but I genuinely cannot stand the way the host immediately starts performatively giggling the second someone starts to improvise.

Tags: