Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 18, 2024, 07:56:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Spaced chat (see here for DVD extras!)

Started by Magnum Valentino, June 27, 2024, 07:53:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thr0b

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 04, 2024, 02:57:44 PMThe cafe chat is her mistaking Tim for a drug dealer and him being flattered.
"What are you looking for?"
"What have you got?"

I still imitate Marsha saying, "Happy anniversaryyyyyyy" when my best friend's wedding anniversary comes around.
It was some slightly older shows for me, but this (and the rest of your post) pretty much describes my experience too. It wasn't the first comedy that I discovered for myself, but it just hit differently. Dad never watched Brass Eye either, but he'd probably enjoy it if he did, which I can't quite imagine with Spaced. Even though Tim and Daisy were a decade or so older than me and my friends, it felt like it was made for us.

As with many an adolescent favourite, there is the worry that it'll seem a bit rubbish as an adult, but it still holds up. I've been introducing my girlfriend to some of my favourites recently, so perhaps a rewatch is in order.

For several years, I've been meaning to start a thread called "Spaced: Above and Beyond" about the show and the careers of Hynes, Pegg, Wright etc. I'm too lazy though, so this'll have to do. Perhaps the most unexpected turn was seeing Nick Frost playing a kung fu monk on post apocalypse show Into the Badlands.
I'm sure they'd write it differently now, but wouldn't having Tim be unambiguously insulting be worse? I don't think he was supposed to be seen as transphobic (which is backed up by Brian's lack of reaction), he just thought the phrase "non gender specific" was an example of Brian being pretentious. Perhaps now Tim would say "enby" instead.

Tim also calls Mike "bummer", but that seems to fly under the radar.

That's just...well, it was a normal standby insult that 80s kids used. Tim and Mike are just overgrown kids - it's not used in a derogatory way as such, it's just a stupid bit of word salad.

See also - gaylord. And I'm not talking an Ox.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: thr0b on July 05, 2024, 01:58:38 PMThat's just...well, it was a normal standby insult that 80s kids used. Tim and Mike are just overgrown kids - it's not used in a derogatory way as such, it's just a stupid bit of word salad.

See also - gaylord. And I'm not talking an Ox.

Yeah, for me, the crudity of their language sort goes along with the late twenties pursuits of skateboarding, wrestling, war miming, paintball, robots, computer games, comics, weed, pills, house music and unemployment.

There's nothing wrong with any of these things particularly and I'm sure it would work with the mild transphobia and disableism removed but it's nothing too egregious and Jess and Simon aren't big disablist transphobes. It's the occasional bit of language and no ideology.

Pink Gregory

it's nice that that kind of language doesn't ruin one of Mike & Tim's best moments, where Tim just calls him a 'Big Ape'.  It's perfectly blunt without being profane, it's well judged and funnier that way.

There Be Rumblings

Quote from: thr0b on July 05, 2024, 01:58:38 PMTim and Mike are just overgrown kids - it's not used in a derogatory way as such, it's just a stupid bit of word salad.

It's reflective of their specific relationship, too. They've been best friends with each other since they were little kids, and have grown up together, so it's the sort of thing they would have called each other in the playground when they were eight and never grew out of. Tim wouldn't call Brian that, for example, it's just because it's Mike and that's what they've been calling each other since 1982.

Scoops

finished my rewatch yesterday. can only echo the sentiments everyone else has expressed, it's just such a warm, lovely show that still delights me after so many viewings and years. i'd forgotten the quite poignant shot of twist that transitions to brian's painting of her in the final montage, just a small note of melancholy while everything's wrapping up.

and then of course i had to go and skip to the end of the skip to the end doc, to see that final scene of tim and daisy with their baby to cap it all off.

Twilkes

Quote from: Scoops on July 06, 2024, 11:39:25 AMand then of course i had to go and skip to the end of the skip to the end doc, to see that final scene of tim and daisy with their baby to cap it all off.

I'd forgotten that - is that canon or just a silly bonus scene for the DVD?

I sometimes think they could make a follow-up episode, played totally straight and dramatic, of Daisy meeting Tim again after all these years, where Tim is a successful comic artist doing a book signing and Daisy has still been a bit of a drifter, both catching up and realigning again, until I realise that's basically the plot of Before Sunset.

thr0b

Ah, totally canon. There was a brief window where a third season was a possibility, but no more. That was always intended as a little thing to round it off.

checkoutgirl

What I should have said is "Dad, let's give Krull a try and we'll discuss it later".

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I was defending the fantasy genre with terminal intensity.

checkoutgirl

tick tock
tick tock
tick tock
tick tock
tick tock
tick tock
tick tock
tick tock
tick tock
tick tock
tick tock
tick tock
tick tock
tick tock
tick
Spoiler alert
come
[close]

Harlequin

i think part of why i love Spaced is that Daisy is one of the first sitcom faildaughters, and definitely one of the first popular british ones.

obviously elaine benes is the queen of this but for british sitcoms i feel like Daisy is like... the ur-example, espeecially for my generation and its immediate prior generation.

Harlequin

been rewatching it recently. not to pull The Card but i'm trans, and Tim's use of the T-slur in ep3 is... well, it's not great and it would rightfully not survive nowadays, but i think for the time it was made, and in the context (the late 90s, Tim is high as fuck on speed and in basically a small psychotic episode where he's hallucinating zombies)  it's used it's completely fine, and is clearly not done for a joke in itself, you're not meant to laugh at the idea of Vulva being a "t---y", more at tim just blurting out the worst shit he possibly could about them then and there.

so it gets a barely-scraped pass of "it's not great but it's tolerable" for me. didn't make me switch off, still having a surprising amount of laughs for something i've seen so many times on Dave as a youngling.

checkoutgirl

"Oh Mama, oh Daddy, let's all play kabaddi!".

Captain Z

There's so many great things about that specific scene. Like Tim's smug expression and "well, hm hm hm..." as he explains his Star Wars theory.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Captain Z on July 11, 2024, 08:23:15 PMThere's so many great things about that specific scene. Like Tim's smug expression and "well, hm hm hm..." as he explains his Star Wars theory.

That confuses me. If this bit of the fictional story didn't happen then this bit wouldn't have happened which means this could happen. Well yeah, it's fiction and was written that way by a man. It's nothing to do with chance.

Probably missing the point as it portrays that nerdy obsession with comic book and sci-fi type stuff by nerds.

Is that the episode where Daisy does her Jamie Oliver impression?

Ferris

Re: stupid Star Wars references.

"You Lando!"

"What do you mean he's been abducted?"
"By a crocodile or something."
"A crocodile?!"
"... Or something."

Enzo

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 12, 2024, 03:54:39 PM"What do you mean he's been abducted?"
"By a crocodile or something."
"A crocodile?!"
"... Or something."
Jessica's delivery of "NO, BRIAN!" in this scene is a thing of absolute beauty.

Quote from: Enzo on July 12, 2024, 11:32:50 PM"Bogling to ASWAD!"
That was research!

It's not really a point in its favour as a comedy, but it was quite a stylish show. There was Wright's direction, obviously, but also (while dated) the soundtrack featured loads of good tunes and both Tim and Daisy's wardrobes were pretty trendy too. If you want a time capsule of the turn of the century, you could do a lot worse.

Twilkes

I remember buying the soundtrack and it turning me onto a host of Piero Umiliani works, of which this album had by far the least grubby origins:

mrpupkin

Sorry to shock everyone with a steaming take but does anyone else feel series 2 was a big drop off? I don't know if it's just because I got series 1 on VHS when it came out and grew really attached to it, then it took me a while to see series 2 (maybe it wasn't released on vhs, only dvd? Can any nerds confirm?). Then when I did see it it felt a bit off.

Anyway it still seems that way to me when rewatching. Series one perfect, series two basically classic 'second series syndrome' and not a patch on the first.

Stinky Lomax

I think it's very close in quality, but it has a couple of weak points - specifically, when it decides to spend most of an episode spoofing a single movie. Unfortunately, one of these is the opening episode with all that Matrix stuff (the other is the Cuckoo's Nest one which is otherwise fantastic) so the series gets off to a bit of a rum start.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 13, 2024, 02:32:33 AMThat was research!

It's not really a point in its favour as a comedy, but it was quite a stylish show. There was Wright's direction, obviously, but also (while dated) the soundtrack featured loads of good tunes and both Tim and Daisy's wardrobes were pretty trendy too. If you want a time capsule of the turn of the century, you could do a lot worse.

This and Shaun of the Dead are peak Wright direction IMO. I agree with the term "stylish", the tightness of the cuts and sound effects are extremely satisfying. He went overboard with Baby Driver though, total indulgence of "what if a whole film was like one of those music videos where everything goes in time with the beat" which works much better in 3 minutes bursts and not a feature film.

dontpaintyourteeth

Jack Shaftoe

Quote from: The Mollusk on July 13, 2024, 11:30:14 AMThis and Shaun of the Dead are peak Wright direction IMO. I agree with the term "stylish", the tightness of the cuts and sound effects are extremely satisfying. He went overboard with Baby Driver though, total indulgence of "what if a whole film was like one of those music videos where everything goes in time with the beat" which works much better in 3 minutes bursts and not a feature film.

Also, the main guy was completely charmless, which didn't help. I have a lot of love for The World's End, although that one does seem to leave a lot of people cold. Possibly it's another one where all the music was from a very formative part of my life, and I really related to Pegg's character as a fellow sixth-form goth. Also had a great Tharg's Future Tales sort of vibe, particularly at the very end.

mrpupkin

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on July 13, 2024, 11:42:18 AMI have a lot of love for The World's End, although that one does seem to leave a lot of people cold. Possibly it's another one where all the music was from a very formative part of my life, and I really related to Pegg's character as a fellow sixth-form goth. Also had a great Tharg's Future Tales sort of vibe, particularly at the very end.

I rewatched this recently and liked it more than I expected to. Found the ending a bit much personally but otherwise its pretty amiable and a good way to round off the Vienetta trilogy or whatever. Feels of a piece with the other two without rehashing them.

Quote from: The Mollusk on July 13, 2024, 11:30:14 AMHe went overboard with Baby Driver though, total indulgence of "what if a whole film was like one of those music videos where everything goes in time with the beat"
That's basically exactly what it was.

I wouldn't say there was a steep drop off between series, but I definitely hold the first in slightly higher esteem. That's in part due to my own idiosyncratic reasons. Series one was this epochal event for my friends and me, which series two couldn't hope to match. Also, the first has a cosy autumnal feel that really appeals to me.

Chalk me up as another fan of The World's End. It's perhaps not quite as funny as the other Cornetto films, but it's not exactly a slog either. I think it also has the most interesting stuff to say of the trilogy (although how coherently it says any of it is debatable, I suppose). Coming from Milton Keynes, the new town stuff really resonates with me. The only thing about it that really bothers me is that the aliens' signature colour should have been green, to match the mint Cornetto.

Speaking of divisive films, a lot of people seemed to really hate Scott Pilgrim. I thought it was an absolute blast, although, having subsequently read them, the comics do have a better story.

Baby Driver was the big letdown for me. The car chases weren't all that impressive and the synchronised music thing didn't really add much (and didn't even make sense, when it was the other characters doing it). That's all based on my hazy memories of seeing it in the cinema, so maybe I should give it another go, but the presence of Kevin Spacey is rather off-putting.

Tags: