Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 18, 2024, 10:06:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"Douglas is cancelled" is cancelled

Started by mjwilson, June 22, 2024, 07:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjwilson

New Steven Moffat thing is starting this week and is already getting a kicking in The Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/article/2024/jun/22/douglas-is-cancelled-hugh-bonnevilles-culture-war-show-is-skin-crawling

I don't know whether this is one of the Guardian commentators where you have to assume they're wrong about everything though, slightly intolerable introduction where they take forever to get to the point.

(I did enjoy the crack about Hugh Bonneville "doing that character he always does" though.)

The Lurker

Joel Golby is a good egg.

The show looks shit and unbearable though. ITV are promoting it non stop - I know you can't tell much from a trailer but it doesn't seem to be much a storyline "newsreader says something sexist, people call him out online," yeah and what?

Britain's smuggest and smarmiest writer responds to criticism of his facile and one dimensional portrayals of women with a drama about a middle aged man being cancelled by intolerant and overzealous young people. Five stars

Pink Gregory

this already sounds a year or two out of date

are there any images involved of the titular Douglas with tape on his mouth?

Midas


Snrub

I was interested in watching this, until I saw a clip of Moffat being interviewed this week saying he was cancelled every week when he ran Doctor Who - yeah probably a joke but just sapped all enthusiasm I had for this

trabuch

I don't think this is going to be funny

McDead

Strongest possible pass on this, for all the reasons listed above.


neveragain

I always dislike Moffat's writing as much as I enjoy it (finding it watchable despite being annoying) but I fear this will tip the balance.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: neveragain on June 23, 2024, 01:35:13 AMI always dislike Moffat's writing as much as I enjoy it (finding it watchable despite being annoying) but I fear this will tip the balance.

Extremely apt username

McDead

Quote from: neveragain on June 23, 2024, 01:35:13 AMI always dislike Moffat's writing as much as I enjoy it (finding it watchable despite being annoying) but I fear this will tip the balance.

This is my situation. I think technically he's superb, a fine writer of genre television, but he has too many irritating tics that I just can't see around, and his work is altogether too pleased with itself.

Thosworth

Quote from: mjwilson on June 22, 2024, 07:16:46 PMI don't know whether this is one of the Guardian commentators where you have to assume they're wrong about everything

Worked with Joel a while back and at the time he was, as I believe is the parlance around these parts, a GBOL

mr. logic

His book club podcast is really good.

dontpaintyourteeth


Shaxberd

Is this meant to be a comedy? I saw a trailer and thought "oh, good cast but not interested in the premise", but zero laughs.

Review doesn't surprise me though. Everything about the presentation already made it clear that this is a story for people who think that "being cancelled" is something they need to worry about, and that this is a specific new social phenomenon entirely separate from things like, say, Angus Deayton being fired for taking coke or The Sun destroying Huw Edwards' career over a consensual relationship with a younger man.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: The Lurker on June 22, 2024, 08:04:19 PMJoel Golby is a good egg.

The show looks shit and unbearable though. ITV are promoting it non stop - I know you can't tell much from a trailer but it doesn't seem to be much a storyline "newsreader says something sexist, people call him out online," yeah and what?

I've seen this and I was dubious at first, as it seems to be exactly as you described, but there's a lot more to it than that.

I should also add that the first two episodes are often quite irritating, so I wouldn't blame anyone for giving up on it.

dontpaintyourteeth

please, someone made a misogynistic joke and got cancelled

ThaBiggPaybacc

Quote from: McDead on June 23, 2024, 01:46:15 AMThis is my situation. I think technically he's superb, a fine writer of genre television, but he has too many irritating tics that I just can't see around, and his work is altogether too pleased with itself.

Moffat very clearly hit his apex as a writer doing the second, spookier two-parter of the season in Doctor Who. Bitter experience has shown he should be kept very firmly in that box, and should never, ever be made showrunner of anything.

superthunderstingcar

The trouble with the premise is that Steven Moffat didn't get cancelled enough.

Adam Buxton is definitely watching this.


neveragain

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on June 23, 2024, 11:26:12 AMI've seen this and I was dubious at first, as it seems to be exactly as you described, but there's a lot more to it than that.

I should also add that the first two episodes are often quite irritating, so I wouldn't blame anyone for giving up on it.

Well, I'll give it a go if it's got your recommendation, Ballard.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: neveragain on June 23, 2024, 01:06:33 PMWell, I'll give it a go if it's got your recommendation, Ballard.

It's not great by any means, but it's worth a look.

thr0b

Quote from: Shaxberd on June 23, 2024, 11:19:37 AMIs this meant to be a comedy? I saw a trailer and thought "oh, good cast but not interested in the premise", but zero laughs.

Review doesn't surprise me though. Everything about the presentation already made it clear that this is a story for people who think that "being cancelled" is something they need to worry about, and that this is a specific new social phenomenon entirely separate from things like, say, Angus Deayton being fired for taking coke or The Sun destroying Huw Edwards' career over a consensual relationship with a younger man.

Hey, now that's not fair on the Sun. They also got him sectioned.

lazyhour

#25
I was interested to read a Guardian interview with Moffat where he says this was originally written as a stage play five years ago, before Edwards and Schofield. In it he says that being 'cancelled' (ie a public figure suddenly falling from grace) isn't remotely new - it's just got a new name. I find that quite encouraging that he's got his head screwed on more or less straight on the subject.

madhair60


Lipglossed

All these offended middle-aged pasty men come out with 'hard-hitting satire' and it's the TV equivalent of a child's post-vomiting diet of dry toast and diluted orange juice.

bobloblaw

Find it strange how The Morning Show hasn't come up in any discussion of this. Or, more pertinently, HB's own attempts to avoid cancellation by NDA

McDead

Quote from: bobloblaw on June 23, 2024, 05:33:47 PMFind it strange how The Morning Show hasn't come up in any discussion of this. Or, more pertinently, HB's own attempts to avoid cancellation by NDA

Hope there's an episode called SUPER INJUNCTION

Tags: