Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 17, 2024, 11:40:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Spaced chat (see here for DVD extras!)

Started by Magnum Valentino, June 27, 2024, 07:53:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

My child has picked up "I HADDA FORTA DAT!" and "EXCUZE BEEF!"* which would be difficult enough to explain in the UK circa 2004, let alone a Canadian 5 your old doing it 20+ years after broadcast.

*yeah it's a different character/show but come on it's still (hi) Reece (!) Shearsmith doing his silly voice.

The Mollusk

This show is such an intensely refined gem of comfort telly that I get anxious just thinking that there's only two series, which is a worryingly finite amount of binge watching. I'm glad I don't have to worry about hangovers any more but the DVDs got rinsed to fuck over a takeaway pizza and a big bottle of fizzy pop back in the day.

Stinky Lomax

Quote from: Ferris on July 01, 2024, 02:19:54 PMMy child has picked up "I HADDA FORTA DAT!" and "EXCUZE BEEF!"* which would be difficult enough to explain in the UK circa 2004, let alone a Canadian 5 your old doing it 20+ years after broadcast.

*yeah it's a different character/show but come on it's still (hi) Reece (!) Shearsmith doing his silly voice.

Have you played her Reece's Carshare outtakes? She might pick up "AH'M A LICKLE LICKLE DANCEFLAP" as well!

Captain Z

Quote from: RFT on July 01, 2024, 10:41:50 AMI think my favourite joke in the whole series is the exchange where Brian's talking about the work he did with Vulva and Tim dismissively says "I can imagine", cut to the above nonsense, then Brian says "oh no, we did important work", and he remembers the exact same nonsense.

Yeah, same here. I'm an art philistine, and to this day that scene plays in my head whenever I encounter a mention of performance/modern art. It's perfect.

"It's not finished... It's finished" also one of my top 5 moments.

Steven88

Quote from: Stinky Lomax on July 01, 2024, 02:37:08 PMHave you played her Reece's Carshare outtakes? She might pick up "AH'M A LICKLE LICKLE DANCEFLAP" as well!
"Don't you mean queens!" from the Max & Paddy outtakes as well.

Walliams is perfect as Vulva. Shame he had to go and ruin things by doing anything else.

I've just watched through the first series and even though it's all deeply ground in and known and anticipated I still find little things to giggle at (like when Mike is doing security for their party and the door swings back and he's got his gun in his mouth).

Looking forward to series two and then rewatching them all again with the commentaries on.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: The Mollusk on June 28, 2024, 04:33:28 PM"STOP GAWPING YOU R*****S" (ableist slur)

There's also "Get off me ye Joey", referencing Joey Deacon from seventies Blue Peter I believe. American audience aren't going to get that one.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Zetetic on June 29, 2024, 08:11:23 AMa small part of the humour of the Tim/Mike relationship is obviously "oh they're a bit like a romantic couple, bit gay but they're not gay".)

There's also a mother son element to it, waiting outside to collect him and giving him his lunch like a doting mother and her little school child.

Inspector Norse

Still think "you can't drink a pint of Bovril!" whenever anyone orders Guinness in the pub

frajer

The Mollusk

Marsha has gotta be my favourite character. Three of my top lines:

(mouthing silently) "Good legs"

"Inconsoooolable" *flicks tongue in and out next to Brian's ear*

"I'll save the champers for the big day! I'm sure I can resist its charms till then."
(door closes)
(sound of cork popping)
"Wheeyyy"

There Be Rumblings

"Well, I'd best be getting off to Threshers, do the weekly shop"

Scoops

felt like doing something nice for myself this afternoon so ate two massive bowls of cereal and watched the clubbing episode. tyres dancing to the sounds in the flat is really a lovely bit of directing.

i was young enough when i saw it the first time that the drugs stuff went totally over my head, which is part of the magic of the episode, i suppose. nobody's shown taking a pill or even saying the word "ecstasy"* but they're all so On It that it can hardly be called subtle.

*except tyres, "sandwich of fun on ecstasy bread" etc

Jerzy Bondov

I never really got the clubbing one and then one day I went to a rave and had a cheeky pill and you know what, still don't get it. Not for me.

I still think "hey it's Tyres" every time Michael Smiley turns up in something. He inhabits that character so well and his hilarious dancing is on point.

madhair60

the last six minutes or so of the clubbing episode are beautiful, and make me want to cry

phantom_power

Yeah the fact that the whole "plot" is conveyed by quick glances at the clock and the increasing abandon of the characters is great. And it captures that thing where you are saying things because of the chemicals and it might be exaggerated and a load of nonsense but there is a truth in it and it brings people closer together

It's let down a bit by the fact that Tyres doesn't say "I love it when a plan comes together" as he's walking out of the club (I know Marsha says it in a later episode but it would have been perfect here as they're playing the A Team music).

Pink Gregory

Timothy B
Mike Le Watt
Happy Daiz
Twist o' Lemon
Wilfrid B*ramble
Brian Can't

Art Bear

Quote from: The Mollusk on July 03, 2024, 05:14:14 PMMarsha has gotta be my favourite character. Three of my top lines:

(mouthing silently) "Good legs"

"Inconsoooolable" *flicks tongue in and out next to Brian's ear*

"I'll save the champers for the big day! I'm sure I can resist its charms till then."
(door closes)
(sound of cork popping)
"Wheeyyy"

'A bottle of red, please'
'how many glasses?'
'one'

frajer

Bitter, Mike?

No, are you?

Would you like a pint of bitter, Mike?

Err yeh.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Scoops on July 03, 2024, 08:21:32 PMi was young enough when i saw it the first time that the drugs stuff went totally over my head, which is part of the magic of the episode, i suppose. nobody's shown taking a pill or even saying the word "ecstasy"* but they're all so On It that it can hardly be called subtle.

*except tyres, "sandwich of fun on ecstasy bread" etc

Yeah, that stuff is all the funnier for being implied. There's also the episode with the following (paraphrased) offer to Daisy from a delivery guy(?) played by Tony Way(?):

'Do you want one?'
'Er, I'll just have a half.'
'They're mints.'
'Yeah, I'll have half a mint.'

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on July 04, 2024, 02:14:09 PMYeah, that stuff is all the funnier for being implied. There's also the episode with the following (paraphrased) offer to Daisy from a delivery guy(?) played by Tony Way(?):

'Do you want one?'
'Er, I'll just have a half.'
'They're mints.'
'Yeah, I'll have half a mint.'

My memory might be playing I seem to remember that she first meets Tim in a cafe and he offers a mint or tic-tac, after saying something about it being crazy and seems to be turning the offer down, then says something like 'go on, I'll have a half'. When it's clear that it's actually a mint, she pretends she knew that all along as a way of saving face.

It's the house party episode where no-one turns up so they go upstairs to Marsha's daughters party instead.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Ignatius_S on July 04, 2024, 02:45:37 PMMy memory might be playing I seem to remember that she first meets Tim in a cafe and he offers a mint or tic-tac, after saying something about it being crazy and seems to be turning the offer down, then says something like 'go on, I'll have a half'. When it's clear that it's actually a mint, she pretends she knew that all along as a way of saving face.
The cafe chat is her mistaking Tim for a drug dealer and him being flattered.
"What are you looking for?"
"What have you got?"

I still imitate Marsha saying, "Happy anniversaryyyyyyy" when my best friend's wedding anniversary comes around.

Quote from: frajer on June 28, 2024, 10:51:25 AMMy dad got me into Day Today, Partridge and Brass Eye when I was little and that provided the rock-solid foundations for comedy appreciation, but Spaced came later and was the one that was mine...
It was some slightly older shows for me, but this (and the rest of your post) pretty much describes my experience too. It wasn't the first comedy that I discovered for myself, but it just hit differently. Dad never watched Brass Eye either, but he'd probably enjoy it if he did, which I can't quite imagine with Spaced. Even though Tim and Daisy were a decade or so older than me and my friends, it felt like it was made for us.

As with many an adolescent favourite, there is the worry that it'll seem a bit rubbish as an adult, but it still holds up. I've been introducing my girlfriend to some of my favourites recently, so perhaps a rewatch is in order.

For several years, I've been meaning to start a thread called "Spaced: Above and Beyond" about the show and the careers of Hynes, Pegg, Wright etc. I'm too lazy though, so this'll have to do. Perhaps the most unexpected turn was seeing Nick Frost playing a kung fu monk on post apocalypse show Into the Badlands.

Quote from: Scoops on June 28, 2024, 03:54:52 PMobviously not a very nice line to hear these days, but i don't read it as maliciously transphobic. the joke would work exactly the same way if tim had said "wanker" instead, for example, and i'm sure everyone involved in the show would much rather they'd written it that way in the first place.
I'm sure they'd write it differently now, but wouldn't having Tim be unambiguously insulting be worse? I don't think he was supposed to be seen as transphobic (which is backed up by Brian's lack of reaction), he just thought the phrase "non gender specific" was an example of Brian being pretentious. Perhaps now Tim would say "enby" instead.

Tim also calls Mike "bummer", but that seems to fly under the radar.

Jack Shaftoe

The mournful delivery of Marsha's 'Once again, the fruit of my loins has fucked off to Topshop with the housekeeping' is just brilliant

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 04, 2024, 02:57:44 PMEven though Tim and Daisy were a decade or so older than me and my friends, it felt like it was made for us.

There's always attempts at youth comedy but usually it turns out like As If or Skins or something. Very rare to get the writing/acting talent of Jess and Pegg in the same package and having Edgar Wright on hand was excellent good fortune. It meant they didn't have to spend half the time arguing with a director who didn't understand what they were going for and they had that extra bit of flair behind the camera.

Cracking support cast too, they couldn't get Julian Barratt for Brian but in steps Mark Heap to make the part his own.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: checkoutgirl on July 04, 2024, 03:16:13 PMThere's always attempts at youth comedy but usually it turns out like As If or Skins or something. Very rare to get the writing/acting talent of Jess and Pegg in the same package and having Edgar Wright on hand was excellent good fortune. It meant they didn't have to spend half the time arguing with a director who didn't understand what they were going for and they had that extra bit of flair behind the camera.

Cracking support cast too, they couldn't get Julian Barratt for Brian but in steps Mark Heap to make the part his own.

there's clearly bucketloads of chemistry between the cast as well, it's oozing out of the screen

I think a lot of 'youth' comedy tends towards being quite nasty and mean as well, which sometimes works, because being young is a procession of embarrassments and failures, but personally it never appealed to me.  Spaced has none of that and it's better for it.

Tags: