Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 18, 2024, 08:08:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ellen DeGeneres' new stand-up tour sounds like a desolate fun night out

Started by M-CORP, July 07, 2024, 01:19:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M-CORP

https://feeds.bbci.co.uk/news/articles/c047kdzprgjo

QuoteUS broadcaster and comic Ellen DeGeneres has cancelled four dates on her stand-up comedy tour.
"Unfortunately, the event organiser has had to cancel your event," said a note on Ticketmaster's website, listing shows in Dallas, San Francisco, Seattle and Chicago as the ones affected.
It is unclear why the dates have been dropped as other dates in those cities are still going ahead. The tour is currently scheduled to run until 17 August.
It marks her return to the spotlight two years after the cancellation of the Ellen DeGeneres talk show, after employees accused executive producers over "toxic workplace" claims.
Three producers were fired amid allegations of misconduct and sexual harassment and DeGeneres apologised on air, but in May 2021 she announced the show would end the following year, after 19 seasons.
In April, she opened the first night of Ellen's Last Stand... Up Tour by saying: "I didn't care what other people thought of me, and I realised... I said that at the height of my popularity".
DeGeneres told the Los Angeles crowd she had been doing lots of gardening since the show ended and collecting chickens as pets - adding that as a former talk show host she appreciated the pressure of having to lay an egg each day.
"What else can I tell you?" she added.
"Oh yeah, I got kicked out of show business. There's no mean people in show business."
The stand-up show will be released on Netflix, which broadcast her previous stand-up gig, Relatable, in 2018.
DeGeneres' TV career began with her popular sitcom Ellen in 1994, in which she played the owner of a book shop.
In her opening gig, she referenced her talk show being cancelled after she came out as gay.
"For those of you keeping score, this is the second time I've been kicked out of show business... Eventually they're going to kick me out for a third time because I'm mean, old, and gay," she said.
She also said that having been in the public for so long, the takedown she experienced has "been such a toll on my ego and my-self esteem".
"There's such extremes in this business, people either love you and idolise you or they hate you, and those people somehow are louder," she added.
Her talk show began in 2003 and grew in popularity; in 2016 she received the Presidential Medal of Freedom from President Obama.
The BBC has contacted DeGeneres' representatives for comment.

Memorex MP3

Her whole chat show thing was really baffling, the premise always seemed to be that she's the loveliest most cuddly kind person ever but like... that was never her act as a standup was it?

Was it just some kind of collective guilt over how horrible the industry was to her after she came out?

Famous Mortimer

Her sitcom lasted too long and was never all that good; it did seem like her coming out got more eyes on the show, which perhaps worked against her as they got to actually see it and make their minds up. I'm sure the publicity didn't help it with more conservative audiences, but they weren't watching the quirky big city adventures of a bookstore owner.

The only times I watched her chat show was when Cardinals third baseman David Freese was on there to meet a couple who got married due to his World Series heroics - other than that, it was the occasional clip on Youtube Shorts or whatever. I just read it wasn't a network show, but first run syndication, so all they needed was a few channels saying they didn't want to be associated with the mean lady and it stopped being profitable. I guess, I have no idea. If she'd not said how lovely she was, or had just not been a shitty boss in the first place, I assume it'd still be going now. Saying she was thrown off the talk show for being gay is some premier revisionism, though.

M-CORP

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 07, 2024, 02:49:33 PMSaying she was thrown off the talk show for being gay is some premier revisionism, though.

I certainly found it odd that she was comparing being thrown off her sitcom for being gay to being thrown off her chat show for 'being mean'. In any case, the show had been running for 19 years, which is not really the situation for self-pity, whatever Ellen may or may not have had to do with the allegations that damaged the ratings. But then this is the same person who said being isolated in her large house during the COVID lockdown was like being in jail, to much backlash.

Mister Six

Quote from: M-CORP on July 07, 2024, 01:19:23 PMIn her opening gig, she referenced her talk show being cancelled after she came out as gay.

That's an error on the writer's part, right? It was the sitcom that was cancelled, not the talk show. The quote after it doesn't seem to back up the claim.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 07, 2024, 02:49:33 PMHer sitcom lasted too long and was never all that good; it did seem like her coming out got more eyes on the show, which perhaps worked against her

It was on during the broadcast era in the nineties where ratings and ad revenue ruled the roost and falling ratings would mean cancellation. Under those circumstances, presumably it lasted as long as it was deemed worth it and any new eyeball would be a good thing. It was shite but so are most of the big ratings winning comedies, too numerous to mention.

Ellen should be very careful when complaining about being kicked out of show business when her two main shows had massive long runs and netted her hundreds of millions. Although having a stand up show to do, she's got to have something to be moaning about.

I'd give her her due for being a gay battering ram into the culture and normalising queerness as she's a huge star. You might say being gay suited her career purposes at the time but lets put it in the positive pile anyway.

somersetchris

Quote from: Mister Six on July 07, 2024, 03:57:48 PMThat's an error on the writer's part, right? It was the sitcom that was cancelled, not the talk show. The quote after it doesn't seem to back up the claim.

Her talk show was cancelled after she came out. 25 years after she came out, but still.

Urinal Cake

Quote from: Memorex MP3 on July 07, 2024, 01:28:18 PMHer whole chat show thing was really baffling, the premise always seemed to be that she's the loveliest most cuddly kind person ever but like... that was never her act as a standup was it?

Was it just some kind of collective guilt over how horrible the industry was to her after she came out?
I think it was because she out-Oprahed Oprah in terms of audience engagement and interaction due to social media, YouTube etc. A lot of ordinary people are worthwhile too, not just celebrities.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 07, 2024, 02:49:33 PMHer sitcom lasted too long and was never all that good; it did seem like her coming out got more eyes on the show, which perhaps worked against her as they got to actually see it and make their minds up. I'm sure the publicity didn't help it with more conservative audiences, but they weren't watching the quirky big city adventures of a bookstore owner.

This seems to be the case, with the added issue that once the character came out as being gay, that became the main focus of the show, to the extent that some LGBT people called it too gay.

TIL: The first season of Ellen was called "These Friends of Mine".

idunnosomename

dissolute ocelot

The original Ellen sitcom was cancelled after 5 seasons/109 episodes which definitely suggests it was being strung out so it could go into syndication. Also it was retooled a lot during its run, with Ellen initially a slacker type who later bought the bookshop, changing theme tunes, new title as MojoJojo mentioned, significant cast changes (the funny Arye Gross leaving for no clear reason; Piven and Joely Fisher arriving), the bookshop being destroyed in an earthquake or something, and a bunch of other things. So clearly a lot of network dissatisfaction with it, and the surprise was that it lasted as long as it did. I actually quite liked season 1.

Edit: I also like the detail from the show's Wikipedia page that one character's catchphrase was "Hi, Ellen!" (the dependable Clea Lewis as Audrey).

wrec

I thought her chat show persona was being horrible to people in a lol only joking kind of way? And she bullied Mariah Carey into admitting she was pregnant, and therefore having to announce a miscarriage shortly after. She's an abusive bully who everyone hates now, so a standup tour seems a bit of a desperate gambit.

Tags: