Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 17, 2024, 12:20:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The new "What Stand Up Have You Seen Lately?" thread

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 16, 2016, 08:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: edwardfog on July 05, 2024, 10:07:51 AMThat's sick I'm very excited to see that show in Edinburgh. I liked Lou Wall vs The Internet a lot. More comics should be too relentless

PS just FYI I believe Lou's pronouns are they/their

Ah, I didn't know that, but thanks for the heads up.

Quote from: Pink Gregory on July 05, 2024, 09:33:43 PMStephanie Laing - WIP

comic...dance?  It sounds horrible, but I can assure you it's not.  Loads of fun, brimming over with nervous energy but certainly in need of a bit more connective tissue.  The show, not Laing, she has all of her arms and legs.  If I had one criticism it would be that there's a routine about a fairly serious topic in the middle and it's kind of dropped in your lap in a way that feels haphazard and a bit jarring.  Maybe a bit closer to variety than comedy but that's no bad thing.

Really pleased to read the above, Stephanie was on the open mic circuit at the same time as I was and even during those early gigs you could tell she was naturally funny and deserved to make it big in the industry.

Pink Gregory

naturally funny is entirely correct.  Very safe hands for quite a risky show with a lot of dance that isn't expressly played for laughs and is done with at least a degree of sincerity.

Pink Gregory

Stephen Carlin - WIP

I'm sure Carlin is something of a known quantity in here.  Unfortunately I can't write much because I got two hours' sleep last night and I was desperately trying to stay awake for the entire hour.

Somewhat threatening scottish man in full tracksuit makes the ha ha words.  Had a routine where he must have said 'paedophile' about one hundred times.

The Mollusk

Norman Lovett at the Black Heart last night was adorably doddering, basically being a daft old bloke, telling few proper jokes and instead meandering into pointless anecdotes, making a point of slowly setting up and checking the timer on his phone etc. He did say he'd had COVID about a year back and it affected his memory a fair bit but he seemed to enjoy playing into that, and he knew a crowd of metalhead Dwarf fans would allow him whatever leeway he needed and just coasted on that goodwill.

Despite that sounding a bit shit/tragic he is still a naturally endearing comic presence and had the room cracking up throughout. Even before the set, he walked past and went backstage and bashed his arse on a wall fixture squeezing round an obstacle, and did a bunch of performative silent gestures of mild pain and irritance which was somehow really funny.

To top it off he came back onstage after the set for a Q&A which was similarly meandering but very sweet to hear him chat about Red Dwarf with some basic "what's your fave episode" questions. Lovely stuff.

Pink Gregory

Burt Williamson - WIP

actually it had a title but it's long so I don't remember it.

Comes highly recommended by terrifying Fringe critic Kate Copstick, so it is told.

Was a bit wary at first, he's got a very low-key, conversational style of delivery, and for about twenty minutes I felt as if the (accomplished and fresh feeling) material was being let down by the delivery, this however warmed up fairly quickly and may have been a casualty of a small crowd at 1.15 in the afternoon on a rainy saturday.

Doesn't seem accurate to describe the show as having much of a theme other than a jumping off point for routines about working with kids who talk about being 'alphas', where your blood ends up when you donate it, and motor neurone disease.  Very confident and likeable performer with just a hint of an edge to save it from cosiness.

Pink Gregory

Caitriona Dowden - Holier than Thou

this was fun and unusual.  Dowden performs in an almost extreme yet gentle deadpan, which I found a bit of a struggle over an hour's show, but I felt like I hadn't much to compare them to.  Routines about catholic saints, lactating christs' holy oil, and persuading Michael Gove of the value of the Twilight books.  Stuff you can get your teeth into a bit.

lauraxsynthesis

I was also at the Norman Lovett gig at Andrew O'Neill's Troy Club last night. It was a great audience for him - a fair few Red Dwarf fans and folks accustomed to alternative comedy. We'd also been warmed up with some understated whimsy earlier in the evening from Johnny White Really-Really. A young fella in the front row who turned out to be a RD fan said, as soon as Norm came onstage, "They're dead, Dave" and Norm was a totally good sport and carried on with a bit of "They're all dead, Dave" before telling us he's in the new series. I love how indiscreet most of the cast are before the official announcements. We got some prop comedy, some made up stories, some autobiographical stories like him getting into a physical fight with a taxi driver and coming out of Covid the same week The Promised Land was broadcast. A lot of it was having to watch quietly to see what he was going to surprise us with -
Spoiler alert
like taking a plastic bag out of his pocket, filling it with air and letting it float a bit while he held it.
[close]
I thought this is probably something he's been doing since the '80s and somehow that made it even more fun. Squidy was there and he said there were 2 or 3 bits he'd seen before but it's like eggs - they're just ingredients but the whole cake is the thing. Lovett seemed to be enjoying himself, and there was just lots of joy in the room.

When he went off, Andrew did a quick check and came back to ask if we'd like a Q&A. We cheered so Lovett came back and joined Andrew and answered loads of questions mostly about Red Dwarf. Andrew told us that Norm used to open for The Clash, and Norm said he did Madness as well. They're hoping to arrange Lovett doing his slide show at The Troy Club, so that should be worth going to.

Memorex MP3

Went to Norman Lovett on a whim at the Fringe on my first visit not really knowing his stuff at all and loved it, just a lovely charming gentle presence.

Very weird bit of praise but he felt like one of very few comedy acts I can think of who seems like he'd thrive in almost empty venues.

Small Man Big Horse

An evening out at the Museum Of Comedy:

Sean Burke (WIP) - Forty minutes of what felt like an open mic-er doing his first hour far too soon, but which wasn't horrible, and then it ended with a really awful Professor Brian Cox impression that drained all of the good will I had for the man. 1.5/5

Eleanor Morton (WIP) - This feels like it could be a really good show in a couple of months time but there's only the bones of it so far, Morton does have some great jokes but there were a few too many times where a story ended without a pay off for me to be raving about it just yet. 3.5/5

Maria Telnikoff: All the Men Are Going to Hate Me (WIP) - Whereas I was impressed by this a lot, even if Telnikoff described the show as a "hot mess" at the end but promised it'd be much more polished by Edinburgh. But apart from a couple of moments I thought this was the finished product, and it's a refreshingly daft mix of character comedy, dance and stand up that made me laugh a good deal, and they have a real way with words that impressed me a lot. 4.25/5

Tiggles

Went to the Saturday matinee show of the Just The Tonic Comedy Shindig shows in the beautiful gardens of beautiful Melbourne Hall, the rich bastards (not Just The Tonic).

Anyway, Ian Smith and Lou Sanders were reliably funny and enjoyable. They both have an instinct for what's funny in their own, slightly-off-the-mainstream ways and it's very easy for me to enjoy it. I particularly enjoyed how awkward my 20-something nephew felt about Lou's chat up lines, that is definitely the mean auntie in me. I've now seen her do short sets on mixed bills about five times and I'd love to see how she shapes a show when the audience is all hers, but sadly I suspect I'm away when she comes to Manchester next spring.

Spencer Jones was headlining and is someone who I've heard mixed things about but never seen, and I was worried I might end up irritated. Glad to say I was bowled over completely by the complete nonsense of it all. Uncontrollable laughter at times. I can totally see why people might not take to it, but I found myself immediately booking a ticket for his tour in the autumn.

Daniel Kitson compèred, he used about 45 seconds of prepared material, and he was effortlessly ace. God, I hope he writes another stand up-ish show again at some point (even though I know he says he's no longer interested in the form).

Pink Gregory

Nate Kitch - WIP

an explosion of invention and silliness, the compere called him the 'Captain Beefheart of the Oxford Comedy Scene' and that's about accurate, although I would say having seen him a few times that this particular show (ostensibly about isolation and hope) benefits heavily from the element of surprise.  That being said more bits than fewer hit the same each time, maybe he just needs to work out which ones.  Very absurdist to the point I could see someone bouncing hard off it but he's a massive burst of energy.

Pink Gregory

Katie Mitchell - Wretch

Goth comedian - not comedy goth - Katie Mitchell continues as she means to go on being a hugely impressive and inventive act.  A more embryonic show this time, certainly the first time I've seen comedy with a clarinet.  Similarly to her previous show there's some fairly heavy stuff about things in her personal life that tie the themes together; when it's tuned up I reckon this'll feel like a very accomplished show.

She also mimes transforming into a rat and says 'Draclea' a lot. 

Pink Gregory

David Hoare - WIP

this was fun, musical comedy but in the form of one liners, very strong out the gate and consistently entertaining but I reckon it struggled to sustain itself for an hour, very much a case of the performance outpacing the fairly standard "I'm 35 and I have ADHD!" material. 

Pink Gregory

Sooz Kempner - Class of 2000

Sooz continues as she means to go on, bit o' multimedia, bit o' singing, most of the time I've seen her it's also been a WIP so some of the same routines do come up, but they're still good routines, though it does feel like they're approaching a shtick, almost as if the show is a bit of an audition piece.

Being in an early stage I feel churlish really talking much about the material, but Sooz balances the jokes with the more narrative based stuff well, she has emerged as an able storyteller and when you're not laughing you're engaged.

Only real issue that I had is that, when using multimedia, having a punchline be an image or a video can feel a bit like an anticlimax.  She's great but while she's definitely hit her stride I don't know if she's done her best work yet.

Pink Gregory

Dani Johns - Cringe

this was a lean, efficient show from an increasingly refined performer.  A show about embarrassment that's heavy on jokes and light on introspection, which is welcome considering your typical edinburgh hour. 

Pink Gregory

Louise Leigh - Distracted

enormously silly, energetic and very, very funny, with a suprise emotional beat at the end with what was, in the room, a killer payoff

Pink Gregory

Mitch Benn

...if you can't say anything nice...

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Pink Gregory on July 07, 2024, 10:34:57 PMMitch Benn

...if you can't say anything nice...

Ha! But I'm agreement with you there, I saw him in December 2022 and though I didn't mind some of his stand up, the songs were really bland, and as they make up about 90% of the show it's a bit of a problem.

Really enjoyed all of the reviews you've posted recently btw, and I've really got to get round to seeing Katie Mitchell asap, as she sounds like the kind of act I'd really love.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 07, 2024, 11:18:52 PMI've really got to get round to seeing Katie Mitchell asap, as she sounds like the kind of act I'd really love.

You simply must, I've seen her four (wow) times in about two years and she is such a talent.

edwardfog

My favourite comedian Johnny White Really Really has released his 2023 Edinburgh show Catland on bandcamp alongside his three older shows:

https://johnnywhitereallyreally.bandcamp.com/album/catland

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 07, 2024, 11:18:52 PMHa! But I'm agreement with you there, I saw him in December 2022 and though I didn't mind some of his stand up, the songs were really bland, and as they make up about 90% of the show it's a bit of a problem.

I remember seeing Mitch Benn at the Fringe in 2017(/8?) with family, and really enjoying it, then again in 2019, post- being let go from the Now Show, with acquaintances who enjoyed it far more than me, and waiting for the mercy of it ending. I'm really not sure what changed - the vague vibe that he seemed to think he'd been cancelled from the radio, rather than simply needing to make room for younger acts?

Pink Gregory

to be fair I didn't get the impression that he was particularly bitter about it, I was a bit more engaged when he was talking about his career, but then he did anothet song and it crashed back down.

Like I'm not going to pretend that my dislike of him isn't in large part about his politics and how he expresses them, but I think my opinion of musical comedy is that the music itself has to be funny, not just some related words shoved into a conventional song.

Tiggles

Lachlan Werner: Voices of Evil @ Grub, Manchester

Another one I didn't catch at Edinburgh where I'm very glad they've decided to play Manchester so I can see it.

The story and the crowd participation are wonderfully stupid, and for such a chaotic-feeling show it's cleanly structured with a nice through-line about finding your voice.

Lachlan is utterly charmingly weird as well as being an extremely gifted ventriloquist - I'm not too familiar with the genre as a whole but it was easily the best skills I've seen. I loved how the idea of speaking through others made itself real with some different "possessions" going on before Lachlan's finally emerged victorious.

Was surprised to find out it was a debut hour; I'm fascinated to see where this act goes next.

Small Man Big Horse

Sara Pascoe (WIP) at Always Be Comedy, The Tommyfield - Mainly a show about what a nightmare having two children who are 9 months old and two years respectively, while her husband is something of a man child who doesn't seem to understand housework, with a minor aspect of it revolving around her being a vegan.  thought this was superb for a WIP, Sara's description of having kids is the exact reason I don't have any, but I love the way she told it, and this had me laughing hard throughout. 4.5/5

Small Man Big Horse

Mat Ewins - Danger Money w/th Ceyla AB and Amy Annette at The Bill Murray - I saw an earlier version of this back in January and really enjoyed it, but this came with mostly new videos and games and felt more ramshackle than the first time round. Which weirdly led me to enoy it even more, but I got the feeling Ewins was genuinely frustrated as to how parts of it went, especially as it's so close to Edinburgh now. 4.25/5

Small Man Big Horse

Katie Green ¡Ay Mija! (WIP) at Top Secret, Covent Garden - I went to this as a last minute spur of the moment decision and new nothing about Green, but I found it a very likeable hour. You can tell it's her first full length solo hour and she did occasionally lack confidence in certain segments, but then it was a fairly small audience who were sat apart from each other, and who weren't the most responsive in the world either. Right now this kind of falls in to "Really promising, she could be great in a year or so" territory for me, but it was a work in progress and so perhaps the finished show will be stronger, and despite this not being the most positive review ever I'm glad I went to see her. 3.5/5