Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 17, 2024, 11:17:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Favourite Stewart Lee Moments / Gags/ Quips

Started by markburgle, June 17, 2024, 08:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lazyhour

Any time he does a little high-pitched mocking laugh or similar sound imitating someone else talking to him. I know it's just him filling in Richard Herring's role, but it cracks me up every time.

Also, as mentioned, "what you having a go at Russell Howard for mate?"

Proactive

I know he's such an obvious go-to for favourite comedian but he really is the fuckin don.

Cold Meat Platter

Fucking love the 'wtf?' screwed-up face he does.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Proactive on June 18, 2024, 08:30:51 PMParaphrasing here but the bit in the Whicker Del sketch where Paul Putner's character says of the event "there's no harm in it" to which Stu replies "I didn't say there was any harm in it. "

Then Putner replies with a terse "Good. Because there isn't". It's great.

markburgle

When the BBC told him he couldn't refer to a certain Tory MP as "a piece of shit" because it would be "defecation of character"

Ferris

Lee, what's satire?

"It's when there's animals, sir."

Good, go directly to Oxford.

Dr Rock

Captain Z

The 'visible otters' phonecall

Who else, apart from the IRA, makes you proud to be British?

Now. That story about David Cameron is not true.

Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: madhair60 on June 18, 2024, 04:40:26 PMshit-haired cunt who resides at the very apex of all that is absolute patience-testing wank

'"Fucking hell", he concludes, "I can't put into words..."' and then the pause and look at the audience is utterly perfect. I can never quite work out if knowing that it was [redacted] who posted that comment, that it's genuine and that he'd have absolutely hated it being made into part of Lee's show makes it better, but I think it does.

Not sure if this one counts as Lee doesn't perform in it, but the apple shop sketch in series 1 of Comedy Vehicle.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Now it wasn't just racists who voted for Brexit.

Cunts did as well.

and the callback to that joke at the start of the second half

absolutely love the apple shop sketch, especially the way it breaks down when the trombone player comes in and Putner starts destroying the set in desperation while Eldon taunts him with apples

let's all enjoy it now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yQP3frvrA0

Harry Badger

As someone who is forced to work with young people, I often question their tastes in popular culture but soften the blow by conceding that Taylor Swift (or whoever) "isn't aimed at me".

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on June 18, 2024, 10:54:14 PMNow it wasn't just racists who voted for Brexit.

Cunts did as well.

and the callback to that joke at the start of the second half

absolutely love the apple shop sketch, especially the way it breaks down when the trombone player comes in and Putner starts destroying the set in desperation while Eldon taunts him with apples

let's all enjoy it now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yQP3frvrA0

I love how Putner is channeling his inner Peter Glaze there.

Is that Mel and/or Sue off of that Mel and Sue there?

jamiefairlie

Quote from: lazyhour on June 18, 2024, 09:30:53 PMAny time he does a little high-pitched mocking laugh or similar sound imitating someone else talking to him. I know it's just him filling in Richard Herring's role, but it cracks me up every time.

Also, as mentioned, "what you having a go at Russell Howard for mate?"

Aye especially when it's his Brummie Nan being racist or whatever.

Sonny_Jim

Quote from: Senior Baiano on June 18, 2024, 03:08:45 PM"They're all (rude sounding thing) by the time I've finished with 'em" 😂

Isn't that Herrings joke?  Or did it originate from the pair of them.

binster

I don't know anything about zoology, biology, geology, geography, marine biology, cryptozoology, evolutionary theory, evolutionary biology, meteorology, limnology, history, herpetology, paleontology or archaeology but I think; what if a dinosaur had got in the lake?

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: jamiefairlie on June 19, 2024, 02:00:21 AMI love how Putner is channeling his inner Peter Glaze there.

Is that Mel and/or Sue off of that Mel and Sue there?

No, her name's Gail Brand. She confirms this in the comments!

Senior Baiano

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on June 19, 2024, 03:21:48 AMIsn't that Herrings joke?  Or did it originate from the pair of them.

I was doing a bit

"A gnat's chuff is literally as tight as a gnat's chuff, Rich." That's what he, Stewart Lee, used to say

ASFTSN

I can't remember or find the exact quote but there's an old written interview where Stew is interviewing himself and I think of it when I walk past the ice creams in a newsagents because of the line that went something like:

Lee crammed the remainder of the Calippo into his mouth before signalling to the waitress for another.

The visual always makes me laugh.

sevendaughters

the Loch Ness bit is my favourite 'joke' of his (emphasis switched between set-up and punchline though) but yeah amazing.

I really liked the bit about Josh Widdecombe hosting The Last Leg.

sevendaughters

I sometimes find his descent into Phil Minton-esque vocal gobbledeygook brilliant and sometimes not. I think the Gervais 'saying the unsayable' wasn't half as good as the posh comedians saying "maaaate".

Sebastian Cobb

Can't help but think of 'Peter Stringfellow's Lord of the Rings' whenever GoT is mentioned.

g0m

Begins thus: "Welcome, reader, to the first page of text", and you might look at that and think, "that's funny, and clever", but it isn't

Cuellar

I like in the Chris Moyles book bit where he's acting out the portion of Moyles's friends who don't ask him what the book is about, where he turns round and half-heartedly pokes and prods the light fitting.

mr. logic

Quote from: Dr Rock on June 18, 2024, 10:29:42 PM'I'd know it was you'

I remember this delivery exactly, and I remember he was doing his side of a phone call? Can you give me the context please?

dissolute ocelot

The way he says "on the wall of a broch", and indeed the whole William Wallace was gay routine.

Dr Rock

Quote from: mr. logic on June 19, 2024, 04:09:44 PMI remember this delivery exactly, and I remember he was doing his side of a phone call? Can you give me the context please?

Shiilbottle

Ooh from memory because it's not on youtube and I've lost my copy...pretending to be managing a crap stone quarry, has imaginary phone conversation with potential buyer, but Lee won't sell more than a ton, no way, end of. Then there's a long pause as if Lee is listening to the man, he rolls his eyes etc and we the audience consider that the man could get round this by placing orders under different guises. Then the quoted punchline, to something that was never said.

I hate Stewart Lee with a passion, he's like Ian Huntley to me.

Tags: