Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 18, 2024, 09:26:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What's going on here then?

Started by Ron Superior, June 23, 2024, 07:45:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

checkoutgirl

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on June 24, 2024, 11:08:02 AMSum 41 are great, all the other bands you menti9n are rubs

I find the clear distinction between these bands kind of fascinating because the sonic overlap is stark. The vocal and guitar styles seem identical to me. A high energy pop punk thing.

Green
Scouting
Sum
Fallout
Wheatus
Blink

Green Day at least did Dookie which is a decent enough album. Maybe they're all just Green Day clones and I missed the boat by being too old.

The Mollusk

Scouting for Girls sound nothing like Green Day.

TheDreamIsOver

They're nothing like any of those other bands, got to be thinking of someone else.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: checkoutgirl on June 24, 2024, 11:34:52 AMI find the clear distinction between these bands kind of fascinating because the sonic overlap is stark. The vocal and guitar styles seem identical to me. A high energy pop punk thing.

Green
Scouting
Sum
Fallout
Wheatus
Blink

Green Day at least did Dookie which is a decent enough album. Maybe they're all just Green Day clones and I missed the boat by being too old.

I dunno, there's something about sum 41s energy levels that make them stand out for me. Plus all the iron maiden sounding bits. Can't stand most other pop punk, its glories are a mystery to me, but for some reason sum41 tramscend it for me

Oh, Nobody

Always thought Sum 41 were going for an early Beastie Boys type thing.

Also the singer is named Deryck Whibley, you can't tell me that's not entertaining.

Thosworth

The main distinguishing characteristic of Scouting For Girls appears to be that they never bother to write choruses, they just hammer the title of the song repeatedly into your brain. Who can forget the lyrical masterpiece: "She's so loverly, She's so loverly, She's so loverly, She's so loverly" and the classic: "Elvis isn't dead, Elvis isn't dead, Elvis isn't dead, Elvis isn't dead".

Actually has anyone checked the Baby Shark writing credits?

purlieu

Quote from: checkoutgirl on June 24, 2024, 11:34:52 AMI find the clear distinction between these bands kind of fascinating because the sonic overlap is stark. The vocal and guitar styles seem identical to me. A high energy pop punk thing.

Green
Scouting
Sum
Fallout
Wheatus
Blink

What the fuck is going on here? Scouting for Girls are a shiny, smug sounding piano pop band, they're nothing to do with 'high energy pop punk'.

Similar lists:
Bring Me the Horizon
Killswitch Engage
Avenged Sevenfold
Keane
Bullet for My Valentine

Limp Bizkit
Papa Roach
Korn
The Kooks
Slipknot

Thosworth

Quote from: purlieu on June 24, 2024, 05:08:08 PMScouting for Girls are a shiny, smug sounding piano pop band

Believe the term is 'Landfill Indie'. After the labels all saw the success of The Strokes and Libertines, they signed every skinny boy found standing near to a guitar and flooded the market with yer Razorlights, Wombats, Kooks, Ordinary Boys, Fratellis, Bombay Bicycle Clubs etc etc etc.

Enough indie, you might say, to fill a land, er, fill.

Landfill indie is still a few levels above Scouting for Girls, Keane is a decent enough comparison style-wise but they're still 10 times the band SFG are/were.

purlieu

Yeah, I don't really think of them as landfill indie either, they're too poppy and without a guitarist so can't even attempt comparisons with the likes of the Strokes and Libertines. They're closer to someone like Maroon 5 than any of that.

PlanktonSideburns

They sound like someone who watched been folds five with the sound off and decided to have a go

Ron Superior

😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍

PlanktonSideburns

Tags: