Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 18, 2024, 09:04:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Spaced chat (see here for DVD extras!)

Started by Magnum Valentino, June 27, 2024, 07:53:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnum Valentino

Hello all (and @Barry Admin @madhair60 & @StooeyGK in particular)

I've thrown together all the extras from the two 3-disc boxsets of Spaced and uploaded them for anyone who wants them. PM me for the link.

Therein, you will find:

All episodes sourced from the higher-resolution streaming sources, with three audio options apiece (one with the original episode audio, one for the older UK commentary track and one for the US 'guest star' commentary);

All commentary tracks provided as single 3-hour audio files, four in total (see above);

All other extras from both sets (cross referenced as some were only present on one or the other).

Please now talk about how great Spaced is to justify my creation of this thread seeing as this all came up during a chat about charity shops somewhere else.

Ah that's aboslutely brilliant. I love Spaced, it's something that has huge nostalgic vibes but is also still really funny and hasn't been ruined by any of the cast or writers becoming cunts (I hope; please don't tell me if they have). In my family we still say "skip to the end" whenever someone starts a potentially long, rambling anecdote.

Led Souptin

Amazing work! Will be pmmmming. Finally getting to hear those American commentaries will be ace thank you!

Bloody love spaced.

It's perfect hangover binge material too. Is absolutely ESSENTIAL for a psychedelic comedown. Just very very lovely. Like the comedy equivalent of a big warm mug of tea but if the tea was funny or actually tasted nice.

Jack Shaftoe

I loved Spaced so much. 'Skip to the end' also said regularly in this house, used to also shout 'I've got some fucking jaffa cakes in my coat pocket!' but then we had children and couldn't swear anymore.

Still learning new things about it, saw Simon Pegg say something fairly recently about Mike having a moustache and Brian just having an under-beard thing because together they'd make up a whole person, which was lovely. That said, much-missed Cab member sick as a pike (a few years older than me) was completely bewildered by my love for it, so maybe it helped that I was just the right age, at the right time for it (and a big comics nerd etc).

Barry Admin

Thank you!

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on June 27, 2024, 08:08:50 PMThat said, much-missed Cab member sick as a pike (a few years older than me) was completely bewildered by my love for it...

Aww man, coming up to 4 years in a couple of weeks.  I keep thinking about him of late and seeing him on my phone and not wanting to delete his number, or bumping into his old posts when reading up about Tom Lehrer and stuff. 

Jack Shaftoe

I miss him very much, particularly because I've been in the sort of meetings lately, and with the exact people, where we'd be emailing each other seconds after the zoom had ended going 'What the fuck was that all about?'

He never got Spaced though, so fuck him (not really).

Magnum Valentino

Note to lurkers - the infamous Peter Serafinowicz "was there ever any doubt?" is amongst the contents of this lovingly assembled package, as is the beautifully charted evolution of (Hi) Reece (!) Shearsmith's "oh yeah, I hadn't thought of that".

madhair60

love Spaced but rewatching it a few years back I found it sort of unpleasantly sexist, but i suppose it's par for the course. really struggled with how Daisy gets treated compared to Tim. ditto Twist. and it's transphobic, too.

but it's still really funny.

Babylon 5's a big pile of shit!

Get out!

Eyyy!!

Jack Shaftoe

Quote from: madhair60 on June 27, 2024, 11:50:55 PMlove Spaced but rewatching it a few years back I found it sort of unpleasantly sexist, but i suppose it's par for the course. really struggled with how Daisy gets treated compared to Tim. ditto Twist. and it's transphobic, too.

Is that the 'He's a tr**ny?'/'It's more than that'/'He's a big fat tr**ny?' bit? I dunno, I always saw that as Tim being a sulky twat about the David Walliams character, and I was very sensitive to transphobic stuff at the time (which doesn't give me any great authority obviously, it just didn't feel like it was coming from a bad place, particularly).

I did feel bad for Jessica Hynes with what happened after Spaced though, it seems she was all 'hey, we're in a cool gang now!' and Wright and Pegg went off and made Shaun of the Dead without her*, which must have been really upsetting. Especially as she pointed out later that a lot of the cool comics references like Love and Rockets actually came from her, where everyone assumes it was Pegg.

* in a creative sense of course, obviously she does get a cameo in it.

frajer

I love Spaced so much. Looking back it's probably the most formative comedy thing of my life.

My dad got me into Day Today, Partridge and Brass Eye when I was little and that provided the rock-solid foundations for comedy appreciation, but Spaced came later and was the one that was mine. The first episode I saw was Episode 3 during it's late-night repeat run and it felt like it was being beamed out of the televison directly into my brain.

Suddenly with Tim here was a character who unironically played Resident Evil and loved zombie films, who treasured their PS1 and stayed up all night enjoying it, just like me! Admittedly it wasn't because I'd done a bag of cheap speed, but it all just felt so relatable in a way that no other sitcom had before. This wasn't the smug condescending attitude that things like the Big Bang Theory and the IT Crowd would later adopt when dipping into this world, this was all just presented as Things That People Did. Not only that, but cool people! It was a bit mind-blowing.

Funny as fuck too, and a show that celebrated the misfits and the oddballs without ever feeling pandering to them. They were flawed and they struggled and had shit jobs and messy relationships but they had great laughs and had little adventures that felt like epics.

I remember Pegg and Hynes saying in an interview that all the sitcoms about 20-somethings at the time seemed to be written by and starring 30/40-somethings and as such didn't remotely resemble their experiences, and that was what they wanted to change and bring to the screen.

I went off to uni not long after the second series went out and met what ended up being a lifelong friend, mainly because our senses of humour matched up. We of course got chatting about what films and telly we were into - Buffy, X-Files, superhero things. I can still remember him suddenly stopping with a half-smile and going "You watch Spaced?"

Edgar Wright-esque swipe cut to us laughing like twats while we basically recounted the entire series in a warm bubble of friendship and pints of the black stuff. Lovely memories of a great show that will always have a special place in my heart.

frajer

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on June 27, 2024, 08:08:50 PMI loved Spaced so much. 'Skip to the end' also said regularly in this house, used to also shout 'I've got some fucking jaffa cakes in my coat pocket!' but then we had children and couldn't swear anymore.

Still learning new things about it, saw Simon Pegg say something fairly recently about Mike having a moustache and Brian just having an under-beard thing because together they'd make up a whole person, which was lovely. That said, much-missed Cab member sick as a pike (a few years older than me) was completely bewildered by my love for it, so maybe it helped that I was just the right age, at the right time for it (and a big comics nerd etc).

That's lovely.

I remember Pegg saying about the facial hair in one of the commentaries and that the other thought process was that together Mike and Brian comprised the two sides of Tim, so Mike's compulsion to destroy (and moustache) plus Brian's compulsion to create (and beard) made up Tim (angry artist, full moustache and beard). Not sure how much of that was by design or happy accident but it's ace that it hangs together so well.

Loving this thread!

madhair60

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on June 28, 2024, 07:34:28 AMIs that the 'He's a tr**ny?'/'It's more than that'/'He's a big fat tr**ny?' bit? I dunno, I always saw that as Tim being a sulky twat about the David Walliams character, and I was very sensitive to transphobic stuff at the time (which doesn't give me any great authority obviously, it just didn't feel like it was coming from a bad place, particularly).

Yeah I think it's fairly clear that Tim's not in the right here - he's on a speed comedown and is a bit of an arse that whole episode. Still, you wouldn't have a mostly sympathetic character using a slur like that nowadays, and I think everyone on the creative team's embarrassed by it.

Scoops

obviously not a very nice line to hear these days, but i don't read it as maliciously transphobic. the joke would work exactly the same way if tim had said "wanker" instead, for example, and i'm sure everyone involved in the show would much rather they'd written it that way in the first place.

The Mollusk

There's another dodgy line when Tina (Daisy's boss in the restaurant kitchen) has a go at everyone and shouts "STOP GAWPING YOU R*****S" (ableist slur) which got a huge guilty laugh out of me when rewatching it a couple years back. Just the brazen savagery of the line, it's so unnecessary. I'm very sorry.

Zetetic

Quote from: PsychicHouseHunter on June 28, 2024, 01:50:44 PMYeah I think it's fairly clear that Tim's not in the right here - he's on a speed comedown and is a bit of an arse that whole episode. Still, you wouldn't have a mostly sympathetic character using a slur like that nowadays, and I think everyone on the creative team's embarrassed by it.
I think as much as anything it wouldn't make sense for a 2024 Tim (if that's even coherent) to be anything other than right-on about trans stuff. (I think Tim, and possibly others, expresse some realistic mild homophobia as well, and a small part of the humour of the Tim/Mike relationship is obviously "oh they're a bit like a romantic couple, bit gay but they're not gay".)

Maybe the slightly more interesting thing is whether the existence of Vulva as a character is transphobic, and that's only interesting as far as I'm concerned because I still think the episode is really funny and the Brian/Vulva story so strong.

Quote from: The Mollusk on June 28, 2024, 04:33:28 PMThere's another dodgy line when Tina (Daisy's boss in the restaurant kitchen) has a go at everyone and shouts "STOP GAWPING YOU R*****S" (ableist slur) which got a huge guilty laugh out of me when rewatching it a couple years back. Just the brazen savagery of the line, it's so unnecessary. I'm very sorry.

In (slight) defence of that, she's hardly a sympathetic character that we're meant to be siding with (unlike the example above with Tim). Not really ready to fall on my courgette spirulator over it but it does fit with that character (and as you admit, it is a shocking line that made me laugh too because of how totally unreasonable it is).

Jack Shaftoe

Somehow I'd forgotten that Reese Shearsmith's fantastic 'OH I HADD FORTA DAT!' came from Spaced, despite saying it probably once a month at least since it first aired*, it's gained of a life of its own in gif form.

Spaced really did have some great cameos (and Gervais), but managed not to seem smug about it. I did like that when they got John Simm in for that S2 opener (which didn't quite work, but that's okay) he didn't actually say a single line.

* almost as much as I growl 'I'm not a monster, Tim' at my wife for no reason. It's all comedy references at Shaftoe Towers, lol!!!! It is though.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Zetetic on June 29, 2024, 08:11:23 AMMaybe the slightly more interesting thing is whether the existence of Vulva as a character is transphobic

Aside from that dodgy line from Tim, I'd say not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leigh_Bowery

madhair60

i have decided to kick the cat amongst the pidgeots by intimating that Spaced is the birthplace of That Voice

RFT

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on July 01, 2024, 12:10:45 AMAside from that dodgy line from Tim, I'd say not.

I think my favourite joke in the whole series is the exchange where Brian's talking about the work he did with Vulva and Tim dismissively says "I can imagine", cut to the above nonsense, then Brian says "oh no, we did important work", and he remembers the exact same nonsense.

(It's also really weird that the Vulva costume then shows up in a episode of Red Dwarf made 15-20 years later, presumably having been stored somewhere.)

Jack Shaftoe

What I liked about the treatment of the Vulva character was that although they're pretentious as hell, the show itself does kind of respect them as an artist (even if Tim doesn't), and although their art is deeply weird, a lesser show would made it 'lol this is hiliarious', whereas it actually comes across as borderline creepy but also quite... affecting? I dunno, the show itself isn't laughing at them, which makes a difference.

Quote from: madhair60 on July 01, 2024, 08:32:39 AMi have decided to kick the cat amongst the pidgeots by intimating that Spaced is the birthplace of That Voice

Quite possibly, although I'd say it's funny when Simon Pegg does it, then later it just became a bit of a crutch for (can't find a better way of putting it) lesser comedic talents.

Jack Shaftoe

There's an old thread on it here (though not sure how much Barry would want this stuff dug up again, to be honest). Basically there was a bit of a thing in the late 90's/early 2000's of comedy characters saying a serious thing in a strangled ironic 'in quote' sort of voice, which was a bit Alan Partridge, a bit Pegg in Spaced (although Smack The Pony sketch did it as well). The thing is, people who didn't find those shows/actors funny got a bit 'That's not comedy, that's just doing a particular voice!' (I'm paraphrasing) and it did get a bit heated.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: RFT on July 01, 2024, 10:41:50 AMI think my favourite joke in the whole series is the exchange where Brian's talking about the work he did with Vulva and Tim dismissively says "I can imagine", cut to the above nonsense, then Brian says "oh no, we did important work", and he remembers the exact same nonsense.

Haha!

Quote(It's also really weird that the Vulva costume then shows up in a episode of Red Dwarf made 15-20 years later, presumably having been stored somewhere.)

Oh, wow. I didn't know that. Can you remember which episode?

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on July 01, 2024, 11:00:03 AMWhat I liked about the treatment of the Vulva character was that although they're pretentious as hell, the show itself does kind of respect them as an artist (even if Tim doesn't), and although their art is deeply weird, a lesser show would made it 'lol this is hiliarious', whereas it actually comes across as borderline creepy but also quite... affecting? I dunno, the show itself isn't laughing at them, which makes a difference.

Vulva's performance (Spaced): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APjDtBNZiNA

I had to remind myself with a rewatch. I think it is ripping the piss but it does it so well. I've never liked Walliams but he is excellent in this. It's not just yer lazy 'My 3-year-old could paint that' kind of criticism but it seems to have an understanding of and a grudging respect for the scene. As you say, the performance is creepy, but it's over two hours long and they cut to the end so the viewer doesn't have to suffer it.

Btw, I love Tim's default waking-up-in-terror hands postion.

Shaxberd

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on July 01, 2024, 12:41:35 PMHaha!

Oh, wow. I didn't know that. Can you remember which episode?

Series 12 nadir Timequake, iirc, which is probably a lot more 'problematic' than Spaced due to being written about 20 years later.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Shaxberd on July 01, 2024, 01:27:30 PMSeries 12 nadir Timequake, iirc, which is probably a lot more 'problematic' than Spaced due to being written about 20 years later.

Thanks. I don't think I made it as far as series 12.

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on July 01, 2024, 11:00:03 AMWhat I liked about the treatment of the Vulva character was that although they're pretentious as hell, the show itself does kind of respect them as an artist (even if Tim doesn't), and although their art is deeply weird, a lesser show would made it 'lol this is hiliarious', whereas it actually comes across as borderline creepy but also quite... affecting? I dunno, the show itself isn't laughing at them, which makes a difference.

Agreed, and the fact that Daisy's show at the end quickly runs out of steam, along with Tim's comment that it's harder than it looks, drive that home.

Also "IT'S NOT FINISHED...IT'S FINISHED" is one of those comedy lines that will never be dislodged from my head.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: Shaxberd on July 01, 2024, 01:27:30 PMSeries 12 nadir Timequake, iirc, which is probably a lot more 'problematic' than Spaced due to being written about 20 years later.

Timewave. Wrong natural disaster.

Tags: