Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 17, 2024, 11:18:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Rob Auton

Started by Seagullsim, July 06, 2024, 01:58:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seagullsim

Over the years, Rob Auton has been recommended to me a few times, but i've always missed the opportunity to see him for one reason or another. I've finally bought tickets to see his Edinburgh Fringe show, but he's done a couple of interviews recently that makes it sound like the sort of show I'm not going to enjoy - heavy on audience participation, sensory experiences etc.

Has anyone been to see him that could reassure me that it'll be worthwhile?

Cheers !

dontpaintyourteeth

Find him a bit plastic personally.

dissolute ocelot

I've seen him many times at Edinburgh, from the days he'd do a tiny cave on the Free Fringe to his current bigger venues with tickets. At his best he is really good, funny in an absurd, quirky way, but also kind of filling you with warmth and feelgood vibes and joy for the human race. At least when it works - with him doing a themed show every year, sometimes it does feel like you have to wait a long time for a joke and it's a teeny bit forced.

As for audience participation, picking on or humiliating people isn't his thing at all. He talks to people a bit and does get the audience collectively to shout stuff out, and sometimes has some people up doing stuff, but he won't force anyone.

Twilkes

He bought the whole audience flapjacks the year I went.

Tiggles

I only saw him for the first time a few weeks ago and I found him clever, funny and humane, even though he didn't give us any flapjacks. I'm definitely going to see him in Edinburgh.

dontpaintyourteeth

He's no shop dummy, that's fer sure!!

Pranet

I saw him on tour earlier this year, I don't remember much in the way of audience participation. But obviously this will be a new show. But yeah as dissolute ocelot said his vibe really isn't to make a dick of anyone or make them uncomfortable.

Johnboy

I enjoy his podcast.

TheDevilPuppet

He's fucking great.  Like someone up there said - a thematically linked show means some bits are a bit less of a peak than others, but nothing is ever filler.  It's all very well considered. 

Rowcher

Second Ocelot's opinion, he's a great bunch of lads.

Does anyone know what's happened to his daily podcast? I thought he was doing another year of it, but the episodes stopped in June on my feed.

madhair60

the united colours of rob auton

Mr Trumpet

He used to be a regular at a poetry night I went to in South London. He was very funny there doing 5-minute routines. Went to a full show on the strength of those and it wasn't nearly as good. The fun surrealism gave way to a very very earnest, interminable monologue about the state of the world. I don't recall there being any punchline.

TheDevilPuppet

Quote from: Rowcher on July 06, 2024, 10:24:25 PMSecond Ocelot's opinion, he's a great bunch of lads.

Does anyone know what's happened to his daily podcast? I thought he was doing another year of it, but the episodes stopped in June on my feed.

He said with the tour and writing a new show he couldn't commit to a full year again

Snrub

Series 2 of the podcast had a couple of false starts I think and now it's on hiatus. I'm sure I saw some pictures of him recording some Season 2 episodes almost 18 months ago so it obviously must be quite hard graft burning through material and I'm guessing some bits are directly from his stand up shows past

I do wonder if series 1 going the full year may well have been partly down to Covid due to the amount of free time he likely had.

None of this is a complaint by the way, I genuinely really miss not listening to a new episode of the podcast every day

I agree Rob seems a GBOL and I think more than a lot of many other comedians I know, he has a very beautiful way with words, and I mean that in the very purest way of the word beautiful

Chequemate

I've never seen him before but I'm booked for the fringe this year having found out about him from lurking here! Looking forward to it

I actually screwed up my booking dates the first time, so I've got a free ticket for his Edinburgh show on the 31st of July if anyone can make use of it? Looks like it's just a QR code I can pass on.

Seagullsim

Cheers all. As long as he's not the sort of person to pick on people in the audience, or take the piss out of anyone that doesn't want to participate, I'll give it a chance. Might tuck myself right at the back, just in case.

Twilkes

Quote from: Seagullsim on July 07, 2024, 03:57:26 PMCheers all. As long as he's not the sort of person to pick on people in the audience, or take the piss out of anyone that doesn't want to participate, I'll give it a chance. Might tuck myself right at the back, just in case.

Honestly, he'll likely be more scared of you than you are of him, although he'll cover it up with a relaxed northern craic.

Tags: