Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 17, 2024, 10:45:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"Douglas is cancelled" is cancelled

Started by mjwilson, June 22, 2024, 07:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobloblaw

Quote from: superthunderstingcar on June 23, 2024, 11:39:53 AMThe trouble with the premise is that Steven Moffat didn't get cancelled enough.

He's been given 2 pages of the Radio Times to introduce the show, in which he mentions Karen Gillen's legs at least twice.

mippy

I wonder if the [I'm not risking Barry Admin getting a forceful email from m'learned friends here even if we all know what I'm referring to here] is what made him do the show. I mean, it's like cancel culture, innit?

You can't even make a joke these days, or [tickle] a [nice labrador] or see a [beagle employed as an airport sniffer dog] in your own personal life without someone popping up to tell you it isn't on. Just ask Joey Barton, SHAMED for the mere crime of not liking women's football!!!

madhair60

i feel like at this point anyone who wilfully feeds this "cancel culture" shite for any reason is just automatically a cunt

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: madhair60 on June 24, 2024, 01:28:19 PMi feel like at this point anyone who wilfully feeds this "cancel culture" shite for any reason is just automatically a cunt
He's crude, but he's right

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: madhair60 on June 24, 2024, 01:28:19 PMi feel like at this point anyone who wilfully feeds this "cancel culture" shite for any reason is just automatically a cunt

By Jove I think that Madhair's got it!

The Lurker

The thing with having constant news updates in this day and age means there's always some new discourse to discuss and be outraged about. For example Jamie Carragher spat at a 14-year old girl but we all stopped discussing that as literally a week later, Ant McPartlin was arrested for drink driving - now neither of things are rarely mentioned and the two of them are never off the TV. So if this Douglas is Cancelled nonsense is true to life, it should end with everyone forgetting about the sexist joke he made because now some singer has tweeted something racist - and that's not really an entertaining TV show. Unless of course, Douglas doubles down and spends every waking minute being sexist - then that's another story.

mippy

Think that would actually be a really interesting story to tell, but the doubling down element would probably be hard to do convincingly in a way that wouldn't have Ofcom calling.

Also, all the examples of this I can think of (Linehan, Barton, your man from Coast, your man from Dilbert, Laurence Fox, maybe Lee Hurst if you go back a bit) are so very social media based and it's hard to translate that to screen, especially as you'd be expected to write it for an audience that doesn't know what a meme is. Was reading a while ago about how TV and film still haven't really worked out how to do texting properly on-screen yet.

I've tried explaining the Linehan thing to friends who know who he is but don't use social media and it's really difficult, can't imagine how you'd get dialogue and a narrative out of it.

gilbertharding

I'm not going to watch it, but what species of 'cancelled' is it going to be?

Man makes a slightly off-colour joke years ago which was fine at the time but is dug up by someone with an axe to grind and is unjustly cancelled?

Man voices some completely unacceptable views years ago which were NEVER acceptable, which are dug up by someone with an axe to grind and is binned off never to be seen again, to the general amusement of all right-thinking folk?

I presume, because it's a comedy drama starring Huge Bonneville as Man, it'll be the the former (with some sort of exoneration/redemption/reconciliation at the end) - which makes the whole endeavour completely pointless.

frajer

Well he did say that thing in "bear" to Paddington when they first met and Paddington told him it was very rude.

neveragain

Quote from: gilbertharding on June 24, 2024, 05:04:29 PMI'm not going to watch it, but what species of 'cancelled' is it going to be?

Man makes a slightly off-colour joke years ago which was fine at the time but is dug up by someone with an axe to grind and is unjustly cancelled?

Man voices some completely unacceptable views years ago which were NEVER acceptable, which are dug up by someone with an axe to grind and is binned off never to be seen again, to the general amusement of all right-thinking folk?

I presume, because it's a comedy drama starring Huge Bonneville as Man, it'll be the the former (with some sort of exoneration/redemption/reconciliation at the end) - which makes the whole endeavour completely pointless.

That's already answered in the synopsis. He makes some comments at a wedding, in the present of the show, and from there the hilarity surely does ensue.

beanheadmcginty

Can't wait to see Karen Gillen's legs in this

gilbertharding

Quote from: neveragain on June 24, 2024, 05:17:11 PMThat's already answered in the synopsis. He makes some comments at a wedding, in the present of the show, and from there the hilarity surely does ensue.

I mean, I saw a post on twitter recently which pointed out the problems inherent with writing that it's literally impossible for a character to be cleverer than his author (funnily enough, the tweeter went on to use Sherlock as an example) - and I guess the same thing goes for 'funnier'.

Like I say, I don't know what they're going to have the man say, but I predict it will be so anodyne as to make the 'cancelling' look ridiculous - and the point will be lost.

pigamus

Quote from: ThaBiggPaybacc on June 23, 2024, 11:33:56 AMMoffat very clearly hit his apex as a writer doing the second, spookier two-parter of the season in Doctor Who. Bitter experience has shown he should be kept very firmly in that box, and should never, ever be made showrunner of anything.

He was showrunner of Press Gang, one of the greatest TV series ever made

purlieu

I love Joking Apart, I have a certain fondness for Chalk, I love the first three series of Coupling, and love a lot of his Doctor Who work, but Moffat has been coasting for quite a long time. I'd be vaguely interested in this if it promised to have all the weird structural stuff of Coupling, or the tightly constructed farces of Joking Apart, but for some reason I can't see that happening here.

The Lurker

Do you reckon they hired someone who's been #cancelled as a consultant?

Bentpitch

I've just remembered that appalling third episode of Dracula.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Bentpitch on June 24, 2024, 07:08:30 PMI've just remembered that appalling third episode of Dracula.

It was utter drivel.

Quote from: The Lurker on June 24, 2024, 06:55:29 PMDo you reckon they hired someone who's been #cancelled as a consultant?

Yes, Dracula.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: pigamus on June 24, 2024, 05:35:11 PMHe was showrunner of Press Gang, one of the greatest TV series ever made

Well, he wrote it all. He wasn't showrunner, not least because there was no concept of such a thing in British TV 30 years ago.

Your needless pedantry has been acknowledged.

McDead

Dracula did nothing wrong, it was a different time

mippy

"Showrunner" always sounds weird when applied to UK TV, especially anything that doesn't involve a writers' room.

The Lurker

Quote from: McDead on June 24, 2024, 09:38:04 PMDracula did nothing wrong, it was a different time

Could you imagine getting so cancelled that you get a stake through your heart?

Stinky Lomax

These days you get a stake through the heart if you say you're English.

idunnosomename

Yikes. First, that accent bro: seems someone needs to learn themselves a little  medieval Slavic-Magyar culture and politics. Second, it doesn't matter what you want with her blood: consent, bruh

McDead

Dracula sitting up feverishly in his coffin, hastily writing a panicked apology in the notes app on his phone.

𝕿𝖔 𝖊𝖛𝖊𝖗𝖞𝖔𝖓𝖊 𝖜𝖍𝖔 𝖍𝖆𝖘 𝖇𝖊𝖊𝖓 𝖍𝖚𝖗𝖙 𝖇𝖞 𝖒𝖞 𝖆𝖈𝖙𝖎𝖔𝖓𝖘, 𝕴 𝖆𝖒 𝖙𝖗𝖚𝖑𝖞, 𝖙𝖗𝖚𝖑𝖞 𝖘𝖔𝖗𝖗𝖞. 𝕴 𝖍𝖆𝖛𝖊 𝖇𝖊𝖊𝖓 𝖌𝖔𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖙𝖍𝖗𝖔𝖚𝖌𝖍 𝖆 𝖉𝖎𝖋𝖋𝖎𝖈𝖚𝖑𝖙 𝖙𝖎𝖒𝖊, 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝕴 𝖓𝖔𝖜 𝖗𝖊𝖆𝖑𝖎𝖘𝖊 𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖗𝖊 𝖎𝖘 𝖒𝖔𝖗𝖊 𝖙𝖔 𝖑𝖎𝖋𝖊 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖈𝖔𝖓𝖘𝖚𝖒𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖔𝖓 𝖔𝖋 𝖇𝖑𝖔𝖔𝖉.

madhair60

bobloblaw

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on June 23, 2024, 11:26:12 AMI've seen this and I was dubious at first, as it seems to be exactly as you described, but there's a lot more to it than that.

I should also add that the first two episodes are often quite irritating, so I wouldn't blame anyone for giving up on it.

Watched it and I have some thoughts.

Spoiler alert

It definitely gets better as it goes along and it says something that the best scene is the one that Hugh's not in. Some career-best acting from both players there.
Its origins as a play are very clear but that's not necessarily to its detriment - some good character-driven drama with well-written dialogue is always welcome. Though in stretching out to 3 hours or so, it did get repetitive (and not just the scenes/lines that are repeated)
On that note, ending episodes 2 and 3 at pretty much exactly the same point is bizarre and dilutes some of the tension
All of the 'young people' bits are cringeworthy, especially the superfluous editor's PA character and I suspect Moffat knows that deep down and accepts he's writing from a boomer perspective
The shit agent being a bit shit quickly got tiresome. Only partially redeemed by his exposure in the climax
It's definitely, for better or worse, A Man writing about the issue with A Man as the main identification point, but given that, I thought the final episodes did a decent job of nuance.
Karen's character has some of Moffat's typical 'feistiness' but ends it more rounded than most of his female characters
Overall, not as bad as I'd feared, more serious than I was expecting, but dragged out with a few too many major tonal shifts
[close]

Quote from: bobloblaw on June 26, 2024, 06:12:18 PMWatched it and I have some thoughts.

Spoiler alert

It definitely gets better as it goes along and it says something that the best scene is the one that Hugh's not in. Some career-best acting from both players there.
Its origins as a play are very clear but that's not necessarily to its detriment - some good character-driven drama with well-written dialogue is always welcome. Though in stretching out to 3 hours or so, it did get repetitive (and not just the scenes/lines that are repeated)
On that note, ending episodes 2 and 3 at pretty much exactly the same point is bizarre and dilutes some of the tension
All of the 'young people' bits are cringeworthy, especially the superfluous editor's PA character and I suspect Moffat knows that deep down and accepts he's writing from a boomer perspective
The shit agent being a bit shit quickly got tiresome. Only partially redeemed by his exposure in the climax
It's definitely, for better or worse, A Man writing about the issue with A Man as the main identification point, but given that, I thought the final episodes did a decent job of nuance.
Karen's character has some of Moffat's typical 'feistiness' but ends it more rounded than most of his female characters
Overall, not as bad as I'd feared, more serious than I was expecting, but dragged out with a few too many major tonal shifts
[close]

Yep, I agree with all of that.

Jerrykeshton

Tags: