Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 18, 2024, 08:49:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What's going on here then?

Started by Ron Superior, June 23, 2024, 07:45:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Superior

I never go on Facebook any more. I've just been on and this was recommended to me:

Who are these people and what do they do?

What's up with Dec?

Why were any of them at the Atlantic Records party?

"If we did not laugh we would...laugh"?

Why have 6.3k people liked this?

Does the word official not mean anything any more?

#love

PlanktonSideburns

This looks like its something for the bots to enjoy, not us

The Mollusk

Didn't know Sleaford Mods had signed to Atlantic

Oosp

Dec is no longer the one on the right

frajer

Ron Superior

Interested in the running order of this Butlins lineup. Toploader headlining or on first, below Chesney Hawkes and Kevin & Perry?

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: Ron Superior on June 23, 2024, 08:30:31 AM

Interested in the running order of this Butlins lineup. Toploader headlining or on first, below Chesney Hawkes and Kevin & Perry?

Sweet Female Attitude deserve better than this

It appears to be some people who went to the Hardwick Live festival in 2021 dressed as Kevin and Perry, a video of them went viral, and they became the real Kevin and Perry as DJs as confirmed by articles like this and this that mention the DJs' past as mere simulacra.

I believe this is what they call hyperreality, but the fact that they're labelled 'official' apparently without being sued is probably something to do with late capitalism.

Ron Superior

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on June 23, 2024, 09:01:28 AMSweet Female Attitude deserve better than this

Give them their flowers, as it were.

madhair60

all I wanna do is do it

big girl big girl

madhair60

hello women reading this I would not be at all averse to doing things besides doing it

There Be Rumblings

Quote from: Ron Superior on June 23, 2024, 08:30:31 AM

The One and Only was released 12,168 days ago. Including repeats, matinees and encores, it's probably reasonable to assume that that equates to Chesney Hawkes singing that song at least once a day, every single day of his life since March 1991.

The phrase 'I am the one and only' appears in that song 9 times. That would mean that he's sung the phrase 'I am the one and only' at least 109,512 times, in public performances alone, notwithstanding rehearsals or times he just finds himself muttering it under his breath. And now he's going to do it some more.

No life is it.

dontpaintyourteeth

There is, quite literally, nobody he'd rather be. He's fine.

Ron Superior

I've seen Chesney Hawkes in the flesh twice in my life, both times at Wembley Arena. Once when he was watching The Prodigy, and once backstage at a Spinal Tap gig. I wasn't worrying about Chesney. But those figures don't lie, that must be maddening.

Edit: hang on, isn't it true that it wasn't even him that sang it on the record? Didn't Nik Kershaw sing that line? Actually, maybe that's even more maddening.

Small Man Big Horse

About fifteen years ago a friend of mine hired Chesney Hawkes to perform at his sister's wedding as she was such a huge fan, and apparently he sang The One And Only three times during the set.

PlanktonSideburns

How much does chez charge for a wedding i wonder

Plunge

Quote from: Ron Superior on June 23, 2024, 07:45:25 AM"If we did not laugh we would...laugh"?

It's we would cry but the cry is represented by the emoji

checkoutgirl

Why did Sum 41 headline a decent gig of a few thousand people not 5 minutes walk from my house the other day but Scouting For Girls have to play second fiddle to Boyzlife on a bill with Sweet Female Attitude? And where do Fallout Boy fit into all this? Greenday have a decent back catalogue and were pretty big so they're fine.

The criteria for pecking order, paydays and headlining gigs is a total mystery because for me, Scouting For Girls, Sum 41 and Fallout Boy are essentially the same band and any difference in their finances and fortunes is baffling.

Harlequin

ARE WE NOT BRINGING UP THE FUCKING FACT THAT KEVIN AND PERRY HAVE BEEN REPLACED?!

kalowski

Quote from: Ron Superior on June 23, 2024, 02:09:06 PMI've seen Chesney Hawkes in the flesh twice in my life, both times at Wembley Arena.
Thought you'd written "Chesney Hawks with a fleshlight" there. Shudder.

idunnosomename

wait, is that NOT Harry Enfield and Kathy Burke?

TheDreamIsOver

Quote from: checkoutgirl on June 23, 2024, 08:54:24 PMWhy did Sum 41 headline a decent gig of a few thousand people not 5 minutes walk from my house the other day but Scouting For Girls have to play second fiddle to Boyzlife on a bill with Sweet Female Attitude? And where do Fallout Boy fit into all this? Greenday have a decent back catalogue and were pretty big so they're fine.

The criteria for pecking order, paydays and headlining gigs is a total mystery because for me, Scouting For Girls, Sum 41 and Fallout Boy are essentially the same band and any difference in their finances and fortunes is baffling.

Are you confusing Scouting For Girls with Bowling For Soup? As SFG sound nothing like the other two...

madhair60

Quote from: checkoutgirl on June 23, 2024, 08:54:24 PMWhy did Sum 41 headline a decent gig of a few thousand people not 5 minutes walk from my house the other day

because they're ace

Quotebut Scouting For Girls have to play second fiddle to Boyzlife on a bill with Sweet Female Attitude?

because they're shit

QuoteAnd where do Fallout Boy fit into all this?

they're great!

Deliciousbass

Quote from: madhair60 on June 23, 2024, 10:10:19 AMall I wanna do is do it

big girl big girl

what the fuck i thought they were saying 'big up, big up' hat massively fucked

lauraxsynthesis

I agree with Burkey and think this is act is brilliant. I want them to DJ my birthday party

Captain Z

"IVD - Castles In The Sky" is the one bothering me.

Is it the real Ian van Dahl performing just that one song?

Is it some kind of Ian van Dahl-esque tribute act/DJ?

Is it the real Ian van Dahl but they thought nobody would remember who Ian van Dahl were, so decided it was better to prioritise naming their famous hit above the name of the act?

There Be Rumblings

It's the last one I think. They needed to put the name of their one song in or no-one would know who they were.

Apparently Nik Kershaw wrote the One and Only, but Chesney sang it.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: checkoutgirl on June 23, 2024, 08:54:24 PMWhy did Sum 41 headline a decent gig of a few thousand people not 5 minutes walk from my house the other day but Scouting For Girls have to play second fiddle to Boyzlife on a bill with Sweet Female Attitude? And where do Fallout Boy fit into all this? Greenday have a decent back catalogue and were pretty big so they're fine.

Sum 41 are great, all the other bands you menti9n are rubs

dissolute ocelot

Googling Ian Van Dahl the first result was "Bury: Ian Van Dahl to appear at Club Den for headline show". According to the article, Club Den is "a furniture shop on one floor of a five-story mill".

Toploader are booked to play the 800-capacity O2 Academy Islington later this year, but Scouting For Girls are doing the 2300-capacity O2 Forum Kentish Town. Does O2 own all the venues in London? Chesney seems to be playing a lot of cruises.

I once saw Toploader support Robbie Williams at Hampden Park. They were shit, but there were a lot of people there.

Tags: