Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 17, 2024, 11:04:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"Douglas is cancelled" is cancelled

Started by mjwilson, June 22, 2024, 07:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: mippy on June 24, 2024, 10:52:24 PM"Showrunner" always sounds weird when applied to UK TV, especially anything that doesn't involve a writers' room.

When I first heard the term used I assumed it was like a Runner.
It's a stupid word, what's wrong with Director?

dontpaintyourteeth

Watched it when it went out live tonight, thought it was a bit rubbish. Alright cheers

JesusAndYourBush

I saw ep1 this evening.  I quite like that the thing he said hasn't been revealed yet.  It shows people will make a kneejerk reaction without having all the facts.  I kindof hope it isn't revealed, although it'll have to be at some point I guess.

bobloblaw

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on June 27, 2024, 10:32:50 PMWatched it when it went out live tonight, thought it was a bit rubbish. Alright cheers

Second half of series is a lot better.
Should have been a three parter though.
Or, as originally intended, a play.

lauraxsynthesis

It's not a comedy. It's also more about
Spoiler alert
me too scenarios
[close]
than cancellation, and I agree it's dodgy af for the programme makers to push the cancellation angle as if middle aged straight white men are in need of protection from a mob, as opposed
Spoiler alert
to women needing liberation from male violence and exploitation. The scene in the hotel room was so long, which made the horror build, and I rather admire the commitment to making the audience uncomfortable with Toby's behaviour.
[close]

Found the programme very slow and it should have been one episode fewer. I noticed the stage play dynamics in episode 4 in particular. That scene in the studio suddenly seemed very familiar from stuff I've seen onstage at the National Theatre, and not just because Simon Russell Beale was there. Nice to see SRB all comfortable playing an out gay character. I remember he was super hesitant to be out publicly when his parents were alive.

I did like the cast, enjoyed seeing the Pond women together again, liked Nick Mohammed when he was being a dork. The characters were mostly stereotypes, but I wasn't expecting this story to tell any great truths about the human condition. I wasn't particularly comfortable with Moffat getting in multiple digs at insufferable Zoomer girls. I don't think those characters were exaggerated massively, but I think the programme went too far making them villains or at least extremely irritating with no redeeming features. It's not dignified for someone in Moffat's position to go to war with these kids - just ignore them ffs.

Apart from all this, I kept picking up on an additional agenda to criticise the bringing down of Huw Edwards. Bonneville looks like Edwards, and various characters throughout the programme made almost direct reference to what happened to him. It made me feel a bit warmer towards the programme. Didn't like it overall though.

neveragain

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on June 27, 2024, 10:31:51 PMWhen I first heard the term used I assumed it was like a Runner.
It's a stupid word, what's wrong with Director?

It's not really a director role, it's more of a lead writer who's responsible for where the story goes and lays down some rules for tone and content. Although I suppose directors can have a say in this as well in some shows.

Back to the Cancelled... After two wobbly episodes, I quite enjoyed it as a good piece of drama. Again, zoomer characters were crap and it should have been an episode shorter, but I really liked where it went, particularly in the fake interview sections where you didn't know if Madeline was trying to help at all or purely being vindictive. Which was made clear in the end.

Overall, better than that thing where David Tennant locked a music teacher in the basement.

Utter Shit

Christ almighty this is one of the worst shows I've ever seen. I expected it to be on the nose with it's attitude to wokeness but fuck me, this should be called Steven Is Insecure. Awful.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Utter Shit on June 28, 2024, 09:24:20 PMChrist almighty this is one of the worst shows I've ever seen. I expected it to be on the nose with it's attitude to wokeness but fuck me, this should be called Steven Is Insecure. Awful.

Did you watch the whole thing? Fair enough, if so.

Jim_MacLaine

I just went to download this and the contrast is non existent. It wasn't broadcast like a bad instagram photo was it?

Looks like they put gauze over the lens for a 'cinematic' effect.

dontpaintyourteeth

Utter Shit

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on June 29, 2024, 09:54:41 AMDid you watch the whole thing? Fair enough, if so.

No, I bailed towards the end of the first episode. Does it veer away from that as it goes on? Because that first episode    could not have screamed "this writer has a vague, inaccurate idea of what wokeness is and absolutely hates it" more to me.

Thosworth

Quote from: Jim_MacLaine on June 29, 2024, 11:15:15 AMI just went to download this and the contrast is non existent. It wasn't broadcast like a bad instagram photo was it?

Film Dour

It's to combat the societal problem of people watching TV in the sunshine on their phones.

Also, how are you supposed to know he's sad if it isn't grey? Look how much happier he looks:

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Utter Shit on June 29, 2024, 12:42:38 PMNo, I bailed towards the end of the first episode. Does it veer away from that as it goes on? Because that first episode    could not have screamed "this writer has a vague, inaccurate idea of what wokeness is and absolutely hates it" more to me.

It does eventually veer away from all that bollocks, yeah, but I don't blame you for bailing on it after episode one.

Virgo76

Almost gave up after episode 2. Dramatic improvement from episode 3 on.

ajsmith2

Agree with all the above. Fortunately, this doesn't end how you are led to think it will.

dontpaintyourteeth

Why are they acting like Twitter is all important and dramatic? He retweeted her omg

I don't think I actually have the patience to see where this is really going or whatever I'm sorry

JesusAndYourBush

Yeah the reactions are OTT, everyone losing their shit over it. Many people might have just said "Yeah I made a sexist joke so what?"

Except if you've not seen past episode 2 it's not going in the direction you think it is. Worth sticking with it.

I think I'm enjoying - dialogue zips along quite nicely, there's a solid game of 'oh its him' (Joe Wilkinson as the Driver).

Episode 2 its clear, really really clear, it's taking a turn elsewhere and that Madeline is fully in charge here.

It's also quite ironic that the joke hasn't actually been revealed yet. One for later episode, right?

Take my thoughts with a pinch of salt, I thought the intro to episode 2 was Portsmouth.

cromby

Watched all of this last night, and as others have said, was ready to drop it like a sack of shit until I got to the third episode and realised it's actually a little bit cleverer than it seems at face value. It's a shame, though, because it's still replete with Moffatisms/general-boomer-writerisms that will presumably turn a lot of people off before they get to the good stuff.

Thomas

Moffat remains a champion Doctor Who writer, as he proved again this last series. In plenty of his 50 episodes he's clever, sincere, sentimental, angry, funny - and only on a few occasions has he really dropped the ball with a lame ending or a weak resolution. Even then there's usually something rich and interesting going on under the surface. All of his standalone stories under Russell T Davies have been stunning.

But things like Dracula, Sherlock, and Inside Man just ended up becoming rubbish. Even if they all kicked off with great promise.

As such I'm glad to hear that Douglas is Cancelled reverses the trend by starting badly and ending alright. I'm a completist and I'm still always interested to see what Moffat does next.

neveragain

Quote from: Thomas on July 06, 2024, 06:30:05 PMI'm a completist and I'm still always interested to see what Moffat does next.

Did you see his play The Unfriend? It was quite good but lacking something.

Thomas

Quote from: neveragain on July 06, 2024, 08:09:59 PMDid you see his play The Unfriend? It was quite good but lacking something.

Unfortunately I didn't (perhaps it was lacking me)

lazyhour

This was very uneven overall but episode 3 as a standalone piece of drama was absolutely incredible. Just a very believable extended display of extreme predatory behaviour which is very obviously a kind of attempted sexual assault yet which at all stages has a slimy plausible deniability if she ever tried to bring it to anybody's attention.

Perfectly scripted and acted. Shocking and terrifying, and I've no doubt it's a situation experienced by thousands of women every year, not to mention plenty of men in a similar power/age imbalance.

Reminded me of the theme of the incredible film 'Nightingale' - that the only ingredient a woman needs to be in a place of sheer terror is to suddenly find herself alone with the wrong man.

somersetchris

Could have been interesting if middle aged white man says and does awful stuff, it comes out, and actually nothing happens and he gets to continue his career and become even more awful because it turns out being a terrible person has no real consequences, and you can moan endlessly about being cancelled while not actually being cancelled.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Thomas on July 06, 2024, 06:30:05 PMBut things like Dracula, Sherlock, and Inside Man just ended up becoming rubbish. Even if they all kicked off with great promise.

You forgot Jekyll.  Started off truly brilliantly, and then got very strangely confused, disjointed and crap with about 1½ episodes to go.  Dunno if it was the writing or the editing (probably a bit of both) but such a disappointment.  Worse than the final episode of Dracula.  It was like a whole chunk of story had suddenly gone missing, IIRC (it was a long time ago).

(I've never even heard of Inside Man, must investigate.)

neveragain

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on July 08, 2024, 02:17:42 AM(I've never even heard of Inside Man, must investigate.)

It's certainly flawed but compellingly odd. Worth a gawp.

Quote from: somersetchris on July 08, 2024, 12:59:52 AMCould have been interesting if middle aged white man says and does awful stuff, it comes out, and actually nothing happens and he gets to continue his career and become even more awful because it turns out being a terrible person has no real consequences, and you can moan endlessly about being cancelled while not actually being cancelled.

The ending almost goes there and yeah, it's a shame they didn't really, but Moffatt probably believes cancelled means professional death. He was on Sunday Brunch and mentioned (with no names) friends of his whose careers have been derailed by the Twitter warriors, and of course never their own actions. It did make me wonder who he was on about...

McDead

Quote from: Thomas on July 06, 2024, 06:30:05 PMMoffat remains a champion Doctor Who writer, as he proved again this last series. In plenty of his 50 episodes he's clever, sincere, sentimental, angry, funny - and only on a few occasions has he really dropped the ball with a lame ending or a weak resolution. Even then there's usually something rich and interesting going on under the surface. All of his standalone stories under Russell T Davies have been stunning.

But things like Dracula, Sherlock, and Inside Man just ended up becoming rubbish. Even if they all kicked off with great promise.

As such I'm glad to hear that Douglas is Cancelled reverses the trend by starting badly and ending alright. I'm a completist and I'm still always interested to see what Moffat does next.

I think he needs the limitations of writing for a children's audience. Working against the outer edges of that restriction seems to bring out the best in him; when he writes work for adults (or otherwise has a free hand) it seems oddly phony, juvenile and smug. He's like all the great Who scribes in that respect - the children's writer whom adults adore.

Mister Six

Quote from: Jim_MacLaine on June 29, 2024, 11:15:15 AMI just went to download this and the contrast is non existent. It wasn't broadcast like a bad instagram photo was it?

Looks like they put gauze over the lens for a 'cinematic' effect.

This is the shite low-contrast colour grading that's been in vogue for a few years. This is sort of how raw digital film recordings look, so the theory is that indie directors saw it in the editing booth and decided they liked it, kept a variation of it for the finished films, and then it spread from there to become a whole aesthetic.

Personally, I mostly prefer crushed blacks (not a racist term, don't cancel me).

Lipglossed

If all the big Hollywood studios can cheap out on lighting scenes, then it's acceptable that you too can also cheap out on lighting scenes. And boom: everything looks like this now.

Tags: