Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 18, 2024, 08:07:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Frank Sidebottoms’s Big Night Out

Started by TheJam-Fest, June 30, 2024, 08:28:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheJam-Fest

Always been fascinated Frank but I'm ashamed to admit never got round to investigating.This morning I watched 'Frank Sidebottoms fantastic shed show' for the first time and a couple of things struck me which I would like to hear opinions on.
The first is this..WOW,what a show.it looks like he made the entire thing himself,down to the credits.This was pre-internet,pre-photoshop,the guy was a certified genius,coupled with a sort of punk attitude it's the best thing I've discovered for ages!Happy times and my kids enjoyed it too so double win.
The second thing is possibly contentious.While I was watching it kept occurring to me that it was remarkably similar in many many ways to Vic Reeves Big Night Out.The homemade aesthetic,the anarchic,almost violent approach to humour.i haven't looked into it but it must be round about the same time.Was Vic a big Chris Sievy fan,does anyone know of one onsipred the other or am I reading too much into it and it's just a similar show?
While I'm here can I also say I'm reading Jem Robert's book on clue just now and I can honestly say it's one of the best books I've ever read!I think he used to post on here as Jemble Fred,so if you see this Jem well done what an amazing book.The level of detail is astounding,it was great to read about the ISIRTA days as I don't known much about that period.

madhair60

also worth checking out "Proper Telly Show", all on YouTube last time I checked.

TheJam-Fest

Just popped by with a paddle to beat out the wild-fire of interest this sparked.
And now,back to the shadows.

Tiggles

Love Frank. Such a massive part of my childhood and Chris Sievy was a true artist. Frank slightly predated Vic and Bob in terms of getting on telly but I think there were quite a few mad character performers with a chaotic DIY ethic at the time; they probably all influenced or at least encouraged each other to some extent. Your post prodded me into rewatching the first episode of Vic Reeves Big Night Out and I was pleased that it was as stupid and nonsensical and joyous as I remembered it, so thanks for that.

Timperley honours Frank well.

darby o chill

Just chiming in to add 'Being Frank: The Chris Sievey Story (2018)' is fucking remarkable. Lovely interviews with his ex-wife Paula, his kids, bandmates and assorted comedians. Plus brilliant archive camcorder footage. Insanely good ★★★★★

Rolf Lundgren

Also recommend Mick Middles' book Frank Sidebottom: Out of His Head. It really shows how dedicated Chris Sievey was across all aspects of his life. A true one-off.

Don't know if it's still there but there was a shaky YouTube video of Frank turning up a local summer fete. I'm pretty sure he wasn't billed to be there, just decided to rock up in his suit and his head and wander about chatting to people. Then he slips off to his car with as little fanfare as when he arrived. Something about the whole interaction sums him up for me.

Never thought about the Vic Reeves connection but suspect it's more coincidence than inspiration.

Tiggles

Great article by Jon Ronson in The Guardian from around the time of Frank (the Fassbender film, which I really enjoyed) was released.

In danger of going down the Frank Sidebottom rabbit hole, yet again.

jobotic

Crunk

Quote from: TheJam-Fest on July 02, 2024, 08:47:04 PMJust popped by with a paddle to beat out the wild-fire of interest this sparked.
And now,back to the shadows.

git gud, scrub

poodlefaker

There is a similar vibe in the first series of the Eric Andre Show, which when I first saw it reminded me of Big Night Out crossed with Brass Eye.

Glebe

Tiggles

"That's the stupidest thing I've ever done in my life!"

- glorious stuff.

Hobo With A Shit Pun

Quote from: Tiggles on July 02, 2024, 10:29:59 PMGreat article by Jon Ronson in The Guardian from around the time of Frank (the Fassbender film, which I really enjoyed) was released.

In danger of going down the Frank Sidebottom rabbit hole, yet again.

Just read the ebook that article's Condensed from - very good, although only about 80 pages for three fifty from Amazon.

madhair60

Quote from: Goldentony on June 21, 2010, 04:54:04 PMdjtrees of this forum should be able to tell this story better, since he told me, but apparently Frank was once performing at Liverpool Central Library, and after the show was comedically arsing around outside, with his manager trying to calm him down telling him it was time to go home and whatnot, suddenly Frank spots a white taxi out of the corner of his eye coming towards him, proclaims to himself out lout "Oh, a white taxi, that's magic that is!!!!!!" hails it, and drives off into the distance.

Everyone stands round for a bit, until someone eventually pipes up asking where he's gone. The manager just says "I don't know".

TheJam-Fest

Thanks everyone for replying,lots to read and watch there,the more I watch of this the more I regret not seeing it sooner!Think I'm going to get the mick middle book rolf mentioned above and I'd love to see the documentary.
I think it probably is just a coincidence and the style of the time but I'd love someone to ask vic if frank was an influence

poodlefaker

Man with the Stick is pretty Frank-ish I guess, but I'd imagine they had similar mindsets/influences rather than being influenced directly be each other. Harry Hill was doing similar stuff around the same time, but with him I get more of a feeling that he saw Vic & Bob and had a revelation; don't know if he's ever spoken about it.

djtrees

QuoteQuote from: Goldentony on June 21, 2010, 04:54:04 PM & madhair60 - Today at 04:55:47 PM

djtrees of this forum should be able to tell this story better, since he told me, but apparently Frank was once performing at Liverpool Central Library, and after the show was comedically arsing around outside, with his manager trying to calm him down telling him it was time to go home and whatnot, suddenly Frank spots a white taxi out of the corner of his eye coming towards him, proclaims to himself out lout "Oh, a white taxi, that's magic that is!!!!!!" hails it, and drives off into the distance.

Everyone stands round for a bit, until someone eventually pipes up asking where he's gone. The manager just says "I don't know".
Yep. This. Also there is photographic evidence of this gig on the internet with a gormless looking 17 year old me in the crowd. Please don't look for it.

As someone who I think was profoundly infuenced by Frank as a young un, I haven't really clicked with his telly stuff. I first heard him on the radio and it absolutely blew my mind with how ridiculous it was. A few years later I was seeing him live every other week seemingly. Nothing can really beat watching the mayhem unfold live.

The telly stuff is great obviously cos its Frank fucking Sidebottom, but it is a poor second to is mad radio program, and miles behind the glorious spectacle of him live.

I hadn't put Big Night Out with him, but it was around the same kind of time, but Frank had more of a character backstory, rather than the sketch show nature of R&M. Well that's my two pennies worth.

Love Frank me.

Tags: