Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 17, 2024, 12:18:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Any recent charity shop hauls?

Started by Barry Admin, June 25, 2024, 01:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

Barnardo's were doing 3 books for a quid! So I picked up:

Julie Walters - That's Another Story
Kelsey Miller - I'll Be There For You

Also "What If?" by Randall Munroe, the creator of XKCD. Dunno if it's funny yet but looks incredibly interesting.

Records were 3 quid each so I put back the Gilbert and Sullivan and stopped looking to avoid further temptation.

Oh and I got this, which I'm super excited about:

4 of his records on CD. I have some of them already as an Auntie used to give me them as a kid, but it's awesome to have the remastered CD versions at last. I grew up listening to his records and watching him on TV, and then he just vanished. Norn Iron never really had a better comic mind or performer, as far as I can think.

Anyway, also saw Bob Mortimer's autobiography in Lidl's for 8 quid currently.

Shaxberd

I really enjoy Randall Munroe's books, very entertaining pop-science type stuff. There's a What If 2 and How To as well, worth keeping an eye out for them if they turn up on the shelves. He's doing a live tour later this year, not sure how it'll translate to stage but I'm interested.

Norton Canes

Oxfam bookshop had three first edition Vampire clanbooks at reasonable prices, now only after Malkavian, Ventrue, Tremere and Toreador.

StooeyGK

The region 1 Spaced DVD set for £2.99. Been after it for years because of all the extra commentary tracks with their famous American friends.

The only episode that won't play/rip is the night out in London one from series season 2. Tried everything. Wish I never found it now as this has irrationally irked me. I caught my white whale, but it has a fin missing.

Barry Admin

Quote from: StooeyGK on June 25, 2024, 02:28:29 PMThe region 1 Spaced DVD set for £2.99. Been after it for years because of all the extra commentary tracks with their famous American friends.

Interesting! I remember how good the Spaced DVD extras were, would be intrigued to hear more about these commentaries.

SteveDave

Those commentaries are "available". Or they were in 2014. I remember wandering around London listening to them because I'd watched "Spaced" so many times I knew exactly what scene they were talking about.

Bartholomew J Krishna

Arrested Development S1 DVD in the 3 for a pound section of Daisy Chain.
(With Nirvana and Toots and the Maytals CDs rounding out the selection).
1.5p per episode!

dead-ced-dead

Deadwood season one and A Mighty Wind in Cancer Research Folkestone. Three quid for the lot. Score.

JaDanketies

Picked up a Horrible Histories collection of 20 books, still with the packaging in, for £20. Not from a charity shop, but it was second-hand. The shopkeeper's daughter bought it for her kids and they never read them, apparently. Hopefully my son will like them, good toilet reading for me otherwise.

StooeyGK

Quote from: Barry Admin on June 25, 2024, 02:30:53 PMInteresting! I remember how good the Spaced DVD extras were, would be intrigued to hear more about these commentaries.

Quote from: WikipediaWright announced the release of a Region 1 Spaced DVD release on 22 July 2008, which included an all-new commentary with Wright, Pegg, and Stevenson, as well as special guests Quentin Tarantino, Kevin Smith, Bill Hader, Diablo Cody, Matt Stone and Patton Oswalt.

They're good! Smith gets a bit creepy and keeps bringing the topic back to Jessica and breast feeding, but there's also some real fried gold and bits of trivia, insights I'd not heard before.

If these are still "available" somewhere, I would love a link or a nudge in the right direction.

Barry Admin

Bill Hader and Matt Stone?! God damn.

Egyptian Feast

I got the complete Steptoe and Son DVD set in a chazza earlier for a suspiciously low £8, but aside from the case being dinged and possibly missing an outer sleeve, all seems fine. Pleasantly surprised it has everything, only missing the colour for a few 1970s episodes and the two films. I assumed many of the earlier episodes would have been wiped, but apparently not.

Pink Gregory

Simpsons Seasons 2-8 boxsets, all in the same town!

Also found the set of all of Porridge

5 Gary Larson books (not the Far Side Galleries, the smaller ones) for £3

lauraxsynthesis

A couple of weeks ago I was in Southwold and found the latest Alan Bennett collection, Keeping On Keeping On in hardcover in the local hospice shop. 50p for a massive doorstop of a book. I was delighted to open it and see that the man himself also had a lovely holiday in Suffolk

Barry Admin

Quote from: Shaxberd on June 25, 2024, 01:56:59 PMI really enjoy Randall Munroe's books, very entertaining pop-science type stuff. There's a What If 2 and How To as well, worth keeping an eye out for them if they turn up on the shelves. He's doing a live tour later this year, not sure how it'll translate to stage but I'm interested.

Boo, no Belfast as usual.

Really enjoying his book so far though, missed the internet version of all this stuff. It is genuinely funny and interesting.

Flicked through a WB Yeats collection I got as well. Man, something about poetry really makes my ADHD struggle, I don't get it.

I love buying second hand books, it's a real joy. I left my smartphone in the flat today and took the books out to the park, gonna do that a lot more often. I really miss books and not-looking-at-a-bloody-screen.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: StooeyGK on June 25, 2024, 02:28:29 PMThe region 1 Spaced DVD set for £2.99. Been after it for years because of all the extra commentary tracks with their famous American friends.

The only episode that won't play/rip is the night out in London one from series season 2. Tried everything. Wish I never found it now as this has irrationally irked me. I caught my white whale, but it has a fin missing.

I should be able to get you a rip of this with the US commentary if you want

madhair60

yes please thank you

(is it possible to get a rip with all the commentaries on one file or is that an absolutely mad idea???)

StooeyGK

Magnum Valentino

Right here's the thing - I don't have the Smith commentaries because I deleted them because I hate him but if I can find them again, yeah, I'll try and do up a couple of options, maybe video files with multiple audio tracks, possibly YouTube for the audio only which could be a single big long audio track per series per set (so one for series 1 UK commentary, one for US commentary, and again for series 2, four in total).

It might take a while but I'll fucking DO IT

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: madhair60 on June 26, 2024, 08:40:41 AMyes please thank you

(is it possible to get a rip with all the commentaries on one file or is that an absolutely mad idea???)

I misread this as the whole series as one file, which, oddly, is the only way I have the series 1 commentary from the rip I did about 10 years ago. However, my series 2 files have both three audio tracks - the episode audio, then one each for the commentaries.

I'm missing a Bill Hader commentary too, as well as the Smith ones. Working on making this as complete as possible so give me a few days to hoke around.

Des Wigwam

Little Goes a Long Way couple of months ago. 50p. I gave them a quid for it as I am Daddy Warbucks and it's an easy way to feel good about myself.

Granted I feel a bit bad as it's a bit of a sneery pleasure but it's very enjoyable.

Obvs the Don Estelle autobiography is the ultimate find.

Memorex MP3

Got an Ospreay day bag for about £2 in a Japanese junk shop a few months back, also got a bizarre PocketStation accessory chancers try and sell on eBay for £50. Could have gotten so much stuff in those places but I had very limited bag space (to the point I needed to buy a bag)

More recently got a massive fire blanket for £4, a 7 day time plug socket thing and some audiobook cassettes to rip open to make loop tapes from

I might buy an untested PS2 from one in the next week or so, will depend on how negotiable the price is

Mr_Simnock

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on June 25, 2024, 03:27:24 PMI got the complete Steptoe and Son DVD set in a chazza earlier for a suspiciously low £8, but aside from the case being dinged and possibly missing an outer sleeve, all seems fine. Pleasantly surprised it has everything, only missing the colour for a few 1970s episodes and the two films. I assumed many of the earlier episodes would have been wiped, but apparently not.

Unfortunately, the DVD versions of the two Christmas specials, unlike the VHS releases, aren't the full versions. Each full episode is about 47 minutes long and there's a few minutes missing from both.

The reason that the BBC has given is that due damage to the master tapes, an edited version had been produced. The edited versions are the one that gets television broadcast and going from memory, it's the sort of thing someone would only know if they knew the episode well. It certainly isn't due to content concerns and personally, would say it feels more like it's been trimmed to more convenient length for broadcast purposes. A light tangent, but it's been striking how much modern BBC radio broadcasts of classic old comedy (like Hancock) have trimmed out and I suspect it's mainly for timing reasons. There have been edits done (such as to Steptoe) for modern sensibilities but it's striking to compare the commercial releases with what's been broadcast for a good amount of time - I've also noticed this with old off-air recordings.

Going back to the DVDs, you probably know this but the black and white episodes when the show was in colour are due to the BBC wiping those episodes. I think it's largely due to the Steptoe and Son Appreciation Society working with the BBC that we have the B/W ones available. For a sitcom season the Beeb, there were three recreated 'Missing believed wiped' episodes of iconic sitcoms - the initial press releases  trumpeted (reflected in coverage such as this https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/2046/bbc4_the_lost_sitcoms/) that the originals were believed lost.

This claim raised eyebrows as one was a Steptoe episode that we most certainly have and there was online comments about this.

Soon after, the BBC's official line was quietly changed to that the original recordings had been lost - that change I like to ascribe to petty, small-minded individuals with too much time on their hands.  The clarification was accurate but did rather detract from the reason to do a Steptoe episode (although rather pleased that they did).

The two films weren't done by the BBC, so it's like other sitcom sets that also had film spin-offs, the films are released separately.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Ignatius_S on June 27, 2024, 02:51:45 PMUnfortunately, the DVD versions of the two Christmas specials, unlike the VHS releases, aren't the full versions. Each full episode is about 47 minutes long and there's a few minutes missing from both.

Bah! 'Complete' my eye! Thanks for the info Ignatius_S!

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on June 27, 2024, 03:53:00 PMBah! 'Complete' my eye! Thanks for the info Ignatius_S!

Sorry, I forgot to give you this link! https://archive.org/details/steptoe-christmas-specials

Basically, someone (or possibly some people) edited in the missing footage with the DVD versions so we have the specials as nature (or rather Galton and Simpson intended). This has been uploaded to YouTube but would go for this link.

The last special was also the very last episode of Steptoe (it's a particular favourite of mine) and it's nice that we have it all.

I also meant to mention that the radio version was trimmed down to about 36 minutes (an odd length) by the writers when they adapted it but it works very well. 

LordMorgan

Visiting my mother recently and in Southport, I could not believe that  picked up Alan partridge every ruddy word for 3 quid or something
Plus S1 of mid morning matters for a pound

Thank you very much, don't mind if I do

Tags: