Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 17, 2024, 11:15:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Headsup: John Finnemore's Souvenir Programme - 2024 Special

Started by Johnny Yesno, July 01, 2024, 12:20:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Yesno

I nearly missed this, hence the late post: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001zlz4

QuoteReleased On: 27 May 2024
Available for over a year

This year's show is all about the village John has moved into since last year's show - and the very big, collective decision that they made last night.

Written and presented by ... John Finnemore
Ensemble ... Margaret Cabourn-Smith
Ensemble ... Simon Kane
Ensemble ... Lawry Lewin
Ensemble ... Carrie Quinlan

Original music composed by ... Susannah Pearse
Theme tune arranged by ... Susannah Pearse
Theme tune performed by ... Susannah Pearse & Sally Stares

Studio managers ... Chris Maclean & Jon Calver
Sound design ... Rich Evans
Production coordinator ... Katie Baum
Executive producer ... Richard Morris
Producer ... Ed Morrish

An EcoAudio certified production
A BBC Studios Audio production

MojoJojo

Thanks for the heads up on this.

I did relisten of all of them* last year, and it did confirm my belief that it had been going downhill a bit and switching to yearly specials is probably a good thing. Finnemore fatigue might explain some of it, but it was very noticeable in season 8 that the gag rate had really dropped, and a lot of sketches just had a punchline with no jokes before.

*not series 9. I don't know when if I'll ever give that the attention it needs.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: MojoJojo on July 01, 2024, 01:53:59 PMThanks for the heads up on this.

I did relisten of all of them* last year, and it did confirm my belief that it had been going downhill a bit and switching to yearly specials is probably a good thing. Finnemore fatigue might explain some of it, but it was very noticeable in season 8 that the gag rate had really dropped, and a lot of sketches just had a punchline with no jokes before.

*not series 9. I don't know when if I'll ever give that the attention it needs.

Yes, I think the yearly specials are a good move for the reason you say. I enjoyed the change of format for this one.

studpuppet

Yes - thanks for the heads up - although I'm now listen to series 9 again because it's possibly the best bit of radio produced ever.

SirDoris

Quite enjoyed this. Not quite as laugh-out-loud funny as some of Finnemore's other stuff, but a nice gentle puzzle box of a story with a touching little ending.

Spoiler alert
Also, I used to volunteer at a local church that was always on the verge of closing, and so "the ecclesiastical version of the film Speed" felt like a punchline aimed directly at my heart.
[close]

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: studpuppet on July 02, 2024, 12:21:16 PMYes - thanks for the heads up - although I'm now listen to series 9 again because it's possibly the best bit of radio produced ever.

I reckon if I'd been able to give Series 9 the attention it deserved, I might agree with you. I should give it another go but I just don't have the brain power at the moment.

This special, on the other hand, was much easier to follow but still had the satisfying puzzle box story, as SirDoris puts it.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: SirDoris on July 02, 2024, 01:14:47 PM
Spoiler alert
Also, I used to volunteer at a local church that was always on the verge of closing, and so "the ecclesiastical version of the film Speed" felt like a punchline aimed directly at my heart.
[close]

Aw but also lol.

Andy147

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on July 03, 2024, 12:24:41 PMI reckon if I'd been able to give Series 9 the attention it deserved, I might agree with you. I should give it another go but I just don't have the brain power at the moment.

You could always cheat with the timeline that someone produced.

I'd agree with the comment above that Series 8 was much weaker than the others. (I'd probably have said that Series 7 had been a bit of a drop-off from the first 6, except that the last episode was a work of genius).

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Andy147 on July 03, 2024, 09:36:51 PMYou could always cheat with the timeline that someone produced.

Thanks. There was also a partial family tree posted by a fan on twitter at the time of broadcast but it's gone now.

studpuppet

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on July 04, 2024, 02:03:17 PMThanks. There was also a partial family tree posted by a fan on twitter at the time of broadcast but it's gone now.

Thi
Quote from: Johnny Yesno on July 04, 2024, 02:03:17 PMThanks. There was also a partial family tree posted by a fan on twitter at the time of broadcast but it's gone now.

There's this one on Reddit, but it's not very good (i.e. misses out the most important connection, which is why I haven't stuck it behind a spoiler).

Tags: